Coopers Community

The cheapest brew

csavage87

I've been doing all those additions (or approximations of them) in my pale ales recently with improved results. Previously I would do a 10 minute addition, flameout then dry hops later on in the FV. Now I do all that plus cube hops and I've been increasing the weights for all these additions as well, not by heaps but another 10g each or so. As a result I'm not using much at FWH/60 minutes but I do still add a small amount early for a bit of that "proper" bitterness. I figure by having these four late additions I'm getting the benefits of each one, and it seems to be working pretty well so far. I will continue experimenting though.

Going back to US-05/1056 over the 1272 I was using has helped as well. That yeast threw a bit of a harsh/tart like flavor that tended to overshadow the other flavors too much for my liking. By contrast, I had a really nice APA that ran out recently using Vic Secret hops, it was done with 1056 and came out much smoother, and the hop and malt flavors I enjoy came through much better.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely think there are diminishing returns from too many hops, but as posted, it is about how and when they are used for best effect and balance.  My recent pale ale could of recieved about 75% of the hops and still would've been fine. But that is also something you have to find out for your tastes. That is why we brew, to make beer we like and generally for less than the stores. 

Great conversation

Norris

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Going back to US-05/1056 over the 1272 I was using has helped as well. That yeast threw a bit of a harsh/tart like flavor that tended to overshadow the other flavors too much for my liking. By contrast, I had a really nice APA that ran out recently using Vic Secret hops, it was done with 1056 and came out much smoother, and the hop and malt flavors I enjoy came through much better.

Keep talking that way Otto and I may have to try US-05 again. LOL!

Cheers,

Christina.

• 1 month later...

Well with Woolies discontinuing there home brew stocks at most stores I'm sure we can all put some atrocities down for hella cheap! example I got 2 x Lager tins @ $2.70 each the other day (only bought them to throw in some TOUCAN experiments) and of course everyone's stock of Mexican Cerveza tins. Just curious what has been your most adventurous Kits n Bits brew. BTW I have no intention of mixing a Tin ($2.70) and a bag of Brewing sugar($1.80) together as it will taste like utter shiet. I think after making some half decent beers and not cutting corners on quality ingredients its hard to put down sub standard brew.

But yeah what's your most adventurous brew ?    

Archived