Coopers Community

Advent Calander

supernerdy

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

I really enjoyed this, very refreshing and went nicely with a sage and rosemary roast chicken from the Dutch oven. 

hmm my idea of a Dust oven is somewhat different... somthing id rather surprise the Mrs with than think of when drinking beer.

On 12/10/2018 at 8:23 PM, porschemad911 said:

. Just enjoyed the beer I had at home more. Although I had brewed up a storm for my brother-in-law's visit so I did have a lot of nice beer at home at the time. 

Hi John, may i ask what were the beers you had on?

7 hours ago, grogdog said:

Magnificent!

I hope thats what heaven looks like if I get there.

How do you stock so many beers John, do you have multiple ferment chambers or..?

Haha thanks...

No only the one fermenter for my 11l batches, a Coopers Craft fermenter. Although I was using a jerry can as another fermenter for a couple of those batches. I just brew every 3 weeks (usually a Monday weeknight), bottle roughly 2 weeks after brew day, then don't drink too much so my stocks stick around a bit. 

Cheers, 

John 

1 minute ago, supernerdy said:

Light for an IPA but I enjoyed it. Had the hops and flavour of a good session ale.. which i guess could be classed as a 3/4 IPA?

I guess it could be classed as that. Either that or a hoppy pale. Others are calling that no mans land a XPA I think.

Just now, The Captain1525230099 said:

I guess it could be classed as that. Either that or a hoppy pale. Others are calling that no mans land a XPA I think.

XPA is another good term. I've only had the one XPA but loved it... i think to be simple though anything between an Pale and a IPA which adds hops should be a session ale. ABV was 4.2% as well so think I m happy with my opinion on that this time anyway 

2 minutes ago, supernerdy said:

XPA is another good term. I've only had the one XPA but loved it... i think to be simple though anything between an Pale and a IPA which adds hops should be a session ale. ABV was 4.2% as well so think I m happy with my opinion on that this time anyway 

Yep at 4.2 I think you’re right. Glad you enjoyed it. The thread is making me a little jealous 

1 minute ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Yep at 4.2 I think you’re right. Glad you enjoyed it. The thread is making me a little jealous 

Boozebud has been a bit of a let down but you get what you pay for. Have seen the taco ipa's and stuff in the other calendars so will see where I end up next year. So far tho the tingleberryu was the worst and went down the sink

I enjoyed that American sour from temple. I thought I read kettle soured, which explains the simplicity of the sour, but it still worked. The Hoppy sour from the boozebud was terribly out of balance, too much hops but this American sour from temple was enjoyable.

Having both calendars I can say that beer Cartel has superior beers. You do get what you pay for, 100%. My mate has the expert one and there are some cracking beers in there!

17 minutes ago, joolbag said:

I enjoyed that American sour from temple. I thought I read kettle soured, which explains the simplicity of the sour, but it still worked.

You are correct. This is what happens when you get old and try to read in poor lighting.

I really liked the Australian Brewery Pale Ale, more than I expected to. Thought the Goose Island beer was pretty underdone though ...in no way justifies the 'IPA' acronym, yes even with the 'Session' qualifier in front of it.

All I can say is there'd better be a saison and a hefeweizen in the last few somewhere! Imagine having 25 'summer' beers without an example of what I reckon are the 2 best summer styles. 

Yesterday's was a can of Big Shed XPA (Extra Pale Ale). Despite not really liking XPA much in general as I find them sort of stuck in no man's land, I really liked this beer. For some reason it reminded me of Coopers Pale Ale, but with a touch less sweetness and some nice hops. Might be my most enjoyed beer so far actually. Have never had anything from Big Shed before, so if there other stuff is up to this standard I might have to check it out.

5 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Yesterday's was a can of Big Shed XPA (Extra Pale Ale). Despite not really liking XPA much in general as I find them sort of stuck in no man's land, I really liked this beer. For some reason it reminded me of Coopers Pale Ale, but with a touch less sweetness and some nice hops. Might be my most enjoyed beer so far actually. Have never had anything from Big Shed before, so if there other stuff is up to this standard I might have to check it out.

Photo. I rather enjoyed it.

IMG_20181217_150433.jpg

Archived