Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

On 12/15/2018 at 7:15 AM, NewBrews said:

Keen to try an all grain version, but don’t want to go nuts on my first ag batch. Have a nice little AG Blue Moon clone to try in slot 1, and then have a go at the porter after that.

Just doing a couple of 11l BIAB batches in my $20 bigW pot to see how it goes before the slide into the rabbit hole.

It can’t be that big a leap from a 30 min grain steep....

NewBrews what is the easiest way in to the amazing world of AG - just a Big Pot on the Stove with a Stainless Steel or Cloth Basket - or an Urn with a false bottom...  there are all these 'AMAZING ELECTRONIC U-BEAUT GADGETS' out there for loadsa $$$ that seem to then have all sorts of terrible problems with electronics and pumps and seals and all sorts...

If we just need to keep a reasonable temperature 62-70 for a set time period... either get the AG malted grain ground or grind it ourself...  then steep to solve out the sugars... then boil with festive bittering hops and then throw a late hop in...  seems like step mashing is out... sparging to ensure capture of soluble sugars maybe a tough gig with hot grain baskets... ?

Do we need a $400 Robobrew with dodgy switches or some even more expensive Grainfather kiwi machine that has its own problems...

Or do we just get an Urn or a massive pot... and do our best with that?

I guess I've boiled a few LDME worts over too which was not much fun...  but I am no electronics expert and really have no desire to get into a shitttt-fight with a supplier with e-gadgetry that fails with dodgy switches after a few brews....

Any suggestions mate or the great big brewing brains trust...

• Like 1

😀

Hence the $20 pot.

I do have a 50l keg in the shed, that looks like it could be suitable as a “keggle” if I decide to go bigger. Mate bought it at a clearing sale and was planning on using it for a horse water bucket.

Ive looked at all the flashy things, but just don’t have the cash or desire to spend that much on it.

There was a full setup on line for $200 the other day...

• Like 1

Cheers NB.  Yes I think I will try to start with something a bit more basic...

I have a relatively new 20kg bag of LDME and some kits that need using first so I have got a bit of time to think about it...

Maybe do what you have been doing and do some augmenting with all-grain adjuncts... 

but it is deffo good to get out there and see what everyone else is doing ; )

Cos one day it would be nice to be using malted grain and not processed liquid or dry extracts I reckon.

• Like 1

Here's what I would do (and mostly have done, minus the big enough pot).

Buy a big cooler (3x your intended fermenter volume to allow for big beers) with a drain valve, add bazooka screen and ball valve - there's your mash tun. Buy a pot big enough to double as your hot liquor tank and boil kettle (2 - 3x your intended fermenter volume). 

One factor to keep the price down. Consider a smaller batch size which means buying smaller equipment (cheaper) and let's you use the kitchen stove (no need for a burner or element).

Another factor to keep the price down. Consider no-chill in the kettle - no chiller, cube, ball valve on your kettle or siphon needed. 

One factor to save on time. Consider a no-sparge mash, you're then just going from hlt to mash tun to boil kettle.

One factor to save on mess. No BIAB - saves wort dripping everywhere, which it will do.

Cheers, 

John

• Like 2

On 12/19/2018 at 2:45 PM, porschemad911 said:

Here's what I would do (and mostly have done, minus the big enough pot).

Cheers, 

John

That is Gold thanks John. 

I am going to have to do a bit more reading and try to understand the whole batch-heat-liquor transfer-process better and glean what I can from the extensive discussions on this site.

Already what you have pointed out above has been really useful - and will help fashion out where I need to go.  Thank you!

I think the smaller batch size is good -  and I like the idea of the variety and experimentation that such an approach will assist.

And for a start - a no sparge  process would be Gold too - less hot liquor dripping everywhere causing mayhem...  Good advice.

Great advice. Thank you.  The Rabbit Hole deepens...........   ; )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

That is Gold thanks John. 

Glad to be of help. I've tried a few methods, BIAB, batch sparge with 2 different mash tuns and 3 different lautering methods, no sparge with a 3rd mash tun and this is what I've settled on as the perfect setup for me.

Good luck!

Cheers, 

John

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Glad to be of help. I've tried a few methods, BIAB, batch sparge with 2 different mash tuns and 3 different lautering methods, no sparge with a 3rd mash tun and this is what I've settled on as the perfect setup for me.

Good luck!

Cheers, 

John

Thanks John.  It's really good to get the inside-run from those who have gone before!

Thanks mate.

I've just been doing BIAB in an urn for the last 6 years or so. I could probably improve efficiency in terms of amount of trub loss, and probably extract weight on a multi vessel system but those aren't enough for me to make the switch. Higher efficiency doesn't mean the beer is any better, you just use a bit less grain to hit the same OG. 

I've found lifting the bag by hand usually results in spills, but if I attach it to a pulley it's fine. Thankfully I can use such a setup again here brcause it's a hell of a lot easier. Also makes it a lot easier to squeeze the bag after it drains out having it hanging instead of sitting on a rack on top of the urn.

This is all based on a 40 litre urn brewing 21 and 25 litre batches. I get the experimentation angle of brewing smaller batches but I'm largely past that stage anyway, though I could use my urn to make smaller batches if I wanted to. With small equipment you're restricted to small batches. Other than the experimentation I don't see much attraction in spending 4-6 hours brewing to end up with a measly 10 or so litres at the end of it. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

... measly 10 or so litres at the end of it.

Measly? 10l is heaps, at least a case! It builds up quick... I've got a case of brown ale, a case of mead, a case of English IPA, a case of saison and a few litres of Doppelbock and pale ale in the cupboard, even with my 'measly' batch size. 

Cheers, 

John

On 12/20/2018 at 10:03 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I've just been doing BIAB in an urn for the last 6 years or so. I could probably improve efficiency in terms of amount of trub loss, and probably extract weight on a multi vessel system but those aren't enough for me to make the switch. Higher efficiency doesn't mean the beer is any better, you just use a bit less grain to hit the same OG. 

Thanks OVB - really good information.  With the bag - sorry for my ignorance - is this a textile thing or do you use a stainless basket?

On 12/21/2018 at 6:15 AM, porschemad911 said:

Measly? 10l is heaps, at least a case! It builds up quick... I've got a case of brown ale, a case of mead, a case of English IPA, a case of saison and a few litres of Doppelbock and pale ale in the cupboard, even with my 'measly' batch size.

Hey John - I see the opportunity too for more variety with the small batches - and investigation capability - but it does seem a lot of work for less Litres.

However, I am moving towards the brew fridge opportunity and think I might be able to fit one big FV and one small one in... maybe the best of both worlds 😆

Anyway... should not count me chooks before they hatch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Thanks OVB - really good information.  With the bag - sorry for my ignorance - is this a textile thing or do you use a stainless basket?

You can make them out of Swiss voile material I think it is. However,  I just bought one already made. I think it's made from nylon.

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2018 at 10:03 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

So if you use one vessel with plenty of heating capacity and a false floor to avoid burn-on etc - and can winch the spent grain out after mashing at whatever temperature regime required - if you forgo the sparge (and only like you say end up using a little more grain that way) - you can do whatever hop boil and then cool it down and pipe into fermenter?  So you don't need 3 vessels (a beautiful thing but costs more and takes up quite a bit of space) and can do an all grain brew that way with not too much establishment cost and room required...  obviously an appropriate textile bag would do the trick - or one of these stainless baskets like the below... cheap SS material quality might be an issue here too I guess...

I think one of your key points is the business of getting the basket or bag up and out of the hot liquor without incident and some sort of winch arrangement would be v good (thanks).

image.png.09a50353879e4b3c8c14309cd53111f0.png

Definitely don't need three vessels. The one vessel systems like BIAB use all the water for the batch at the beginning, rather than a lesser amount for the mash then sparging later. 

The other thing you'd have to look at with stainless mesh things is that the mesh is fine enough to stop grain particles getting through it. The holes in the nylon grain bags are fractions of a millimetre in size by the looks of it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A few photos from yesterdays tastings. Tried a Big Shed Strawberry NEIPA, not a fan of it at all. Had a few Fox Hat XPAs and PL Mosaic IPAs, both were great on tap. Had a taster of a Pirate Life Whiskey Barrel Stout, I didn't buy it but I heard its about $40 a longneck. Really nice. 

20190209_142750.jpg

20190209_165343.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 12:28 AM, James of Bayswater said:

beer-saugvinonale2-tb.png

Red Dot Savignon Ale.  Brewed west of Melbourne.  On clearance from Aldi for $8 a six pack.  I only bought it because of the price.  

The first one left me with green grass, grapefruit and citrus notes.  I thought it 'peculiar'.  By the third I thought it was 'interesting' and was beginning to appreciate the blend of beer and wine yeasts that gave it its savignon designation.  And I had a hankering for prawns.  

The last three sold me. I realised I was drinking this beer purely for the experience of drinking this beer.  I was enjoying the experience of exploring it.   This is well made, interesting beer and way underpriced. 

Curried prawns.  I want curried prawns.  

I am going back to buy as many as I can carry in the morning before they run out at the price.

I have been sampling some of these over the last couple of weeks. It is a surprisingly interesting beer and made me revisit an old Brewing Network podcast with Shea Comfort on blending wine and beer yeasts as well as using oak and enzymes. Can't recommend that episode enough, some great info. I am keen to try something similar for fun, maybe ferment 30% of my wort with a wine strain, 70% with a beer strain and play with some blending. I'll have to get another little jerry can, mine finally succumbed to Starsan as they will over time. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911

A few beers this weekend but lazy on the photos

4x Balter IPS

6x Slow Brew Session IPA

1x mimatch IPA

I liked all 3 but the session ipa had some amount of bitternes to it. Mismatch IPA was good and subtle.. really hit you and had a good amount of citrus.'

I've had the balter IPA before and liked it althouGh meant to try the XPA

Good news is a mates in Adelaide from Canberra. He has picked me up a 4 pack of Bentspoke sprocket.. looking forward to it

On 2/17/2019 at 5:18 PM, supernerdy said:

Good news is a mates in Adelaide from Canberra. He has picked me up a 4 pack of Bentspoke sprocket.. looking forward to it

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it's a pretty good beer. Nice clean, crisp malt and big tropical hops. Needs more bitterness though, all the BentSpoke beers do IMO, although that's personal taste. All very well made beers. 

Cheers, 

John