Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

19 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I know that some of you guys don't like this, Shepherd Neame Kentish Strong Ale, but I reckon that it is OK. My favourite in the Shepherd Neame range remains their IPA, it is such a great traditional English IPA.

It is sort of against our Aussie upbringing, but this Kentish Strong needs to be consumed at English cellar temps of about 12°C to get its full taste experience.

2291e.JPG

Us Mexicans are just a little green with envy looking at this pic....it's wintery weather here and we're  2/3rds the way through Spring.

• Like 1

The whole reason why I got the pack in the first place was the Korbinian, as I couldn’t get it anywhere else. Reading about it I just got really curious. And it didn’t disappoint. It’s a thick, sweet, dark and complex DoppelBock, with the 7.4% slowly creeping up on you. A exceptional drop to chill out in the late afternoon in the backyard. Luckily I’ve ordered two, so I can do it all again tomorrow.

3B4097DC-8F0F-461C-A4F2-B32F95B6F5A9.jpeg

• Like 9

Great Beer, Interesting facts

Forbidden as it was to brew in summer, a stronger beer – the Märzen – was brewed earlier in March. It would finally be served at the Oktoberfest, under the “Heaven of Bavaria”. We have returned once again to the age-old recipe and recreated that gloriously smooth, honey-coloured piece of history from times gone by. And all is brewed with due reverence to the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516.During the first years of the Oktoberfest, the Bavarian brewing law from 1539 stipulated that beer could only be brewed between the “Michaeli” or St. Michael’s day on September 29 and St. George’s feast day, April 23. It was forbidden to brew in the summer because the boiling process was considered a fire hazard. Moreover, bottom-fermented beer needs a temperature between 4–6°C for fermentation. Of course, no one wanted to forgo the pleasures of beer drinking in the summer, so a surplus quantity was brewed. And such are the origins of the beer known as Märzen. The last beer brewed at the end of the brewing season was given a higher gravity to increase its shelf life, since Märzen beer was to be sold throughout the summer and during the fall’s folks festivals.

IMG_3668.JPG

• Like 7

Another delicious Doppelbock    ABV 7.3%

Bottom-fermented, bock beer, pearl hops, Dark barley malt, caramel malt, colored malt.                                                                      Malty-aromatic, sweet, intense fragrance, strong taste, reminiscent of a light note of coffee

IMG_3669 (2).JPG

• Like 6

It doesn't happen often that I can't finish half a glass of beer, but this one did it to me. It is utterly delicious, just a bit strong.

Schneider Aventinus Eisbock                                                                                                                                                                    Magic and a black soul - the mahogany coloured, almost black "Eisbock" for sensuous indulgence, best served in a balloon glas. Matured in a special freezing process following a special recipe, with a soft, elegant body, but still intensive. Spicy flavours of plum, banana and clove reveal themselves along with a hint of bitter almond and marzipan. Tempting as digestif, to crepes, dark chocolate, Tiramisu and fully ripe parmesan cheese.

IMG_3684.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

It doesn't happen often that I can't finish half a glass of beer, but this one did it to me. It is utterly delicious, just a bit strong.

Schneider Aventinus Eisbock                                                                                                                                                                    Magic and a black soul - the mahogany coloured, almost black "Eisbock" for sensuous indulgence, best served in a balloon glas. Matured in a special freezing process following a special recipe, with a soft, elegant body, but still intensive. Spicy flavours of plum, banana and clove reveal themselves along with a hint of bitter almond and marzipan. Tempting as digestif, to crepes, dark chocolate, Tiramisu and fully ripe parmesan cheese.

IMG_3684.JPG

Yeah, I agree it looks nice, probably tastes nice but you wonder is 12% really necessary? I am no wowser & I can handle high ABV beers, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, I agree it looks nice, probably tastes nice but you wonder is 12% really necessary? I am no wowser & I can handle high ABV beers, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

The taste and mouthfeel is very nice, it’s like a port, thick, sweet, exactly as it did get described, intense and concentrated. It’s not a day to day beer, but for special occasions. It is an interesting process to produce it. Found an interesting anecdote about its discovery     https://learn.kegerator.com/eisbock/

• Like 3

On 11/1/2022 at 7:51 AM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I know, October is finished, but my parcel from Beercartel only arrived yesterday (still in October). I blame @Aussiekrautfor posting all the delicious German Beers, so I had to get myself a little present of beers I haven’t tried before.

And the first one is just sensational. The Frankonian Benediktiner monks just knew what to do. During times of fasting liquid was allowed, so they created this beautiful liquid food. 8% of malt, hops and their own spring water goodness. I would have got vision as well drinking this beautiful brew all day.

0CB1196B-D384-4127-9BAF-102E77A76606.png

Holy Cow! 8% beer on an empty stomach 😳

• Haha 1

I reached a milestone today that I don't know if I should celebrate. In one of the bars I used to frequent a lot when I worked in the city, the manager was checking the security cameras from home and saw I was here so told the bar staff he'd sort out the next round. I can't decide if being shouted a beer from a manager that isn't even at the pub is an achievement or an indication that I drink too much. Anyway, the "Maybe one more PSI" from verdant brewing in England was the most expensive beer on tap so that's what I chose for my freebie. Was really quite nice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2