Coopers Community

Finnings

imoulsdale

2 hours ago, James Lao said:

I harvest from starters so no issues with hops/gelatin/strong gravities affecting the yeast.

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Hi Shamus, like James I harvest from starters as well so no issues with the agents in the yeast. 

Looks like I will be reading up on yeast starters and harvesting from them.

So far I only brew from concentrate cans, with some additions.  Since I have been cold crashing my beers are much clearer.  However, the results with finings/gelatin/Polyclar take the clarity to another level, so want to give it a go.

5 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Just taking the piss mate

I spend too much time with people with multiple letters behind their name.... What does PhD stand for anyway?  They can't fix my warts and one young lass ran away crying when I showed her 

Back on subject,  sometimes it hurts when I pee 

Oh sorry different conversation 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Worthog said:

If Polyclar Brewbrite is a kettle clarifyer, what is Polyclar for post fermentation?

I forgot to respond to this question. It drops out polyphenols which are part of chill haze, they bond with proteins when the beer chills and it becomes visible as haze. The dust itself simply falls out of the beer into the trub, taking the polyphenols with it.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2018 at 4:17 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

There's another one I've been thinking about trying called biofine clear. Apparently it drops yeast and chill haze causing particles. I haven't gotten around to it yet, though I do think there are better products than gelatine available for the purpose.  

Has anyone go a view on this stuff; Whitelabs Clarity Ferm?

https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/white-labs-wlon4000-clarity-ferm

Cheers

Quick chill and gelatine works great for clarity and its probably the cheapest bar none. All my lagers I quick chill and chill haze is non existant. I waste some water which i let cool and put on the veggie garden but other than that its just the time to get it down. I love no chill for ales as im not too concerned with clarity but try it for lagers. It works.

He's probably referring to post boil, i.e. chilling the wort down to pitching temp quickly rather than putting it in a cube and leaving it like you do with no chill. I have read a few times that this helps prevent haze, but I'm happy chucking harmless plastic dust in my beers so I haven't changed my process as yet. 

At the end of the day there's no one right way, product or preference. Everyone has their own preference with clarity and their methods and products that give them the results they want, or none at all. I don't really like gelatine for example and feel there are  better products available, while others are happy with it. I went years without bothering about clarity other than using kettle finings, the main reason I started was to see what difference it would make. I kept doing it simply because I liked it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

He's probably referring to post boil, i.e. chilling the wort down to pitching temp quickly rather than putting it in a cube and leaving it like you do with no chill...

Yeah, thanks Kelsey.  Actually my 15L no-chill cube goes straight into the laundry trough of cold water to get it down to around 40c quickly, before I chuck the cube into the back room o/night to get to 18c for processing next day.

Is this a problem re astringency levels?

I  know between boil tub and cube I leave 95% of the crap behind, but my final beer clarity is crap to my mind.

I have a tannic issue due to town water mash (going back to rain) and I will get my mash to 5.2, and i'm gunna plasticise it like you do. ?

Cheers

I haven't found any astringency problems from no chill, before or after I began using polyclar, and I don't even bother cooling it in water (they do get some time in the brew fridge prior to pitching to get the temp down though). Could be the water. 

I also noted varying clarity levels from batch to batch, some were quite hazy where others weren't very hazy. It puzzled me a bit because processes didn't change even though ingredients did a little.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 9:58 AM, Worthog said:

Has anyone go a view on this stuff; Whitelabs Clarity Ferm?

https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/white-labs-wlon4000-clarity-ferm

Cheers

I have used it once, for the 'virtually gluten free' aspect of its performance. I brewed a ginger saison for my sister who reacts very badly to anything glutinous. She was fine after drinking this beer.

Incidentally it also came out crystal clear.

Cheers,

John

• Thanks 1

I've used gelatin based finnings a few times on brews that should present clearer. It did a good job improving clarity but I wasn't impressed with what I felt it stripped from the beer flavour both malt & hop derived.

If you're into "pretty" then clarifying agents in all forms will help to give you this. I won't drink "mud" & do everything I can naturally to remove particulate from my beers without sacrificing flavour. This area is a personal choice from brewer to brewer.

Cheers,

Lusty.

10 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

yep/ kettle finings is all i use.

If I full AG'd this is probably all I'd use too as being able to restrict particulate in the runnings is a very important part of clarifying the wort (IMHO). I'm lucky enough with the partial weights of grain I use that I can filter via a strainer (just!) into my FV rather than having to resort to finings such as Irish Moss etc.

Cheers,

Lusty.

If you used Irish moss or the like you probably wouldn't have to filter the wort. It is quite useful for separating wort from the unwanted crap, but it depends on your equipment I guess. Without a tap on the pot it's probably gonna get disturbed anyway. 

I didn't really like gelatine either but for other reasons, namely it causing the yeast sediment to become far more easily disturbed. I also noticed some of it settling on the sides of some bottles if the sides weren't totally vertical. Never seemed to have that happen without it.