Coopers Community

dry yeast

kierank

This topic has probably been covered numerous times before but I'll ask again anyway. Has anyone had any success harvesting and reusing dry yeast?  If so  how do you wash it and how long can you store it in the fridge. I am not doing it to save money, I just hate the thoughts of throwing out what could be a perfectly healthy yeast. I have had some great results and some reasonable results before. I do all grain brews so it's a lot of effort wasted if you stuff up the yeast. I know people will say why bother for a $5 dry yeast but I enjoy trying something different.    Cheers       Kieran

I just collect the slurry from the bottom of the fermenter and store it in a jar in the fridge.  I don't bother with washing, which in practice does seem to be completely unnecessary.  I've reused slurry from previous batches countless times without issue.   

Some say to start afresh after no more than 5 generations though I haven't actually found any supporting evidence as to why this is the case?  I also recall Mangrove Jacks saying their yeast were unsuitable for harvesting so they say always start with a fresh packet!  I have a hunch it's simply that manufacturers ultimately want you to keep buying their yeast so they generally try discourage harvesting of any kind!  

I had success with it too although using a different method of harvesting from yeast starters. No reason why it can't be done, and the other method of taking it from the fermenter will work fine as well. It doesn't have to be rinsed, and I think it's probably better not to unless you're doing acid washing as it would raise the pH too much. 

I harvest Nottingham from dry packets.

Rehydrate as per instructions then make a starter big enough to harvest from and for the current brew as per Ottos method!

Check out harvesting from starters thread - good info in there!

Have had 10 generations from one packet.

Cheers

James

Archived