Coopers Community

Help me make my next brew better!

Budgery Brew Bird

Well done mate. Your definately advancing in leaps and bounds.

The Dark Ale is my flavourite kit also. I personally have now done away with the BE's and am up to the liquid/dry malt only stage, but don't be afraid of adding hops (just because I am). I believe that you have a greater selection to choose from if you use liquid malts, Light, Amber, Dark and Wheat. All of which of coasre add different characteristics to your brew of choice.

11 Days in the FV is fine, 2 weeks is a nice round number and allows you to start and finish on weekends if you are time poor during the week.

Regarding the brown sugar, adding a little bit at the start won't hurt with a dark ale, will add a small addition to the flavour, but I've never used it for carbonation.

Welcome and good luck.

• 1 month later...

Evening budge,

These brave men and women on this forum are nothing shy of scholars mate, who have swarn to giving there lives to helping us all brew better quality beer. (God bless them!)

The only brewing advice I'd give to you mate is, put aside a few bottles from each batch, its nothing shy of amazing how a good a brew can flourish in 6 - 12 months and beyond!  

Aside for the beers inproving, one can better compare notes for batch to batch.

From memory i remember mixing the dark ale kit with a 1.5kg amber extract kit..very nice... chocolatey, very porter like.

+1 to temperature controled fridge.

+1 grain.

+1 to hops.

Archived