Coopers Community

Reactivating CCA Yeast

Olemate

14 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

This. Has worked really well for me in the past. 

+1 to what John said.

In a recent discussion involving PB2, he suggested as much.

Just remember after the initial re-activation, the yeast you collect post-fermentation from the trub, will require some malt derived sugar source in a starter to maintain the yeast health moving forward with it.

Best of luck with the brews,

Lusty.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Beerlust said:

The yeast you collect post-fermentation from the trub, will require some malt derived sugar source in a starter to maintain the yeast health moving forward with it.

I never did this part, just repitched slurry directly. It was within a fairly short period of time from harvesting, a decent amount of slurry and an 11 batch size however. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I never did this part, just repitched slurry directly. It was within a fairly short period of time from harvesting, a decent amount of slurry and an 11 batch size however. 

Yep. It's an interesting area re-pitching from trub. You usually know your pitching rate from a commercial package on the initial brew, but due to ferment temp & the final ABV of that beer, it can throw up some differing yeast cell survival counts post-primary fermentation.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NewBrews said:

So how would it go if I made a starter from the harvested yeast left over @Beerlust?

Apart from increasing your cell base, starters are a good viability test for your yeast. Also if re-using yeast from trub, by pitching it into a starter first, if there is any spoilage or wild yeast present, you'll pick it here at the starter stage before pitching it into a full volume batch & ruining that.

The general consensus is that a lowish gravity somewhere around 1.030 - 1.040 is suitable.

The real yeast daddies here on the forum could help you with a set volume starter that you could possibly then split, store & re-use again.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

I've got a harvested CCA yeast that's been stored in a jar in the fridge. It's been there about a month. Do I need to make a starter for it? I have used one before where I've poured off the excess water and done the swirl to bring it back into suspension then pitched as is with no issues. 

1 hour ago, karlos_1984 said:

I've got a harvested CCA yeast that's been stored in a jar in the fridge. It's been there about a month. Do I need to make a starter for it? I have used one before where I've poured off the excess water and done the swirl to bring it back into suspension then pitched as is with no issues. 

How much yeast is it?

16 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

About 2cm from the bottom of the jar which is about 500ml I think. Has been reactivated from 6 pale stubbies and used in a dark ale kit n kilo.

Yeah mate that’d be enough for a “standard” brew. If your brewing a lighter beer just remember to decant the darker beer off first. Take some of your new wort and swirl it up then pitch.

• Like 1

So got mine running over the weekend. Had 3 Pale Ales each on Saturday and Sunday night and added them to my 1.25 soft drink bottle. Been shaking it up every time I walk past it as the cooler weather is slowing it down a bit.

I had to let some of the CO2 out last night as the bottle was hard as a rock, but it had a real nice beery and yeasty smell to it. It’s got about 5mm of yeast in the bottom of the dimples this morning so I reckon another 24 hours and put the brew together and pitch tomorrow night!

Edited by NewBrews
  • Like 1