Sign in to follow this  
fearnobeer

New 2 brew

Hi brewers.firsttimer here.got a diybrew kit from big w.bottled 6 days ago using pet bottles.it was on a hot day.used the draught ingredients and 2 carbo drops.after several hours,the bottles started venting air.sum of the caps became loose,so i tighten them up,they have settled abit but theres still venting going on..any tips on what i should do would greatly appreciated..cheers.mark,

Time in the fermenter is somewhat irrelevant. What you should be looking for is two identical hydrometer readings 3 days apart to determine if fermentation has finished. It should have finished by 7 days but given the behaviour of the bottles it may not have.

I was worried about that otto,do ya think it will be ok.or should i let some air out then rettighten.

Sounds finished at 1.011, but it is beneficial to the brew to leave it sit for 2-3 more days once stable SG is achieved before bottling it. I'm guessing it was a draught kit and one of the brew enhancers?

What temperature are the bottles sitting at roughly?

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

Get one in the fridge. This has 2 benefits,

1. It will stop the carbonation process or at least slow it down to a crawl.
  2. You can drink it and see how much carbonation it has taken.

It might help you to make a decision on what to do next. 

• Like 1

Sweet, that's a good temp. I thought maybe they might be getting a bit hot which would increase pressure inside them but 19-20 degrees is perfect. 

Perhaps it is a case of fermentation not being absolutely finished before bottling. 

Your probly on the money there otto,the day i bottled.the day was very hot,maybe unstable as well.just put 1 in the fridge,ill keep your all posted for some feedback.cheers.

Hi brewers..just open my first ever diy draught beer..7 days fermentation 6 days in the bottle..colour good,plenty of bubbles only lacks a head..been drinking pale ale and sparkling from the bottle shop,for a few months,so iam abit spoiled for consistency, what to do with the other 29 pet bottles.should i give them another week in storage or wack em in the fridge and drink em over the next week,,would appreciate any feedback from the crew out there,,cheers

I'd let them age a bit longer before drinking them. And probably keep an eye out in case they start venting again

• Like 1