Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I managed to hide a few of these from the Easter weekend onslaught of visitors, I must say I am glad I did, it really is a smooth drinking Ale with a lovely creamy head. I will buy this again. ☘️

They call that Smithwicks here. I’ll post a pic shortly Phil, as soon as it’s a socially acceptable time to go to the pub 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, stquinto said:

They call that Smithwicks here. I’ll post a pic shortly Phil, as soon as it’s a socially acceptable time to go to the pub 🤣

Smithwicks is just so much better than Kilkenny. Apparently becuse it would be hard to properly pronounce the name Smithwicks (it's like Smitticks) and because the taste of Kilkenny is more to international taste buds, they decided to not export it. I think the real reason is that they want to keep the good stuff for themselves. Smithwicks Red is a lovely drop. I practically lived on it when we toured Ireland 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

And the journey continues…

Tanned Fruit from Backet Brewing. It’s an Imperial Fruited Sour and at 10.2% abv, it does pack a serious punch. The alcohol is well masked but so is the fruit flavour. It is sour and all but the fruit don’t seem to be too recognizable. It more like a compote. And did I mention it packs a punch?

D8FFB92D-F0F7-4D71-9CCF-2553E973311E.thumb.jpeg.393dc8b5e7fe07150b3f8e1f5ffdcf0c.jpeg 

This one is more like it. Summer of Sour from Aether Brewing. It is a Forest Berry Sour and at 8.2% abv, not much more tame than the above. Again, the alcohol taste is well masked, maybe it is the sourness doing it. I can identify some berries in it but am not sure if raspberries or black betties really are forest berries tbh. It is nice but.

C0274681-C7F6-4065-8F1E-B64A54BE7404.thumb.jpeg.ac7893c5fb92cc0318120dbd55d65bdd.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

They both look good AK, pretty big ABV -are you planning an early night. 🤣

Yeah they are a little heavy. I still have some peanut butter stout at 7%. two of there on top and I will sleep very well 🙂 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah they are a little heavy. I still have some peanut butter stout at 7%. two of there on top and I will sleep very well 🙂 

Struth Ruth !! It's good to try different ones, I find some don't mask the alcohol that well, but there are some beauties out there, Cheers. 🛏️

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Struth Ruth !! It's good to try different ones, I find some don't mask the alcohol that well, but there are some beauties out there, Cheers. 🛏️

That's why I am not normally a fan of >7% abv beers. Most of them just have this sharp taste that IMHO ruins the beer. If I want to taste alcohol, I have a shot of Vodka. Others mask the alc a lot better. I guess it depends on the style and the brewer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

That's why I am not normally a fan of >7% abv beers. Most of them just have this sharp taste that IMHO ruins the beer. If I want to taste alcohol, I have a shot of Vodka. Others mask the alc a lot better. I guess it depends on the style and the brewer. 

I know exactly what you mean, I am a huge fan of Vodka, among my favourites are Russian Standard or Finnish but your talking about 40% ABV however it is not the same experience in beer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Hmmm I'm pretty sure I meant to say "Two of them on top of what I already had..."

I clearly was slightly affected by those two beers 😂 

• Haha 6