Coopers Community

Bloody Tooheys new....

MitchBastard

After wandering to the local the yesterday i spied $6 pints of new.....being a little hesitant given that it’s been about 10yrs since my last new (for good reason) I thought... the price is right and I’m thirsty. 

6 pints later and home before 5pm I thought nothing of it. 

Boy did I wake up with what felt like my brain  wrapped in carpet and what tasted like someone rang the bar Mat out in my mouth.  

So long tooheys new, I hardly knew ye. 

Selfinflicted shame. 

Hmm well my late Dad's 'poison of choice' was a Toohey's new with a 'dash' of Toohey's Old. I suppose that was an attempt to get some flavour into it.

He was a Toohey's, Tigers and Holden man exclusively. 

I was told him that I had joined some mates in a Reschs pub once and I thought he was going to disown me!

People today have no idea of how ingrained prejudices were in those days and it wasn't only about race:

Holden v Ford, Toohey's v Reschs (in NSW anyway), North Shore v South of the Harbour v Westies, Mods v Rockers, workers v bosses etc. etc. etc. makes today's PC wars seem tame by comparison!

Yeah it does. Though the way I drank as young bloke back then, it was never really a surprise.

In my town you were either a New drinker, a VB drinker or a rum drinker. There wasn't much in between. A few of my mates "graduated" to Extra Dry when it came out. I have never been keen on that.

I don't mind an Old and it's usually the choice these days if there's not much on tap. Or a bruiser - 50/50 Old & light if I'm driving.

• 3 weeks later...

I did try a Flag ale once when I was in Sydney a few years ago, that one wasn't bad by megaswill standards. Out of all of them though the best one I've had was Resch's Draught, followed by the Cascade lager from Tassie. Those two at least had some flavor to me.

6 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

Typical qlder

It's not because it's a NSW beer, it's just a shit beer. ?

• 2 weeks later...

The first beer I drank was a Tooheys Old when I was about 12 that I stole from my grandad (who was renowned for having sh1t past its use by date in his house). It was freaking disgusting so I went and poured it down the toilet....only to see this dark beer pouring out of the bottle.

I freaked out because I'd only ever seen dads XXXX gold so I thought old gramps had struck again with his past its use by date products and the beer had gone black because I thought it was 20 years old........Was certain I was going to die haha. Turns out, Tooheys is just gross in general and I've never looked back since. I was always the kid at parties as a 17 year old while everyone was drinking TED's or carlton mid I would bring a six pack of something like Lowenbrau or Kronenbourg (What I thought was deemed fancy beer at the time) only for everyone to be like "wtf is that?" when I was asking for a bottle opener because they weren't twist tops lol.

Archived