Coopers Community

Barossa Valley Brewing

Malter White

I'd posted previously about buying a Ford Transit and converting it to a campervan. I decided our first trip in it shouldn't be too far from home in case anything went wrong. So being from Adelaide we travelled an hour to Tanunda caravan park in the heart of SA's premier wine region, The Barossa Valley. Well shave my legs and call me Martha if we didn't find a great craft brewery directly across the road from the caravan park, Barossa Valley Brewing.
If you ever visit this part of the planet I highly recommend you go there. Some great beers, some sh.!t ones too but a great beer garden environment, live acoustic music and friendly staff. There beers are for sale in cans to take away also.
I had the tasting paddle (see photo) and I thought 1,2,3 & 6 were nice. I didn't like 4 because of it's high ABV and 5 didn't appeal to me either but you have to at least sample it to say you've drank bacon. My wife had a Wallaby cider (I think named because of the added hops). I'm not sure hops should be added to apple cider. We thought it was ok but not great.
As I took the attached photo of the FVs, the brewery owner, Denham, approached me and we had a brief chat. 
I didn't think I'd enjoy the experience as much as I did. 

IMG_20181020_180359.jpg

IMG_20181020_180749.jpg

IMG_20181020_184603.jpg

3 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

I rate their choc coffee stout. It's one of the best ones getting around. The hop heaven is a good drop as well. 

I can't say I've tried many other beers of these types before but the two you mention were in the good lot of the ones I tasted, Karlos. I can picture some cold winter days/nights and a few of them choc coffee stouts. Yum.

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I've had a smoked beer before, the color was about the same as bacon as well. It wasn't bad, but not something you'd have a session on.

In my photo above, the bacon beer is at front/centre. It had a colour of a very heavily smoked bacon eg. Speck. I couldn't get over how they got it tasting like bacon.  However, I found it hard to drink. I won't be rushing back for that one.

4 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

So Muzzy, van go ok and all good?

Thanks for asking, O Captain, my Captain. ?
Yes, van seems mechanically sound after the repair. I certainly had trust issues before we left but it appears Rowell & Searle (transmission repairers) know their stuff.
It was only a short trip but I feel confident we can now go anywhere there's sealed roads. 
It was a 12 seat bus and we removed 7 to fit in the bed but I reckon we'll remove the remaining 2 rear seats for the extra space it'll provide.

Nice one muzzy.

having spent 7 years traveling around (plus working) and sleeping in the back of an 84 hilux, I now appreciate a well thought out camper. 

I found if your not set up camp with everything you need with in 15 minutes you’ll soon get sick of it. 

I had mine down pat but I wouldn’t be doing anything like that again. 

Hope you have some more travels soon enough 

Captain, I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of our "camping" will be done in caravan parks (which really isn't camping), so our set up can be tinkered with until we get it right but our first weekend in it was pretty good. A little more space would be great (removing those seats and replacing them with a small cupboard to put TV on and extra storage) and a couple more small lights for the rear and we should be running full steam.

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

Apparently they do. I didn't see it on Saturday but it's on their product list on the website. Now I'm annoyed with myself for not trying it.
Guess I'll have to go back again. ?

Fairly sure they sell it at Dans too. One of the few they sell commercially but it's been 5 or so years since I've been

I haven't been in that building since it was a chinese restaurant in the 80s. From memory it had mini golf out the back.

I would love to go there! Every time I go to Tanunda I look at it longingly as I drive past to visit relatives.  Thanks for the review!

Archived