Coopers Community

Diacetyl rest for ales

The Captain!!

I know, but if you'd left it at lager ferment temp for 3 or 4 weeks, it likely would have not turned out that way. Raising the temperature speeds up the process, it doesn't cause it. 

There is also a theory that pitching it cold (i.e. at it below ferment temp) can also assist by way of largely preventing it happening in the first place. 

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I know, but if you'd left it at lager ferment temp for 3 or 4 weeks, it likely would have not turned out that way. Raising the temperature speeds up the process, it doesn't cause it. 

There is also a theory that pitching it cold (i.e. at it below ferment temp) can also assist by way of largely preventing it happening in the first place. 

I've read much the same literature as you have on this too Kelsey & it likely has all the theoretical merit in the world, but having experienced the diacetyl butterscotch flavour firsthand, it is not something I personally will ever trifle with again by mistiming the elevated temp rest towards the end of primary ferment. I admit I was very naive about it until I experienced it.

If others wish to play around with a slower way of dealing with this particular byproduct produced by fermentation then that is certainly their choice.

Not this little black duck though.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Is it an ale or a lager yeast fermented brew? It sounds like an ale.

Cheers mate - yes AG numero uno and an Ale at 18degC...  the butterscotch aroma is abating so maybe the yeast have moved through that and are out the other side... ?

22 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Bearded Burbler. 

Please refrain from using such vulgar language on this forum......... think about the kids....🤪

Done well Kapitan!

I was going to reply "Gold" as in 'well done - great joke'... but mentioning 'Gold' would prolly make things even worse 😜

• Haha 2