Coopers Community

What are you growing? 2018

The Captain!!

So thought I’d start a thread about what your growing in your space, whether it’s vegetables in the garden, herbs on the sill, aquaponics, crops on your farm or taking over the local urban farm plot.

Picked up a few of rosella plants today from the local nursery. This will (hopefully) be enough for a batch of rosella saison and a few jam jars. 

Second lot of garlic is a couple of weeks away from harvest.

Red onions getting to a point of harvest and tomatoes about to go in, along with the jalapeño plants.

Lime tree is still spitting out ripe limes, continuously. 

Avocado trees are starting to look healthy after a hard winter.

Im looking forward to this growing season for sure. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only have a small area for vegetables but manage to squeeze a bit into raised garden beds.  At this time of year I have lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and herbs growing.  The last couple of years I have been getting into the heirloom varieties.  I have a dwarf Lisbon lemon and dwarf Tahitian lime, both have a large amount of fruit on them.  The dwarf peach is only in for its second year but has fruit coming on.  Everything seems to grow well with my own compost.  I need about half an acre to grow what I want .  Now to find some space for hops

Only fruit and vegetables at the moment, thinking of growing hops at some point. Currently growing:

Cucumber
Tomatoes
Pumpkin
Bunch of green leafy stuff that looks like weeds to me, my wife ensures me it's edible though
Mandarin
Orange
Passionfruit
Figs
Cherries

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Other than hops, just a pot with sweet cherry tomatoes. Swmbo wants to have a vege garden when we buy a house though so once that happens there will be more things.

Mate, nothing better than home grown stuff, I’m with your SWMBO. ??

Brisbane, just about grow toms all year. 

1 hour ago, Hoppy81 said:

Only fruit and vegetables at the moment, thinking of growing hops at some point. Currently growing:

Cucumber
Tomatoes
Pumpkin
Bunch of green leafy stuff that looks like weeds to me, my wife ensures me it's edible though
Mandarin
Orange
Passionfruit
Figs
Cherries

Nice one. I’ve got a few mandarin’s as well. Espaliered along a fence. I want to put more in for sure. Best tasting fruit ever.

ive got one fig from diggers, Purple Heart, not even sure why I got it, I don’t like figs ha ha

There's about a million different plants in my garden. The useful ones are kumquats, nectarines, apples, crab apples, lemons, herbs (many), snow peas, shelling peas, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, passionfruit, hops (my wife killed the smothering snow peas so they are all trimmed and trained now)  ... planting tomatoes very soon.

Hi all,

Great topic. Im in Adelaide put my summer vegies in a few weeks ago. Got cherry and full size tomatoes, lettuce is still going, sweet corn and a few herbs. Also have mandarine, plum, lime, lemon and fig trees. Winter harvest was great had heaps of beans, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and spinach. 

20180929_113741.jpg

20180805_134317.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That is a sweet space Hilltop.

I am growing lots of stuff.

I decided to do something about the local community garden which had been badly neglected and overgrown.  This is actually what it looked like in September of 2017. A weedy mess.  The few volunteers that remained were basically sitting around looking at one another arguing about whether dandelions were weeds or not (not a word of a lie).  I just sort of rocked up and started pulling weeds...

28685844_1980739445476230_78472365850440

and, with the help from my volunteer friends, we turned it into this ...

28795951_1980739715476203_53690249847798

Now it is overgrown in a very different way.

27332371_1964318673784974_68562094746961

That's me on the left in the hat talking with a couple of people from the council about why irrigation should be an essential part of garden design.

27164287_1964318727118302_46914276541901

It is not a model garden,  it is too big to keep neat as a pin and it gets picked over by the public, volunteers come and go and we all have other lives and other gardens but the few hours we can spare each week we do what we can.  I love it.

Thanks Captain,  I started small.  

naturestrip.png

This my nature strip.  It is one of the best things I have ever done.  The neighbours love it (The council doesn't).  Plants sometimes appear by magic, donated by some anonymous local.  People pick at the herbs for dinner and I want them to.  Herbs love a good picking.  It encourages them.  Herbs are generally quite hardy and don't require a lot of care..  Some even thrive on neglect.   I raise things from seed that I collect myself so it costs me nothing.   I love seeing the local kids, clearly on a mission from Mum, come and pick the rosemary.  Hmm.  Guess who's having lamb for dinner...

It is great to see what others do with the space they have so I'll try not to crowd the thread but I do have a lot more to show and tell - some of it could useful to other gardeners too. 

Lately I have been  drought proofing the garden by the use of wicking beds and polypipe irrigation.   It has quartered the time it takes to water the garden and is much, much more water efficient.  But as a result we are a little behind schedule this season and the garden is a little bare at the moment as several beds had to be stripped out and moved (thirsty work).  It's all systems go now though especially since Hughie has come to the party...

46121612_2138380616378778_53916246774896
'Tank Land' on Melbourne Cup day morning

Whenever we have water restrictions I just let the lawn die, and keep the weeds at bay in the meantime. It always comes back when it gets water again. Luckily we haven't had any restrictions for the last decade or so, but I've gone on and off looking after it. Sometimes I just can't be bothered. In this place I don't care because it's a rental and the yard is crap anyway full of rocks and sticks and dirt, but in our new place it's landscaped and not a huge amount so I'll get into it there and make it look nice again. It did look pretty dead on the inspection day, but the gardens themselves looked good.

I have a fairly good front lawn considering it has many different types of grasses. Eventually I’ll dig it all up and get new turf. I have a 2100L water tank but that lasts about 2 hours when I put the sprinkler on the front. My wife used to think I was an idiot for taking so much care of the grass but since we got the new house she loves it

I have replaced every square foot of 'lawn' I can, mainly with garden beds and the spaces in between with mulch.  The garden beds are green enough for me and mulch is basically no maintenance.  

I maintain a couple of other properties so I do my share of mowing but not so much at my place.  I still have some patches of what are essentially mown weeds in the front and back yards here at home but 80% of what used to be 'lawn' is now garden beds or under mulch.  No regrets.

I hear you Captain.  I live in the hope of the invention of the suburban sheep, small enough to subsist on the front and back lawn that will not only keep the grass down but will also be good for a pair of ugg boots annually and a rogan josh at the end of service.

I sheep farming friend from South Australia has a new breed of sheep he is trialing bred from Albany WA that are kinda like dorpers but have meat like crossy’s and don’t mess up fences. Kinda like a dream sheep really. 

All going well, they’ll be my choice.

There are those Dollface sheep that should go alright in a suburban block but I think they like company which doesn’t really suit a suburban block ha ha.

The feathered variety of lawn mowers are good on a suburban block though. Geese I mean.

Archived