Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

On 7/31/2021 at 5:44 AM, Aussiekraut said:

A quick visit to White Lies Brewing this morning, to get some lockdown brews…not that I don’t have any of my own 😀

This one is called Milk & Six Sugars…Thanks. A coffee pastry stout with a slightly elevated ABV content of 10.5%. Very heavy, sweet and coffeish beer. Not bad at all but at this level, it is hard to disguise the alcohol. I’d like to see it a little more creamy though. I’m glad I only poured a small glass. I have more beers to taste and try 😀 I was planning on doing some work today but I think I will leave it until tomorrow 😂

155A07A7-4693-45CA-AA2D-C9E2C9577FE5.thumb.jpeg.3f461e707369f15d628734ec826da1f9.jpeg

@Aussiekraut Dunno what the mug behind the glass says but it looks interesting 🤔 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

image.thumb.png.bc7a6e2a6920b6af2f3865b92f10d959.png

A few much needed days off sees us down in Margaret River.  And yesterday afternoon a visit to Black Brewing for some research.

Pale Ale - refreshing, clean. No real distinct hope flavour but enough bitterness to make this very drinkable in the summertime.

Session Ale - Good restrained pine/resin flavour enhance the sessionability of this one.

Coconut Porter - Not for me. A typical porter "enhanced" by coconut. Gets cloying.

Bad Boy Bao Bao - Milk stout with some good coffee/chocolate flavour ruined with added marshmallow/strawberry milkshake flavours - don't know how they achieve this - sure its on their web. This is a seasonal version of their regular Bao Bao. Might be a nice stout without the sweet additions. Not for me. 

Anyway I chose the latter two suspecting I wouldn't like them - but this is for research after all.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

image.thumb.png.4a35dfab1b750a33c706e8465b44d906.png

Next was Margaret River Brewhouse

Kolsch - Nice colour and slight floral notes - a good rendition of this style.

Lager - Very obviously Australian in style with Pride of Ringwood prominent. Clean, refreshing, but kind've why bother?

Groper - nice mid-strength with an interesting amarillo/EKG hop mix make this very sessionable.

Pale - Nice pine/resin flavour, very refreshing.

8 Ball Double IPA - The one seasonal I tried. Tropical fruit salad in a glass - banana, citrus, pineapple, stone fruits - its all there! Actually made me feel a little nauseous. Not for me.

Red IPA - Similar flavours to the Pale but with a bit more malt. Nice.

Brown - Dry choc flavours, but a bit too clean tasting for my liking.

Stout - Typical roasty/coffee flavours. Initially I thought I liked this one, and I followed up the paddle with a pint of this - however this revealed an underlying fruity flavour that I did not enjoy. Struggled to finish it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RoyalDave said:

A few much needed days off sees us down in Margaret River.  And yesterday afternoon a visit to Black Brewing for some research.

@RoyalDave  That's a pretty good day out trying all of those beers, I lived in Perth in the late 70's for a few years, haven't been back since, I have been to Margaret River before but those Breweries probably weren't there then. I travelled the whole state selling stuff to pubs for years. 

Keep up the good work. 🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ziggy  Red IPA
brewery valhalla  in Geelong
Abv 6.0%

Last Sunday  did a creft beer scene around a couple of craft brewries  and basicly decided to try 3 pints at both placesi went to

Valhalla brewery rather intesting setup in how these guys brew there beer   and was featured on the Beer Pioneer with Matt Stewart

Valhalla  dont brew on premise like some craft brewies and they dont even brew on there own equipment they  basicly use other brewies that alow them to come and brew on there equipment.

anyway this was the last port of call at this one as the the sensible one was getting board as she could drink and she doesnt like beer

I stumbled on the Ziggy Red ipa by accident as i was looking forward to trying a guest stout but the keg blew in front of me and unfortunately got a small sample of the guest stout   but thought well lets try the ziggy red ipa to finish off

i was pleasantly surprised  as i was really expecting it to be malty but wasnt the case it was quite refreshing with a smooth mouth feel  where i got the taste the rye giving off a  spicey oak flavour with a hit of raspberry

bitterness was there but was well balanced with in the style    there was a small aroma but  didnt linger for long in my opinion.

@ 6.0  the alcohol is hidden amongst the  carry on and i could easily sit down to a couple of these  but will soon catch up and hit you

This beer was named after the man ziggy stardust the greatest rock star of all time1622822779_ziggyredipa.thumb.jpg.10f738cecbe3a111b00630163e4b927a.jpg

I did try this on Tap and i brought a can home with me to enjoy this weekend 

• Like 3

Today's Tastings... well yesterday... well certainly not from today when the world became a better place as AG Keg Beer came back on line... below... megaswill desperation beer on spesh... nice bubbles... nice texture... and that's about it... nothing much more 🥱

Certainly did not deserve a beer photo...

image.thumb.png.f5f834d25dd6370926fc8e2ff55dc3ee.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ozdevil said:

I did try this on Tap and i brought a can home with me to enjoy this weekend 

Hey OD while you were there you shoulda nicked some coasters 😈 possibly safer than a phone box ! 

If they are 6% it wouldn't take too many before placement on the table malfunctions 😜  only trying to help.

22 hours ago, Graubart said:

Today's Tastings... well yesterday... well certainly not from today when the world became a better place as AG Keg Beer came back on line... below... megaswill desperation beer on spesh... nice bubbles... nice texture... and that's about it... nothing much more 🥱

Certainly did not deserve a beer photo...

Graubster I assume that little lot was a warm up before for tackled  your lovely AG brew. I have never tried it. 

乾杯    Cheers 

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey OD while you were there you shoulda nicked some coasters 😈 possibly safer than a phone box ! 

If they are 6% it wouldn't take too many before placement on the table malfunctions 😜  only trying to help.

Phil coasters are not meant for placing beer on,  they are meant for keepin bugs and flies out of your beer   

dont worry the beer is not sitting on the phone box all that long

i do use coasters  from time to time lol

Cheers for your help

Just now, ozdevil said:

Phil coasters are not meant for placing beer on,  they are meant for keepin bugs and flies out of your beer   

I was only joking, I also sell coasters in my list of promo products & they are used extensively in Hotels/Motels/Clubs etc for placing drinks on as well as being a valuable marketing tool.  They are placed in most licensed premises for the reason of advertising/promotion.

If people nick them they have served there purpose. I am aware in the Outback areas & at outdoor functions, BBQ's etc some folk use them for drink protectors.

All good

Cheers.