Coopers Community

Apple + Mango cider

So decided to try this combination because well .. who doesn't like the taste of mango and a mango cider sounds delish! Just got a small batch of 8.5 Litres going at the moment, recipe is:

3 x 2 Litre apple mango Juice

1 x 2 litre Mango Juice

.5kg of Dex for extra kick

1 x Coopers APA kit yeast

I have made a apple + blackcurrant version of this hooch turned out very well, I had a taste of this yesterday to see how it was going and was a little surprised of the results.

Taste : Can still strongly taste the Mango, hasn't lost as much sweetness as I would of thought but it still has a few days left so I'm expecting it to dry out and lose a bit more, but surprisingly there was a hint of coconut to the flavor! not really sure what could of brought that out but I wouldn't say its unpleasant more just unexpected.

will keep an eye on this. I did try making a cider a few years ago using some $20 kit i bought online. Was basically the yeast and a set of juice bottle lids that had a bleed hole in the middle. The idea was you just buy the apple juice off the shelf, tip a cup out, add in a heap of sugar and the yeast supplied, fit the vented lid and let it do its thing for a week. Tasted alright and had a kick to it, but it went straight through anyone who drank it. Knowing what I know now, I'd be keen to give your recipe a crack. Have a few mexican cervesa kit yeasts on hand.

Cracked one of these to try, even after a week in the bottle its quite drinkable! Not as dry as my last attempt which was a apple and black currant. Will defiantly be better with more bottle time. Bought some Lactose to use in my next batch which should help retain more sweetness.  

I was lazy with this and only took readings at the end it finished at 1.008. Yes there is some sweetness unsure if its cause I associate sweetness when I taste mango but at the same time it is dry. It is defiantly not a commercial style of cider sweetness thou which I wasn't after anyways. Next time I make it I will record it better, this was just a experimental small batch to see if it was any good.  

Archived