Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

Ok, time for part two of the GABS six pack tasting. 

First up is Cheat Code, a hazy TIPA from Deeds Brewing. Weighing in at a whopping 10% abv, I was a tad worried. I was pleasantly surprised by the beer though. The moment you open the can, you can smell the hops. It is rather hoppy but not overly bitter. It isn’t quite as creamy as other hazies but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I taste fruity flavours reminiscent of grapefruit and to my surprise, I cannot taste the alcohol. It is pretty well balanced and I quite like it. 
30081EA8-37D3-425C-9885-2D8D1B774402.thumb.jpeg.ff586276fe0383f082d98a58da3dd7b2.jpeg

Another hazy IPA. That seems to be the flavour of the month. This one is Amplifier by Dainton Brewing. It comes in at 8% abv. It’s hoppy but doesn’t slap you in the face, it’s typically hazy creamy and a nice juicy finish. It isn’t bad but it doesn’t mask the alcohol as well as others, thus it is a little “sharp”. 
3F85BBB8-69D8-49C2-91E9-5A872FCD5375.thumb.jpeg.3ddaa11d8bcd53e744805454ecf169ba.jpeg

Last but not least, here’s the obligatory Sour. Sours confuse me. They’re too beery for a sour drink and too sour for a beer. And really, the first lesson about brewing is to keep things nice and clean to avoid infection. Why on earth would I then deliberately infect my beer I worked hard for? You can tell, I’m not a fan of sours but I digress. This is Aviation Cocktail by Bright Brewing. At 5.1% abv, this is the lowest abv beer in the pack. This one is sour. Not make your tongue stick to your cums sour but pretty sour. The purple hue of it is a tad disturbing but in a strange and probably masochistic way, I like it. Not as a beer but maybe as a refreshing sour drink. Shame I’d have to pay beer prices for it.

0C298BA6-B524-48AD-B7E5-1A8641B1131B.thumb.jpeg.7041e1db0243e034a8d94bec3905c404.jpeg

was the six pack worth the $35? Nah, not really. On the other hand, I’d have missed out on some beers I’d never have tried otherwise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Bride bought me this home tonight after I said I love Porters the other night 😋, could taste a small amount of coconut I think but wouldn’t of picked it if it wasn’t  on the can. Nice beer easy drinker. Could smell a slight roast and chocolate as it warmed up. I know I’m on the right track with Porters and Stouts after having this with my own beers  🍻 

14B277AB-D02F-4B86-81F8-00CF7CE38D85.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Bride bought me this home tonight after I said I love Porters the other night 😋, could taste a small amount of coconut I think but wouldn’t of picked it if it wasn’t  on the can. Nice beer easy drinker. Could smell a slight roast and chocolate as it warmed up. I know I’m on the right track with Porters and Stouts after having this with my own beers  🍻 

14B277AB-D02F-4B86-81F8-00CF7CE38D85.jpeg

Never see this before they have the recipes for the beers they make on their website which is pretty cool 😎 

• Like 1

Spent the weekend camping out the back of Undara Lodge. They usually have something from local brewers at the bistro. This time they had a few different brews from Hemingway's Brewery. Now, Hemingway's had a bad reputation among craft brew lovers up here since they opened a few years ago. All of the brews had the same awful taste underneath that I always blamed on their bittering process. It offended my palate enough that if friends wanted to go there I always drank some other brewery's ginger beer. Rumour is that around 12 months ago they got a new head brewer, so I thought I'd give them another chance. Both of these were quite nice, and I got through a few of the Hefeweizens. I'll try their IPAs etc the next time I'm in the Hemingway's bar.

20210617_175931.md.jpg

20210618_171133.md.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Instigator said:

Spent the weekend camping out the back of Undara Lodge. They usually have something from local brewers at the bistro. This time they had a few different brews from Hemingway's Brewery. Now, Hemingway's had a bad reputation among craft brew lovers up here since they opened a few years ago. All of the brews had the same awful taste underneath that I always blamed on their bittering process. It offended my palate enough that if friends wanted to go there I always drank some other brewery's ginger beer. Rumour is that around 12 months ago they got a new head brewer, so I thought I'd give them another chance. Both of these were quite nice, and I got through a few of the Hefeweizens. I'll try their IPAs etc the next time I'm in the Hemingway's bar.

I love camping but in this weather with a fire, I notice you have found one, great way to spend a weekend. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I love camping but in this weather with a fire, I notice you have found one, great way to spend a weekend. 

We love getting out at this time of year. Usually I just knock back a few Coopers Mild Ales in camp, but no one really wants to see pictures of me drinking those. 😉

20210617_195726.md.jpg

• Like 2

We've got some in-laws visiting from Sydney currently. While I was at work my wife loaned the BIL my new tape measure. Somehow he managed to break it.

When I got home from work I discovered this in the fridge, a nice gift from the in-laws for me. I'm not sure if it's to compensate for the tape measure or not but if it is I don't have the heart to tell BIL the new tape measure was about $4. 😁😁

Haven't tasted the beer yet. I'll wait until tomorrow to share with BIL.

IMG20210626000403.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

We've got some in-laws visiting from Sydney currently. While I was at work my wife loaned the BIL my new tape measure. Somehow he managed to break it.

When I got home from work I discovered this in the fridge, a nice gift from the in-laws for me. I'm not sure if it's to compensate for the tape measure or not but if it is I don't have the heart to tell BIL the new tape measure was about $4. 😁😁

Haven't tasted the beer yet. I'll wait until tomorrow to share with BIL.

Nice one Muzzy, would be a good bottle to fill with your own brew. 2l would be OK for a few to have a session or one to have a bigger session 🙃

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I discovered this in the fridge

Probs also a nice Swingtop to Re-use in your Brewery too Muzzler?

Whoops yes me too @CLASSIC Haha only just noticed yours as well....  must've crossed mid flight... good stuff.

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

Just now, CLASSIC said:

Graubster I wonder how many 2l Growlers we could drink in 1 session ? 

Haha @CLASSIC Too Many would be barely enough 🥳

Think it comes better out the tap straight into the glass and shelve the Growler for another day ?!  😝

• Like 2

@CLASSIC @Graubart Truth be known, I was actually more excited about getting the growler than the actual beer inside it. It's a great bottle but it's size is proving troublesome to store in the fridge upright, so it might just become a refill vessel as opposed to a home brew bottle. Unless I can sort my fridges out better.
The Lobethal Bierhaus will refill it at a 10% discount. Nice.
There's a message on the side of it which declares I can get a 10c refund for it at container recycling depots in SA. Yeah, nah. I don't think that's gonna happen.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@CLASSIC @Graubart Truth be known, I was actually more excited about getting the growler than the actual beer inside it. It's a great bottle but it's size is proving troublesome to store in the fridge upright, so it might just become a refill vessel as opposed to a home brew bottle. Unless I can sort my fridges out better.
The Lobethal Bierhaus will refill it at a 10% discount. Nice.
There's a message on the side of it which declares I can get a 10c refund for it at container recycling depots in SA. Yeah, nah. I don't think that's gonna happen.

Hey I will give you 20cents !!

The recycling place I take my occasional empty's to sell Grolsch & similar, imagine how much they will get for that.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey I will give you 20cents !!

The recycling place I take my occasional empty's to sell Grolsch & similar, imagine how much they will get for that.

Hmmmm?! 20 cents? It's tempting but it wouldn't be right to sell a gift. 😂😂

• Haha 2