Coopers Community

Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Graculus

On 2/14/2019 at 5:44 PM, James of Bayswater said:

Let us know how it drinks Hixy.   

I am definitely interested in a tasty mid strength ale that I can scoff during the hot summer.  I have a hot and sweaty job and I love a cold beer as respite but I don't want it to send me to the couch or stop me in my tracks.  3.2% would be perfect if tasty enough.

I am enjoying a Citra Cerveza (brewed to Shamus O'Sean's recipe) and just loving the simplicity of one hop over pale malt.  It is only a step removed from Lawnmower Lager but so much better.  Easy drinking, thirst quenching yet with that fresh aroma and deliciousness that makes for a perfect Summer Ale.  I wont make again until next Spring but I will definitely be making it again.  

Will do for sure James.

yep a good mid is a good thing...i was over doing things little early on, trying to include LDM and some of either BE 1, 2 or 3 and always ending up with a 4.2% plus beer, nothing wrong with it, but if i'm in a swilling mood, things go sideways pretty quick on a warm summers arvo!

Kinda obsessed with the Topaz/First Gold combo at the moment, finding they compliment each other quite nicely in a variety of beers, albeit with my limited brewing experience!!

It'll be 13 days tomorrow, nice number, i'll stick one in the fridge and see how she's coming along!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 5:44 PM, James of Bayswater said:

Let us know how it drinks Hixy.   

I am definitely interested in a tasty mid strength ale that I can scoff during the hot summer.  I have a hot and sweaty job and I love a cold beer as respite but I don't want it to send me to the couch or stop me in my tracks.  3.2% would be perfect if tasty enough.

I am enjoying a Citra Cerveza (brewed to Shamus O'Sean's recipe) and just loving the simplicity of one hop over pale malt.  It is only a step removed from Lawnmower Lager but so much better.  Easy drinking, thirst quenching yet with that fresh aroma and deliciousness that makes for a perfect Summer Ale.  I wont make again until next Spring but I will definitely be making it again.  

Hey James, how are ya mate?!

Bit overdue on an update, shits been hectic!!  So I cracked one after 13 days and it was a decent beer but I wasn't totally won over.  

Day 25 today and she was a warm one down south here for a change, so the missus dropped a couple in the freezer for me and damn, for a simple AF recipe, its super tasty!  The topaz/first gold hop combo is a winner and it seems to be improving heaps in the bottle.  TBH you could prob up the hops a little to give it some more balls, but i'm pretty happy bro!

Crisp, light and refreshing, most things a Cerveza should be, i'm defo putting this recipe in the book mate!

if ya give it a crack let me know how ya go 🙂 

• Like 1

Cheers Hixy.  

It is thirsty weather alright and a tasty mid strength is just the ticket.  I am drinking that Citra Cerveza which is very tasty but at 4.5% to catches up with me.  A 3.2% - 3.5% mid-strength is ideal ... if its tasty.   

I like that you have only added malt.  Dextrose tends to thin the Cerveza out especially at full volumes.  The Topaz/First Gold combo is attractive and I appreciate a lighter touch when it comes to hops.  I am definitely going have a go - and the Citra Cerveza is disappearing fast.

I'll let you know how I go 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 8:54 PM, Popo said:

Cheers John. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Sorry it took so long to post up about this beer. It was/is a cracker @porschemad911. It's been in the bottle for about 4 months and  still packs a solid hop punch. I halved the crystal and it's just about right for me. 

I've got a couple left over and had one this evening after something a bit plain, and was blown away by the contrast.

I'd happily make it again. Thanks again for the recipe. You're a champ.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Popo said:

Sorry it took so long to post up about this beer. It was/is a cracker @porschemad911. It's been in the bottle for about 4 months and  still packs a solid hop punch. I halved the crystal and it's just about right for me. 

I've got a couple left over and had one this evening after something a bit plain, and was blown away by the contrast.

I'd happily make it again. Thanks again for the recipe. You're a champ.

Glad you liked it!

Cheers, 

John

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2019 at 10:05 PM, DonPolo said:

Was there any result for the Grapefruit variation bottled on 2 December by Graculus?

G'day mate.

Just going through this thread for some inspiration.
I picked up a half price Cerveza a few weeks ago. Dented tin.

My grapefruit brew was very nice at the time and I was going to make another. But I don't have the time and I really need something for the summer.
So although I'll do another grapefruit brew it won't be yet.
I say it was OK at the time. It was as cloudy as and tasted great, but there was too much sediment in the bottles.
I came across half a dozen bottles in the garage the other day. Tucked away in the back of the beer cupboard.
It's now clear, but I don't like the taste as much.

So next time I think I'll add some gelatine. Also Pectolase is supposed to help clear wine, so I might add that.
Also I'm going the strain the juice through a sieve and muslin.
And I'll make sure I drink it all before it clears.

Going through the freezer yesterday I found some Citra hops.
So this time I think I'll just go for a 25 gram hop initially and another 25 gram hop after 7 days or so.

• 2 months later...

So I have 3 grapefruit, 2l of "Original Juice Co Black Label Grapefruit Juice", Cerveza tin, 500gm LDME, and I'm thinking maybe 200g of DEX?

I'm also thinking about getting some mango puree and throwing it in later in the ferment. Make up 23L or so, I want it to be lower ABV for the summer days.

Just want something different for over Christmas, will be kegging it. 

How does that sound?

Edited by Bodgy

19 hours ago, Bodgy said:

So I have 3 grapefruit, 2l of "Original Juice Co Black Label Grapefruit Juice", Cerveza tin, 500gm LDME, and I'm thinking maybe 200g of DEX?

I'm also thinking about getting some mango puree and throwing it in later in the ferment. Make up 23L or so, I want it to be lower ABV for the summer days.

Just want something different for over Christmas, will be kegging it. 

How does that sound?

Sounds pretty good. For ease, just buy a box of BE2.

The tin and a box of BE2 makes a beer around 3.5-4% which is super smashable. Adding fruit/ juice will make it nice.

There was something about adding juice to brews, but i cant remember what it was. Have a search around on here for "juice" in brews. There was some no no's

Any of the brains trust help?

33 minutes ago, RepSpec said:

Sounds pretty good. For ease, just buy a box of BE2.

The tin and a box of BE2 makes a beer around 3.5-4% which is super smashable. Adding fruit/ juice will make it nice.

There was something about adding juice to brews, but i cant remember what it was. Have a search around on here for "juice" in brews. There was some no no's

Any of the brains trust help?

Yeah I think its pretty much just don't use juice with preservatives. The "Black Label" juice is 99.9% grapefruit juice and the only other ingredient is vitamin C so it should be good.

I read on another forum that its hard to get mango flavour to come through, might give it a go anyway. Couldn't find any at the shop yesterday so I'm planning on dropping that in late, that may help with the flavour retention.

I recently brewed the Mex Cerveza tin as a Christmas quaffer for the masses who like the commercial version. Recipe was as follows:

1 x Coopers Mex Cerveza tin

1 x box BE3

Boiled 1/2 of BE3 then cut heat and added 25g of both Galaxy & Vic Secret, steeped for 10 mins before cooling.

Fermented at 12c with Saflager W34/70

After 7 days boiled 200ml water and added the zest of 5 limes from our backyard. Cooled and poured into fermenter and left for another 5 days then bottled.

For a "kit & kilo" has developed into a really good beer. Better than the commercial version.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2020 at 4:51 PM, Red devil 44 said:

I’m about to brew a double batch of Mexican Cerveza in my 60 L fermenter, can’t decide whether to dry hop with Galaxy or Citra, or both ? 

I would go both.  For me I get a better depth of flavour with dry hopping with more than one variety.  I think these two would go well.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 7:57 AM, Bodgy said:

Yeah I think its pretty much just don't use juice with preservatives. The "Black Label" juice is 99.9% grapefruit juice and the only other ingredient is vitamin C so it should be good.

I read on another forum that its hard to get mango flavour to come through, might give it a go anyway. Couldn't find any at the shop yesterday so I'm planning on dropping that in late, that may help with the flavour retention.

I used the black label in my Cerveza. It was fine.

I haven't had a problem with juices. I think you'll find it's cordial that has the dodgy preservatives.

I couldn't be bothered to make the grapefruit one for this summer. I just didn't have time.

I used 50g of Citra and it was great.
A bit too popular really. I don't have much left and it was supposed to be the Christmas beer.

I plan on making another one with lemondrop hops.

Edited by Graculus