Coopers Community

Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Graculus

OK, so now a few of us are stocked up, what are you going to brew?

My first one will be.

Cerveza
Original Juice Grapefruit Juice 1.5L x3
Hopefully find some grapefruits. Use the zest and juice of 4.
LDME 500grams or maybe a kilo
Make up to 15-18 litres, I'm not sure yet. Depends how much malt I put in.

Will the malt be OK in that? I presume so. There must be other beers mixing malt and citrus
I don't really want to put dextrose

Second one I'm thinking something like a blushing blonde recipe.
Maybe add some honey.

• Like 1

I'm going to use one of my Mexican cans as a base in an attempted clone of Cooper's session ale. There's the recipe on the website and a couple of threads in here with a modified recipe suggestion which I think will work well with a bit of Citra instead of Melba hop. The recipe is based off the Cooper's APA can but the Mexican is of similar bitterness but a lighter colour so I'm going to have a crack at it to try n replicate the colour of the original.

• Like 2

I picked up the last can at my local Woolies today,

Gunna give @porschemad911's recipe a whirl. It's been on the lineup for a little while.  Just the excuse I needed. 

I can't figure out the quoting from thread to thread ?.

11l fermenter volume

Mexican Cerveza kit

500g LDM 

200g light crystal malt steeped

25g Centennial @15mins 

50g Centennial @5mins 

75g Centennial @flameout 

75g Centennial dry hop

Kit ale / lager yeast blend (I fermented at lager temps)

Looking forward to it.

• Like 3

Mex Tin plus kilo brewing sugars (800g dext & 200g MaltDex) with 500g LDM. Short at 21L. OG 1052. Saflager S23 pitched @ 20C heading south to 12 to 14C. Will dry hop with 50g Galaxy. Geez with a truckload of change from an Oz lobster ($20) = bonus.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 9:50 PM, Popo said:

I picked up the last can at my local Woolies today,

Gunna give @porschemad911's recipe a whirl. It's been on the lineup for a little while.  Just the excuse I needed. 

I can't figure out the quoting from thread to thread ?.

11l fermenter volume

Mexican Cerveza kit

500g LDM 

200g light crystal malt steeped

25g Centennial @15mins 

50g Centennial @5mins 

75g Centennial @flameout 

75g Centennial dry hop

Kit ale / lager yeast blend (I fermented at lager temps)

Looking forward to it.

I did one very similar to this in the 15L Craft fermenter filled to 11L. Worked fine.

• Like 1

Well after some thought, I'm going to make a partial mash English IPA using one of my 225g EKG packets and some leftover malt. 

300g Simpson's Maris Otter

1kg Voyager Compass malt

1.7kg Mexican Cerveza kit

25g EKG @60 mins 

50g EKG @5 mins

75g EKG @flameout 

75g EKG dry hop

This will give me 11l in the fermenter at about 1.068 OG and 99 IBU (pre-fermentation). I'll do a 90 min no-sparge mash, 60 min boil and no-chill in the kettle. I'll ferment with the last repitch of my S-04/BRY97 blend, then it's time to do some extract saison experiments (a wheat, light, amber and dark version using the Coopers LME tins of the same name). 

Cheers, 

John

@PopoI've been thinking what I would change in that recipe... Maybe drop the crystal malt down to 100g or 150g.

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 2

So tryed this out at Phil's bar and grill

1.7kg Mexican

1.25 BB ale

.3 med Crystal 

.28 wheat

.5 kg light dry malt

Boil time

16g @10min cascade

20g@5mins cascade

33g@flamout cascade (used up the remaining amount in the bag)

23 litres 

Used coopers yeast

starting OG 1034

Thoughts?

Interested how this goes Graculus, I always wondered how putting that much juice in a brew would turn out, I've been wanting to do a grapefruit beer for ages but never have. My brewshop guy recons use puree, but its hard to find and bloody expensive. Only used frozen mangoes in my hef and it turns out nice, cheers.

• Like 1

One of my favorite Mexican cerveza brews was this one, simple but great results

1 Mexican cerveza

1 kg dry malt extract

250g carapils steeped for 30min I have used 250g of caramalt in 1 batch instead of the carapils, it made it a tad darker and had a little bit more complexity to the body.

25g citra galaxy and azacca flameout addition steeped for 20 minutes

fill fermenter to 21 liters 

2 packs of coopers yeast

5liter boil with the wort from the 250g steep topped up with 250g of dry malt extract. Boiled for 15 minutes then turn off heat and add flameout hops. Place pot in bath of cool water and whirlpool, stir the wort.

Once FG has been reached dry hop with 35g citra and galaxy and 20g of azacca.  I have brewed this one twice now and it has great head retention and a smooth body with a lot of aromas and flavours, pineapple citrus passionfruit is what my notes say.  I have done this with 750g of malt and 250g of wheat as the 1kg of fermentables, it had a better head that lasted but a slightly cloudier body. I fined with gelatin on both batches.

Easy brew that incorporates steeping grains and hop additions.

Good brewing

Norris

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

I've done this one a few times and it's a great smashable summer beer.

Coopers Cerveza
800g Dextrose
200g LDME
380g Carapils
320g Light crystal
100g Maltodextrin
25g Citra @ 10

26litres
4.4% in the bottle

Like the thinking here Hoppy. From my recipe above, will wind back the LDME & substitute with light crystal.  Should add sweetness to the brew.

Do you find the Carapils adds much in terms of flavours or just for the foam & head retention? Have run with 200g of Maltodextrin for body etc.

Cheers

6 hours ago, YeastyBoy said:

Like the thinking here Hoppy. From my recipe above, will wind back the LDME & substitute with light crystal.  Should add sweetness to the brew.

Do you find the Carapils adds much in terms of flavours or just for the foam & head retention? Have run with 200g of Maltodextrin for body etc.

Cheers

Hey Yeasty,

I really only notice the better head retention with the Carapils. I also use W34/70 12°c for roughly 12 days. You won't be disappointed with it mate. I usally
Like a nice malty beer but with this style i think it works great with less malt.

Cheers,
Hoppy

Edited by Hoppy81
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Hey Yeasty,

I really only notice the better head retention with the Carapils. I also use W34/70 12°c for roughly 12 days. You won't be disappointed with it mate. I usally
Like a nice malty beer but with this style i think it works great with less malt.

Cheers,
Hoppy

Thanks Hoppy,

Will give this recipe a go next brew. Got a few Mex Cans to get brewed. Thanks for the heads up re W34/70 yeast, I probably would have gone S23 however your choice here looks the goods. Hopefully my local LHBS has it in stock.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Cheers YB

On 10/28/2018 at 2:49 PM, Dirtman Dan said:

Interested how this goes Graculus, I always wondered how putting that much juice in a brew would turn out, I've been wanting to do a grapefruit beer for ages but never have. My brewshop guy recons use puree, but its hard to find and bloody expensive. Only used frozen mangoes in my hef and it turns out nice, cheers.

A couple of years ago a bloke in work wanted me to make a mango beer after he'd tried some in WA.

I seem to recall when I was looking at making it that puree was mentioned. He bought me some mango stuff that I mixed with the beer when bottling.

It was a fail. I did write about it on here at the time.

Put down a two can Cerv last night.

2 x Mex Cerv

1 x BE3

2 x Cerv kit yeast

15grams - Citra, Cascade, Mosaic, Vic Secret @ 1 min boil then steeped for 10 mins then strained into FV.

Will do a dry hop of 10 grams each.

SG - 1.058

Est FG - 1.010

ABV - 6.30%

Interested to see how this will turn out, was a super cheap brew to put down.

• Like 3