Coopers Community

Bigger Brews in the smaller craft kit

Freaxta

Hi all, 

New brewer here, so sorry if its been discussed already! 

I got a Craft brew kit for fathers day and im not much of a craft beer drinker so was wondering if you can buy the 1.7kg Extracts and just use 1.3kg or will it make it all out of whack??

Im hoping someone has some sort of formula worked out to use them??

Cheers

Ash

I bottled a pale ale up last night that tastes very promising!

1.7kg Mexican Cerveza kit

150g Simpson's Light Crystal malt (steeped)

40g Dr Rudi at flameout (after boiling the steeping liquid)

60g Dr Rudi dry hop

Made up to 11 litres with a 4 litre ice brick and cold tap water, then fermented with S-04 / BRY-97 blend slurry

12 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I bottled a pale ale up last night that tastes very promising!

1.7kg Mexican Cerveza kit

150g Simpson's Light Crystal malt (steeped)

40g Dr Rudi at flameout (after boiling the steeping liquid)

60g Dr Rudi dry hop

Made up to 11 litres with a 4 litre ice brick and cold tap water, then fermented with S-04 / BRY-97 blend slurry

That makes no sense to me at all haha 

What do you usually drink? Just because the thing is called a craft kit doesn't mean you can only brew craft beer styles in it. A fair few of the 1.7kg kits are craft beer styles or can be turned into them as well. There are a couple of methods I've seen others using to brew 1.7kg kits in the small FV. One involves using a low bittered kit like the Mexican Cerveza to 11L like John posted above, another method is basically doing it like a full 23L batch but using half the ingredients in the 10-11L, e.g. instead of a kit and kilo of added fermentables you use half the kit and 500g added fermentables. The only thing that isn't halved is the yeast, pitch the whole pack (you can scoop some out of the fermenter after bottling the batch to pitch into the next one if you use the half kit method).

15 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

What do you usually drink? Just because the thing is called a craft kit doesn't mean you can only brew craft beer styles in it. A fair few of the 1.7kg kits are craft beer styles or can be turned into them as well. There are a couple of methods I've seen others using to brew 1.7kg kits in the small FV. One involves using a low bittered kit like the Mexican Cerveza to 11L like John posted above, another method is basically doing it like a full 23L batch but using half the ingredients in the 10-11L, e.g. instead of a kit and kilo of added fermentables you use half the kit and 500g added fermentables. The only thing that isn't halved is the yeast, pitch the whole pack (you can scoop some out of the fermenter after bottling the batch to pitch into the next one if you use the half kit method).

Usually drink Carlton Dry or Great Northerns. 

When you say scoop some out of the fv, you mean the gunk left in the bottom after bottling yeah?? sorry new to this so just want to be sure

Yes that's what I meant by scooping some out. You only need about a third of it. 

You might not get a beer exactly like those unless you're able to do proper lager brewing or at least temperature controlled brewing. My first batch was a kit intended to be like those types of beer, and it didn't really turn out like it being fermented with ale yeast at whatever ambient temperature was in the middle of December. The high temp and too little yeast were the main causes of it tasting crap. It may have been better if I'd been able to keep it at 18 degrees. 

Fast forward to a year or so ago and even though I don't like those beers anymore I thought I'd have a crack at one just for shits and giggles to see it I could get it closer with the knowledge and improved processes I'd adopted. It was an all grain batch rather than a kit, with 500g raw sugar. Did the whole cool lager fermentation process and it turned out almost exactly the same as a commercial example, with just a tad more hop flavor. 

To get something like it with a kit, I'd try the Mexican cerveza kit. Use half the kit, plus 350g light dry malt and 150g sugar or dextrose. Mix to 10 litres. Pitch the kit yeast and try to ferment it at 18 degrees. A wet towel around the fermenter and/or sticking it in a tub of water kept cool with ice bricks or frozen water bottles will keep the temp down. That will keep it clean like those beers are. 

On 10/17/2018 at 9:55 PM, worry wort said:

im looking for a translator too....

Translation... 

A couple of days before brewing, boil 4l water and freeze in a sanitised container. 

On brew day, steep 150g Light Crystal Malt in 1 litre 70C water for 30 mins.

Strain, top up to 5l and boil for 15 mins.

Turn off the heat, add 40g Dr Rudi hop pellets, stir in the Mexican Cerveza kit and pop the lid on. Allow to steep for 15 mins. Meanwhile sanitise your Craft fermenter and pop the 4l ice brick into it.

Strain your boiled liquid into the fermenter on top of your ice brick. Top up to 11l with cold tap water. 

When down to low 20s C temperature (won't take long), add yeast, then ferment at a nice temperature for your yeast strain of choice. 

After a week or so, add 60g Dr Rudi hop pellets into the fermenter (contained in a stainless infuser or mesh hop bag if you like). 

Bottle after another week or so, checking for a stable FG. Should be a nice pale ale. 

Cheers, 

John

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little point for new brewers I assume that by "On brew day, steep 150g Light Crystal Malt in 1 litre 70C water for 30 mins.", you mean steep 150g Light Crystal Malt (cracked by the local brewshop, or cracked in some other fashion at home)?

Archived