Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

On 9/25/2022 at 10:07 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Tonight's beer

Banana yeast aroma.  I feel I am wishing for some clove too, but I do not think there is any there.  It seems a bit dark for a Weissbier.  Smooth drinking.  Mild bitterness.  Quite nice.

IMG_3249.JPG.8522d7e643d868aafefd24c9bf2904f2.JPG

Had one just now, find it far to gassy. Not even close to Weihenstephaner or Maisel’s in mho

• Sad 1

I saw this at uncle Dan’s the other day and thought I give it a try. Empire Fruit Beer by CUB. Didn’t know the latter until I cracked the first can. It’s fruity and refreshing and all but is it beer? The lack of head retention isn’t a biggie but the absence of even a trace of froth when pouring is. It looks like beer but that is as far as it goes. No detectable hop flavour or bitterness, no malt flavour and no mouthfeel at all. It’s a slightly fizzy fruit drink and as such, I quite like it but IMHO, it isn’t beer. Sorry CUB, epic fail! 

D5ECF69C-DE66-41AA-8A71-FFED862E60C3.thumb.jpeg.cf7dd1356c12d735169f05667253744e.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Had one just now, find it far to gassy. Not even close to Weihenstephaner or Maisel’s in mho

The Schneider “original” is one of my absolute favourite Hefeweizen. Some thing I cannot say about Maisel’s or even worse Schöfferhofer. 
IMHO top of the list are Unertl, Schneider, Weihenstephaner, Maxlrainer and Erdinger, in no particular order. When we moved from Bavaria to Rhineland Palatinate when I was a teenager, I was shocked about the lack of Hefeweizen. You could get Schöfferhofer and, well, Schöfferhofer. For somebody being spoilt for choice and quality, this was a disaster 😂 Karlsberg from the Saarland introduced a quite nice HW in the early/mid 80s, which was a relief but I don’t think it lasted 5 years. But by then, the good stuff was coming from Bavaria because people had come to their senses and rejected inferior products like Schöfferhofer😂 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I saw this at uncle Dan’s the other day and thought I give it a try. Empire Fruit Beer by CUB. Didn’t know the latter until I cracked the first can. It’s fruity and refreshing and all but is it beer? The lack of head retention isn’t a biggie but the absence of even a trace of froth when pouring is. It looks like beer but that is as far as it goes. No detectable hop flavour or bitterness, no malt flavour and no mouthfeel at all. It’s a slightly fizzy fruit drink and as such, I quite like it but IMHO, it isn’t beer. Sorry CUB, epic fail! 

D5ECF69C-DE66-41AA-8A71-FFED862E60C3.thumb.jpeg.cf7dd1356c12d735169f05667253744e.jpeg

Yeah, I saw them advertised & we all get emails about them, but it never excited me from the start & I will definitely not be buying it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

The Schneider “original” is one of my absolute favourite Hefeweizen. Some thing I cannot say about Maisel’s or even worse Schöfferhofer. 
IMHO top of the list are Unertl, Schneider, Weihenstephaner, Maxlrainer and Erdinger, in no particular order. When we moved from Bavaria to Rhineland Palatinate when I was a teenager, I was shocked about the lack of Hefeweizen. You could get Schöfferhofer and, well, Schöfferhofer. For somebody being spoilt for choice and quality, this was a disaster 😂 Karlsberg from the Saarland introduced a quite nice HW in the early/mid 80s, which was a relief but I don’t think it lasted 5 years. But by then, the good stuff was coming from Bavaria because people had come to their senses and rejected inferior products like Schöfferhofer😂 

Haven’t tried some of the mentioned ones before, will try to get hold of them. I just found it too carbonated, the bubbles didn’t give me a chance to really taste the fine flavours of  the beer. But luckily we all have different preferences and that makes the world so interesting 😃

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

IMHO top of the list are Unertl, Schneider, Weihenstephaner, Maxlrainer and Erdinger, in no particular order.

@Brauhaus Fritz @Aussiekraut Agree with the above greatly...

But I do not mind Maisl's... it's ok.

And I love Schneider Weisse... broke my glass : (

Gutmann are pretty good too but I don't think they export... 

But Schoeffer... bad.  Just plain ordinary. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 6:21 AM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I would get it again if Ian in need of a flip top bottle 

Bought a Carton on special a while ago for the bottles mainly... so before kegging days... and after drinking Erdinger all afternoon, after the GC shut, back at base...it tasted like muddy water to me 😕  The ones left over were not that much better... not my idea of a good time. 

---> ah but I do not think mine was Dunkel... so maybe that is a different brew again @Brauhaus Fritz 🤔

Edited by Pezzza
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2022 at 6:28 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Yes, Schneider is darker

Is there a difference between Schneiderweisse and Original?

The label seems different to me - and the ones I were drinking I really don't think were that dark...

Mmmm or maybe my memory from 5 years ago is a bit dark!? 🥳

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

Is there a difference between Schneiderweisse and Original?

The label seems different to me - and the ones I were drinking I really don't think were that dark...

Mmmm or maybe my memory from 5 years ago is a bit dark!? 🥳

Yes, the labels have changed and when I left the place, there was only Schneider Weisse. Today, they have a whole variety of wheat beers. I didn't get a chance to drink a Schneider last time I was there unfortunately but plenty of other yummies. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Haven’t tried some of the mentioned ones before, will try to get hold of them. I just found it too carbonated, the bubbles didn’t give me a chance to really taste the fine flavours of  the beer. But luckily we all have different preferences and that makes the world so interesting 😃

It does. Imagine we'd all love XXXX or VD...oops, I meant VB? 🙂 

If you can get your hands on Maxlrainer or Unertl, please tell me. 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Bought a Carton on special a while ago for the bottles mainly... so before kegging days... and after drinking Erdinger all afternoon, after the GC shut, back at base...it tasted like muddy water to me 😕  The ones left over were not that much better... not my idea of a good time. 

---> ah but I do not think mine was Dunkel... so maybe that is a different brew again @Brauhaus Fritz 🤔

It probably was the Kellerbier which is really boring326BE8BF-552B-45B5-BB73-754318593FF8.thumb.jpeg.d48a70d3bb2e1689c17ecc1b98e95382.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/28/2022 at 6:17 PM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Happy to disagree, but this one has much more refined flavours and much more gentle carbonation than Schneider 

5B8212DF-28F9-4B8E-A408-32863ED8616D.jpeg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Happy to disagree, but this one has much more refined flavours and much more gentle carbonation than Schneider 

5B8212DF-28F9-4B8E-A408-32863ED8616D.jpeg

I have these 3 bad boys to deal with on the weekend, I am looking forward to it 🥳

It really is incredible beer & I have got a few dozen of the bottles that I love bottling some beers in.

20220929_182313.thumb.jpg.e5e580e01fc09bc767dd2c9d5e7a5b35.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Last one of the Sheperd Neame Kentish Strong Ale   500ml   6.5% ABV

The more I think about it for $20.00 x 4 pack - members price at Dan Murphy's is quite a good buy & the bottles can be re-used.

I might shout myself a pack for the long weekend 🥳

Have many of you tried this apart from Stquinta ?

20220929_165530.thumb.jpg.922d24d0401834f60661745dd568b4f3.jpg

I have tried Shepherd Neame IPA and Spitfire but not the Kentish Strong Ale. The IPA is my favorite so far, but I will try the Kentish Strong Ale. I bought an 8 pack of the IPA recently and they worked out about $6.25/bottle, I reckon that is reasonable for a 500ml bottle of 6.1% imported beer.

• Like 3