Coopers Community

Reactivating CCA Yeast

Olemate

I have used a stepped starter (500ml/1000ml/1500ml) to reactivate Coopers Commercial yeast from 3 x APA stubbies. As a result I have a very healthy covering of yeast which covers the bottom of my 3L flask. I did decant some wort off the yeast prior to each step up, So I have 1.5L wort on top of the yeast.

Would it be OK to decant, say, 500ml wort, stir up the rest and pour into 2 x 500ml containers? Would I have enough viable yeast for 2 x 23L ale brews?

Opinions, suggestions greatly appreciated.

+1 to what Greeny said.

Harvest slurry from the full brew you pitch this into once it's fermented out. It will likely yield a good volume of viable yeast depending on what original gravity you pitch this stepped up starter into.

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

Fill a stubby or similar for a future brew. 

Assume you've used a stirplate to bring cell count up?  By stepping up in 3 stages you'll have more cells than if you'd pitched directly into 1500 ml of wort. 

I store yeast in reagent bottles or vials for long term storage and being graduated I can easily read volume of clean yeast 

Thanks lads. I have 2 brews in FVs at the moment so I'll do as suggested and store in the fridge, then maybe use a small starter before pitching the lot into my next brew.

Dang!! Reagent bottles, would have been a snack to "acquire" way back when I was working.

• 6 months later...

Just on reactivating the CCA yeast again. I've done it twice before with great results. Made one up last nite with 6 pale stubbies, 600ml.of previously boiled water and 60g of sugar. 

Have realised this morning that I used castor sugar instead of normal table sugar. The plastic bottle hasn't firmed up at all after heaps of shaking and it doesn't appear that the yeast has reactivated at all. Should I add some more regular sugar and does castor sugar not work as well in these due to it being more refined?

There seems to be a bit of activity this afternoon. It's releasing gas when I crack the lid after shaking so it appears something is happening. Looks a lot darker than the last 2 batches of yeast I've done. Maybe it was an older 6 pack after all ...

I pitched this batch of yeast yesterday morning about 10am, at 18 degrees. Fridge was set to 18, had a hit water bottle in there overnight but it dropped to 16.9 degrees. Have put another hot bottle in this morning to bring it back up to temp. Nil signs of any activity. How long until I should bite the bullet and chuck in some rehydrated lot yeast? I'd be surprised if this CCA yeast is gonna spark up anytime soon

It's held 18 degrees all day with the hot water bottle change over at about 9am. I think it's kicked off now, just went to change the hot water bottle and there's a couple pyramids of Krausen forming that weren't there this morning and I can see it bubbling away. Hopefully the heat from fermenting will last until Monday and my heat belt turns up in the post, the hot water bottle is a PITA

Yeah I'm glad I don't really need heating here. Usually i use an Erlenmeyer flask of boiling water if I do. It'll maintain temp during active fermentation so you'll be right for a few days without any need for heating. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

• 1 month later...

A question for all of you CCA experts here. I’ve got my next three brews that I’d like to use the CCA yeast on. 

If I do a “normal” reactivation using the “skaken not stirred” method, is it possible to harvest from that, or should I just pitch all of it, then harvest from the trub of that for the next brew?

The first one is only an 11l brew, the next couple are 23l batches. They are planned to increase in gravity slightly, but not by a huge margin.

Adding a red back onto every batch just for yeast doesn’t make much sense?