Coopers Community

Brewing evolution

PaddyBrew2

I think I want to move on from kits and bits. I’m not ready to take the step to AG yet as I simply don’t have the space in my rental. 

The misso bought me The Home Brew Recipe Bible by Chris Colby which has 101 recipes. Each having an AG and an extract option. Extract being DME or LME

in terms of getting a better end product , AG being the zenith of course, is partial extract a step up from the pre hopped extracts? 

50 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Yeah I’ve been getting that renowned homebrew twang as of late.  It’s not a bad taste or an off taste.  It’s just the taste of a kit. 

Im hoping with LME I can put an end to it. Any select brands you use ?

For the 5 or 6 extract boils I did i used just the local HBS brand. Just make sure its the one with the most use by on it and you will be sweet. 

In a way it gives you a good introduction and pathway to all grain but if i had my time again i would have just skipped to all grain like Kelsey. Having control of the malt base makes a big difference again.

I do partial mashes all the time now, for about the past two years, and it has made a big difference to the beer I produce. Depending on the size of the partial, you don't save any money, but it has the advantage of taking no specialized equipment, except for a mesh bag, and being something you can do on your stove top. It makes your beer taste way better, and provides the freedom to make nearly any style of beer you want. 

As you get into it, you learn about the process of mashing and recipe formulation; I say that because there aren't many partial mash recipes out there and you have to learn to adapt all grain recipes to your system.

I think the deciding factor whether to go the partial mash or all grain route should be 1.) whether you have the funds to buy an all grain set up, 2.) have the space for all the gear, and to brew, 3.) live in a climate where you can brew outdoors year round, or 4.) the country you live in has a 230 volts (if you go the e-brewing route). In North America we use 120 volts and e-brewing systems are incredibly expensive. Many parts of Canada are also too cold to brew outdoors for eight months of the year.

A  lot of all grainers buy their base malts in bulk, and that also takes storage space. 

Cheers,

Christina.

I don't brew outdoors with my setup. I used to brew in the laundry/garage at the Olds,  in the kitchen in the current place and will be moving back to the laundry/garage when we move. I did a few batches outdoors on the veranda here but the boil off rate was inconsistent due to the differing conditions so I moved it back indoors.

Mind you I only have an urn on a wheeled stand, not a million pots and gadgets like some setups.

18 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I think the deciding factor whether to go the partial mash or all grain route should be... 

Depends on your batch size! The grain and equipment for a partial mash on the stovetop for a 20l+ batch might be enough for a 10l all grain batch. In that case, nothing extra required to do all grain. 

Cheers, 

John

Archived