Advent Calander

supernerdy

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:
1 hour ago, supernerdy said:

Wow yours looks different! Mine was absolutely crystal clear,

Maybe the glass is the difference? Also bad lighting in the room. This one had the word haze on the can so figured it was supposed to be cloudy. I have enjoyed all so far.. day one was good but wasted as I was also recovering with a hangover. Favourite so far is day 2 but I'm also an IPA man.

The beers in the Beer Cartel calendar have been fine but nothing fantastic; until tonight.

This is a 3 Ravens Xmas Trifle Milkshake IPA. It was awesome! Tasted like jelly beans (but in a good way). A well made beer.

D3F425A5-A8FF-4C7D-A38B-DFFB9622370B.thumb.jpeg.531238bc4b9429b0203e43eb70c407a1.jpeg

6 hours ago, supernerdy said:

Day 5

I found this one to be a pleasant change of pace and quite enjoyed it actually. Must be what a Munich Helles stylewise? Nice malt character although I would have preferred it to be slightly less rich and with a bit more bitterness. I followed it up with a can of Coopers Pale and enjoyed that more.

Looking forward to tonight's one. It's something that I would probably never buy but I'm interested to see if that is a mistake.

Cheers, 

John

4 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I’d say it’s because of that little 5 letter word at the bottom of the can...........

Or because it's brewed here. Of all the lagers I've tasted over the years, I've never tasted an Australian brewed version of a European originated style that holds a candle to anything actually brewed over there other than the ones I brew myself. There's always something not quite right about them. Mine aren't perfect but they are a lost closer to the target style than a lot of commercially brewed ones are, to my tastes anyway.

Just now, Otto Von Blotto said:

Or because it's brewed here. Of all the lagers I've tasted over the years, I've never tasted an Australian brewed version of a European originated style that holds a candle to anything actually brewed over there other than the ones I brew myself. There's always something not quite right about them. Mine aren't perfect but they are a lost closer to the target style than a lot of commercially brewed ones are, to my tastes anyway.

I find it amusing that whenever I say something discriminatory towards lagers you reply with something like above. Makes me giggle each time. 

On above statement, I think your right there, maybe it’s water profile, maybe it’s hop freshness, I don’t know, but there definitely is something to your statement for sure. 

Still ALL lagers taste like cats piss smells. Ha ha ha. Only kidding. 

4 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I find it amusing that whenever I say something discriminatory towards lagers you reply with something like above. Makes me giggle each time. 

On above statement, I think your right there, maybe it’s water profile, maybe it’s hop freshness, I don’t know, but there definitely is something to your statement for sure. 

Still ALL lagers taste like cats piss smells. Ha ha ha. Only kidding. 

My entire mission with the advent calendar is to learn what i like, what i don't and differences with hops. Have learnt I don't like largers. Taste like west end.

47 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

You are probably just too used to the taste of stale continental lagers.

Keep up the advent reveals guys! I got the beer cartel one as soon as it was released and am enjoying the opening of a beer each day.

with 30% off I could not resist and got the boozebud one. Long delivery time (1 week!) so I'll open a stack of them to catch up and have a solid session on the weekend. $70 for 24x craft beers. BARGAIN of the year.

@Hairy I enjoyed the newness of the trifle IPA but one was enough for me. I thought Double Taco was a good beer, my favourite so far.

Day 6 in the Beer Cartel calendar was a CVBC Red Ale.

I hadn't tried any of their beer before but this was a really well made red ale. Just enough of that slight toffee flavour so it isn't cloying and a nice balance between malt and hops. I liked it.

10 hours ago, supernerdy said:

Day 6

I'm curious, what didn't you like about it? As I said, this is a beer I would pass over on the shelf, so it was good to be forced to taste it. I didn't mind it, with the gentle tartness and light tropical fruit hop flavours. A very easy drinking beer, not really challenging in any way, but still enjoyable.

Cheers, 

John 

14 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I'm curious, what didn't you like about it? As I said, this is a beer I would pass over on the shelf, so it was good to be forced to taste it. I didn't mind it, with the gentle tartness and light tropical fruit hop flavours. A very easy drinking beer, not really challenging in any way, but still enjoyable.

Cheers, 

John 

I am a person for session ale and IPAs. Found the flavour to subtle. 

Archived