Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

On 2/26/2019 at 5:55 PM, MitchBastard said:

Todays tastings.... might not get through them all today but who knows.

Let me know what you think of the Newstead Pale Ale. Really liked it when they first opened in the original place at Newstead but went off the boil a bit when they expanded to the second brew house at Milton.

I used to walk past it to get to Green Beacon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewBrews said:

Let me know what you think of the Newstead Pale Ale. Really liked it when they first opened in the original place at Newstead but went off the boil a bit when they expanded to the second brew house at Milton.

I used to walk past it to get to Green Beacon.

There are other pales I prefer but I do like it every now and then.  It’s the one I like. Lay out of their line up. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 10:01 PM, Smash said:

Odd one this one, quite malt forward compared to what I was expecting.

Should be nice and hoppy if it's fresh, what was the date on the can? But yeah with the red IPAs the malt flavour comes through more than with a normal IPA. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Should be nice and hoppy if it's fresh, what was the date on the can? But yeah with the red IPAs the malt flavour comes through more than with a normal IPA. 

Cheers, 

John 

Wasn't like that at all! More like a Brown ale really. Can is long gone so I can't check also 

3 hours ago, Smash said:

Wasn't like that at all! More like a Brown ale really. Can is long gone so I can't check also 

Yeah doesn't sound right at all, I had a couple of cans recently and there was definitely a nice hop hit. Try the BentSpoke Red Nut if you can find it, I prefer that to the Capital Evil Eye.

Cheers, 

John

• Like 1

A couple of Tiger variants.

DSC_0106.JPG

The white is a Belgian wit and the black is a lager darkened with black rice (so an Asian schwarzbier?) Both are inoffensive, neither is memorable. I prefer the black.

Cheers, 

John

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 1

Went to bridge road brewery today for lunch and beers.

Got a few I hadn't tried. Their "Mayday hills table beer" is a cracker sour. Their recent raspberry IPA/sour is also good...IPA at the start, then subtle raspberry finish that's sweet. 

Tried the magical unicorn beer (ice cream ale/neipa style), bit sweet for me. 

Also got one of these to try..."Fat man, red suit, big sack"! If you like red ales and IPA's...have a crack at these when Christmas rolls around, or if you can find some. Great red colour (sorry I didn't get it in the pic), good toffee and caramel flavour, then the hops punch through. Not a dense beer, but still heavy. I'd struggle drinking it on a hot Christmas day!

Great tour guide as well, very knowledgeable, got lucky it was just me and the missus. Great to see a big micro brewery and how it's still so hands on!

IMG_20190309_200707.jpg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

Hmmm. I like that one. Haven’t had a dark ale for a while but might have to change that!

Only so many hoppy pales you can have before getting onto the darks!

• Like 1

Went to a beer tasting this week. Cost $$, but the glasses were included.

20190313_205523_resized.thumb.jpg.5ceee74dac144456e68ca481f1080cd3.jpg

Tasted Beacon Wayfarer, Bridge Road little bling session IPA and 4 Pines stout in the relevant glasses. We also swigged from the can and pub glasses to see the difference.

Only the 4 pines impressed. Even quality beer glasses couldn't make the other 2 shine. They make my beer taste pretty good though.