Coopers Community

Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Graculus

Cracked one of my Tex Mex brews last night after 2 weeks in the bottle.

Quite happy with the result. Nice and light, crisp(ish) finish and a nice hop hit, but not too over powering or heavy. 

Finished 1 bottle (500ml pet) and was annoyed i didnt put a 2nd in the fridge hahaha

• Like 3

On 10/26/2018 at 4:18 PM, porschemad911 said:

Well after some thought, I'm going to make a partial mash English IPA using one of my 225g EKG packets and some leftover malt. 

300g Simpson's Maris Otter

1kg Voyager Compass malt

1.7kg Mexican Cerveza kit

25g EKG @60 mins 

50g EKG @5 mins

75g EKG @flameout 

75g EKG dry hop

This will give me 11l in the fermenter at about 1.068 OG and 99 IBU (pre-fermentation). I'll do a 90 min no-sparge mash, 60 min boil and no-chill in the kettle. I'll ferment with the last repitch of my S-04/BRY97 blend, then it's time to do some extract saison experiments (a wheat, light, amber and dark version using the Coopers LME tins of the same name). 

Cheers, 

John

@PopoI've been thinking what I would change in that recipe... Maybe drop the crystal malt down to 100g or 150g.

Ive never tried an English IPA, always wanted to, love english ales and hops. This is a good guide cheers John.

38 minutes ago, grogdog said:

Ive never tried an English IPA, always wanted to, love english ales and hops. This is a good guide cheers John.

There are not many readily available in most bottle shops in Australia. One that you should be able to find is Gage Roads Sleeping Giant IPA. It isn't too bad.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grogdog said:

Just a heads up, this is nothing like Sleeping Giant. Mine is more like English IPA would have been 150 years ago. They tend to be much sweeter, lower ABV and less hoppy now.

I sampled one after 2 weeks in the bottle to make sure my yeast was good for carbonation. Carbonated beautifully, nice solid bitterness and a huge amount of citrus and floral hop character. EKG certainly stands up well at fairly high rates, different to the new world hops, but really delicious.

Of course that's only my opinion, my wife had a sip and said it tasted like Chinese herbal medicine. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Just a heads up, this is nothing like Sleeping Giant. Mine is more like English IPA would have been 150 years ago. They tend to be much sweeter, lower ABV and less hoppy now.

I sampled one after 2 weeks in the bottle to make sure my yeast was good for carbonation. Carbonated beautifully, nice solid bitterness and a huge amount of citrus and floral hop character. EKG certainly stands up well at fairly high rates, different to the new world hops, but really delicious.

Of course that's only my opinion, my wife had a sip and said it tasted like Chinese herbal medicine. 

Cheers, 

John 

Thats the one im after John, cheers, lovely jubbly.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:43 AM, Smashed Crabs said:

Put down a two can Cerv last night.

2 x Mex Cerv

1 x BE3

2 x Cerv kit yeast

15grams - Citra, Cascade, Mosaic, Vic Secret @ 1 min boil then steeped for 10 mins then strained into FV.

Will do a dry hop of 10 grams each.

SG - 1.058

Est FG - 1.010

ABV - 6.30%

Interested to see how this will turn out, was a super cheap brew to put down.

So how did this go?

I was thinking of putting something similar down tomorrow with a bit less ABV, maybe around 5%

hey @Gus96, this worked out really well. But id suggest a stronger combo especially in the dry hop. If you cut out the BE3 and just use the cans it should give you around what your looking for ABV wise if you bottle. I was thinking of doing this one again but smashing it with Galaxy and Vic Secret. Best of luck brewing mate.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply, I had a window of opportunity today so I went for the two cans plus .5kg of brewing sugar with some Sazz. I couldn't help myself and had to add something to the cans LOL . OG was 1050,

After looking at my stash of hops I didn't have what I thought I had so I just went for it, Not to worry though I still have 4 cans left and will get some more hops next trip to the LHBS.

It was a cheap brew as I only paid $6.20 per can, $2.80 for the brewing sugar and used 3x kit yeasts. the Sazz was left over from a Pils.

cheers

Edited by Gus96

I did 2 or 3 brews of the cerveza with galaxy and citra and they were great beers.

I would take 5l of water and 450g of dry malt and boil and after 15 minutes turn the heat off and add 25g of each, this is a flameout addition. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes and then cool in a bath of ice water or add ice to the wort.

I would then dry hop with a nice amount of between 25g to 50g each for 4 days.

It makes a great beer with nice aroma and flavour.

• Like 3

On 5 February 2019 at 2:39 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Has anybody tried the Coopers Mexican Cerveza beefed up with citra or galaxy hops? The beer traditionally goes well with lemon or lime, so I imagine introducing some citrus flavours might be like a built in lemon/lime wedge.

Any thoughts?

I have been doing the Cerveza with BE2 and 20 grams of Citra boiled for 10 mins, everyone who has tried it loves it

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 4:56 PM, Hermoor said:

I have been doing the Cerveza with BE2 and 20 grams of Citra boiled for 10 mins, everyone who has tried it loves it

My last brew was a Cerveza.  Used 500g LDM, to the Boil with 10g Topaz hops for 10 mins.  Cold crashed for 10 mins.  Dry hopped with 25g First Gold.  Overfilled to 22L unfortunately as the beer is only 3.2%!!  Oh well nice and light to smash on a Summers day!  Bottled 9 days ago, will put one in the fridge this weekend to see how she's going!!

• Like 2

On 2/5/2019 at 2:39 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Has anybody tried the Coopers Mexican Cerveza beefed up with citra or galaxy hops? The beer traditionally goes well with lemon or lime, so I imagine introducing some citrus flavours might be like a built in lemon/lime wedge.

Any thoughts?

I used a Mexican cervesa can to make a Cooper's session ale copy with galaxy and Citra, as Melba wasn't available. Turned out amazing and people who tried it preferred my beer to the Cooper's original:

Coopers Mexican Cervesa

1kg light DME

Coopers commercial ale yeast

22 ltrs

boil 500g DME in 5 litrs water

15g Citra @ 10mins

15g Galaxy @ 5 mins

15g Citra/Galaxy @ FO

Steep 15 mins

dry hop 30g each of Citra/Galaxy

OG 1041

FG 1010

ABV~ 4.4%

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

I used a Mexican cervesa can to make a Cooper's session ale copy with galaxy and Citra, as Melba wasn't available. Turned out amazing and people who tried it preferred my beer to the Cooper's original:

Coopers Mexican Cervesa

1kg light DME

Coopers commercial ale yeast

22 ltrs

boil 500g DME in 5 litrs water

15g Citra @ 10mins

15g Galaxy @ 5 mins

15g Citra/Galaxy @ FO

Steep 15 mins

dry hop 30g each of Citra/Galaxy

OG 1041

FG 1010

ABV~ 4.4%

Cheers

That sounds quite tempting. What's it like in terms of citrus aromas? Does it taste like a radler?

1 minute ago, karlos_1984 said:

Correction. It WAS fruity. This batch is long gone 👍

Thanks. I just wondered because I did a small batch with 25g galaxy @10min and another 25g of galaxy to dry hop after 7 days. When I bottled, I noticed the beautiful smell of citrus and it tasted quite nicely but when I tasted one to see how it is going after a week and a half in the bottle, I found the citrus flavours overbearing. They dominate the whole brew. I hope they the aromas fade away somewhat over the next few weeks. 

On 2/12/2019 at 10:06 AM, Hell Man Hixy said:

My last brew was a Cerveza.  Used 500g LDM, to the Boil with 10g Topaz hops for 10 mins.  Cold crashed for 10 mins.  Dry hopped with 25g First Gold.  Overfilled to 22L unfortunately as the beer is only 3.2%!!  Oh well nice and light to smash on a Summers day!  Bottled 9 days ago, will put one in the fridge this weekend to see how she's going!!

Let us know how it drinks Hixy.   

I am definitely interested in a tasty mid strength ale that I can scoff during the hot summer.  I have a hot and sweaty job and I love a cold beer as respite but I don't want it to send me to the couch or stop me in my tracks.  3.2% would be perfect if tasty enough.

I am enjoying a Citra Cerveza (brewed to Shamus O'Sean's recipe) and just loving the simplicity of one hop over pale malt.  It is only a step removed from Lawnmower Lager but so much better.  Easy drinking, thirst quenching yet with that fresh aroma and deliciousness that makes for a perfect Summer Ale.  I wont make again until next Spring but I will definitely be making it again.