Coopers Community

Fruit Beer

therealthing691

I am going to do a mango Neipa  with Lactose and was just wondering has anyone done one here .The reason I ask is that in the research I have done  some say add at flame out , some after the first 3days or so of fermenting. I was just wondering is there anyone here  that has done both, either .I release the that taste would be different  but what else . Also if people have done both what would be there preference. decisions decisions    cheers Brian

cool Kirk thanks for the reply .I know it  is not a style many do here . This time I an going to do it just after flame out as I am using fresh produce. Damn good quality as I have had some LOL. Pasteurise it to rid the nasty's   . I am using a KG in 10l so we will see .If its not to my liking I will do it after  primary next batch to compare  . Well then  we will see if not I wont do it again lol thanks for the input captain cheers

The only fruits I've used in my brewing are kumquats (hefeweizen and saison) and raspberries (saison). I added them after primary fermentation died down so as to prevent yeast activity scrubbing out the nice aromatics. It seemed to work well, although the kumquat hefe needed more kumquats. So I doubled the amount in the kumquat saison and it was great.

Cheers,

John

thanks guys was going to do it yesterday but the Robobrew  had a hernia .The actual temp is telling me the  water is 119c when its actually 17c so will be ringing the supplier tomorrow. Only done a couple of brews is only 4mths old. Will have to wait and see what happens warranty I am sayin grrrrrr cheers Brian

I suppose the rationale for adding fruit at flame out is to pasteurize it, but if using canned fruit / puree, it is already pasteurized.

For non-canned fruit, best to freeze it first, to get the cell membranes to rupture and release the flavour, and also to reduce the risk of wild yeast contamination. Adding fruit a few days into fermentation further reduces the risk of contamination by giving your chosen (brewers) yeast a head start, so it can dominate the brew. The presence of some alcohol will make it more difficult for wild yeast on the fruit to get established.

Another advantage, as has been mentioned, is that fewer aromatics are blown off. 

Cheers,

Christina. 

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

I suppose the rationale for adding fruit at flame out is to pasteurize it, but if using canned fruit / puree, it is already pasteurized.

For non-canned fruit, best to freeze it first, to get the cell membranes to rupture and release the flavour, and also to reduce the risk of wild yeast contamination. Adding fruit a few days into fermentation further reduces the risk of contamination by giving your chosen (brewers) yeast a head start, so it can dominate the brew. The presence of some alcohol will make it more difficult for wild yeast on the fruit to get established.

Another advantage, as has been mentioned, is that fewer aromatics are blown off. 

Cheers,

Christina. 

I am adding on day 4 I decided and it is fresh mango that was pureed and frozen  for five days   cheers Brian

Great. It should turn out nice, although fruit is harder to remove if you puree it. I make a lot of country wine and like to chop the fruit, freeze it, and then enclose it in a mesh bag before adding to the FV.  

I have never tasted mango beer,  but I think mango is an excellent choice of fruit. The nice thing about mango is that is low in acid and does not have little seeds (the way strawberries and raspberries do) which can end up adding a lot of harsh tannins if you use too much or leave them in too long.

As an aside, banana is a fruit that, like mango, is seedless and low in acid. Some day I want to try brewing a beer with banana. It would go well with citrusy hops.

Please let us know how it turns out, Good luck! 

Cheers,

Christina.

• 2 weeks later...

yep has to be toasted to get rid of the oil/fat so is pineapple if it is not pasteurised as some enzyme that stops  foam .I Bottled the mango today looks good I thought it would be a little more orange  in colour but tastes great bitter sweet and fruity .I hope it tastes similar when conditioned and was only 10L batch will do a 23 if it does with summer on its way cheers

Looks like a juicy neipa mate good stuff. Ive only chucked frozen mango in after ferment in a hefe I do and its turned out well but the fruit flavour def fades. I got a mate who is in the juice buisness and im thinking using blood orange puree in a big hoppy american ipa with citra, azacca, mosaic. I tried fixation brewerys squish ipa recently and im in love.

5 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Cool. Doesn't look like beer though. Does it taste like beer?

Cheers,

Christina. 

It does  taste like beer but very citrus and mango .Also the amount of lactose and hops makes it bitter sweet as well . If it tastes as balanced after conditioning I will very pleased

4 hours ago, Dirtman Dan said:

Looks like a juicy neipa mate good stuff. Ive only chucked frozen mango in after ferment in a hefe I do and its turned out well but the fruit flavour def fades. I got a mate who is in the juice buisness and im thinking using blood orange puree in a big hoppy american ipa with citra, azacca, mosaic. I tried fixation brewerys squish ipa recently and im in love.

That sounds great I am a member of MR Banks Brewery there beers are very hop forward  which I tend to like but I like balance as well cheers Brian

1 hour ago, therealthing691 said:

That sounds great I am a member of MR Banks Brewery there beers are very hop forward  which I tend to like but I like balance as well cheers Brian

For me balance is the key to a great beer. Beer brewing is like cooking, get the balance of flavour using herbs, dont overpower the dish where all you can taste is the herb. Same for beer.

I agree totally .Also personal taste but balance IMO is the key.I use mr banks as inspiration as they have tasty beers I just lower the IBU's  .If the mango Neipa style I made tastes as balanced when its conditioned and carbonated I will be very pleased and make a big batch. it tastes as sweet as it is bitter and real fruity as well

Archived