Coopers Community

IPA Recipe

G'day everyone,

Its been a while since i was active here or brewing alltogether - work, family and bills kept me away from it but i am out of beer and tired of storebought and itching to whip a batch ..... its time !!!! 

As the weather is much warmer now and i cant do lagers as i dont have temp control i will brew an IPA. Only did the coopers twice - one time excellent, second time it went down the drain.

I will use the 1.5 kgs of DME as recommended but will for sure get more yeast (any suggestions which one is good for higher tepms - around 22?) but can you guys suggest any good hop additions for the boil (and boiling times) and dry hop ? Couldnt really find a good recepie online so i though you guys could give me a bit of hand.

Cheers and cant wait to go shopping on Sunday

Why not branch out and do a recipe with plain extract, some grains and hops? Simple, and you can construct your own beer. Buy a tin of Coopers pale liquid extract and 1.5kg of DME, and some crystal malt, which you will steep in 2-3 litres hot water for about 30 minutes. In the biggest pan you have. Then boil the water (top up to at least 6 litres or so) with hops and a bit of the extract, to create the bitterness. Add it to the FV with the rest of the extract, and water, and add lots of dry hops later for the IPA aroma. For example, at a very simple but effective level...

For 21 Litres  1054   5.5%   40-50 IBUs

• Coopers Pale malt can + 1.5kg DME
  • 250g Crystal malt
  • 50g Centennial hops boiled for 30 minutes
  • 50g Cascade hops - Dry Hop (Or Citra, Amarillo, Mosaic, Simcoe etc)
  • 50g Centennial Hops - Dry Hop
  • US05 yeast (or 2 packs of Coopers kit yeast is fine, both are good up to 25ish)

You can change the hops to suit your tastes. Citra and Amarillo is a great combo, for example. But you may prefer to use English hops, or Aussie, or Kiwi. I often mix English and American. I'm English, after all, I was weaned on English beer. I like First Gold, Challenger, Northdown, Styrian Goldings, Brewer's Gold, Progress and others. I love Galaxy and Vic Secret, and Nelson, Riwaka and Motueka too, mind.

For the 30 minute boil find a hop that has an AA% between about 8% and 12% to keep the bitterness about right for the recipe above, or you can adjust the amount of hops or boil for longer.

It's not an exact science, the IBU thing. And brewing isn't rocket science.  ?

I did a recipe with the coopers international Lager that was pretty good and simple.

1 coopers international lager

1 brew enhancer 3

mangrove Jack's m42 yeast, the kit yeast is a lager yeast so you have to sub it out. For high temps I would maybe try Nottingham or the m42 yeast.

boil 500g of the BE3 for 15 minutes after 10 minutes add 20g of centennial, Amarillo and simcoe, then after 5 more minutes turn the heat off and place the pot in a bath of cool water and ice add 60g of centennial and 20g of Amarillo and simcoe, and stir the pot to create a whirlpool and to help cool the wort. Let steep for 10 to 20 minutes.

Dry hop with 60g of each of the above hop.

IBUS 43ish depends on how fast the wort cools in the whirlpool.

OG 1.045 FG 1.010

once FG has been reached dry hop for 3 days and then bottle. Wait 3 weeks to drink, but start tasting them after 10 days, because it gives you an idea of how the beer changes with age.

This is just a suggestion to get your mind going on the possibilities, like Phil above.

Good brewing

Norris

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

I did a recipe with the coopers international Lager that was pretty good and simple.

1 coopers international lager

1 brew enhancer 3

mangrove Jack's m42 yeast, the kit yeast is a lager yeast so you have to sub it out. For high temps I would maybe try Nottingham or the m42 yeast.

boil 500g of the BE3 for 15 minutes after 10 minutes add 20g of centennial, Amarillo and simcoe, then after 5 more minutes turn the heat off and place the pot in a bath of cool water and ice add 60g of centennial and 20g of Amarillo and simcoe, and stir the pot to create a whirlpool and to help cool the wort. Let steep for 10 to 20 minutes.

Dry hop with 60g of each of the above hop.

IBUS 43ish depends on how fast the wort cools in the whirlpool.

OG 1.045 FG 1.010

once FG has been reached dry hop for 3 days and then bottle. Wait 3 weeks to drink, but start tasting them after 10 days, because it gives you an idea of how the beer changes with age.

This is just a suggestion to get your mind going on the possibilities, like Phil above.

Good brewing

Norris

Sounds really good however i cant really brew lagers now as i do not have fridge so i need to work with higher temps .. thats why i will be brewing ales over summer

Yup, you are just using the coopers lager as a base for the bitterness, I would sub it out for the coopers pale ale. But in my comment I said to sub out the yeast for something else, which then makes it an ale along with the additional hops. The lager as  a base is pretty bitter and clean which allows the hops to shine, so that was why I used it the first time, to make an ale. I have also done a similar recipe, with a cerveza kit, different hops, galaxy, citra and azacca. It wasnt as bitter but was nice and hoppy, but it needed more malt or a maltier base to offset the hops.

But it was really to just to get you thinking about what can be done quick and simple.

Good brewing

Archived