Coopers Community

The cheapest brew

csavage87

Hi All,

So I had a go at a 'Toucan Pale Ale' using one can of CPA and no other fermentables, for an 11L batch in my little (craft-brew) fermenter. It's actually not too bad... wasn't expecting much! Although, very bitter when it warms up a tad...
Was just experimenting to see what could be done on the cheap, rather than to make 'great' beer. 

Was thinking of doing the same with a Homebrand/Woolies Lager or Draught (to make it even bloody cheaper, of course) - although, I chose the Coopers Pale Ale for this experiment because of its low bitterness rating. Anyone done anything similar? 
Or, has anyone done a Toucan CPA with extra hops for aroma/flavour? I'd be keen to know what you added and if it worked well or not...
Of course, I realise this will be only one step above 'crap beer' at best; I was just curious to see what I can achieve on the cheap. 

Thanks,
Savo. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once at a Big W sale I think I got a can of Mexican Cerveza for $13, and a box of BE3 for $6. I added $5 worth of hops, 50g of citra. I split the citra with a 20 minute steep and a dry hop. Made it up to 20l. It was nice, my work mates even took some home.

Less than .50c a bottle.

54 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Once at a Big W sale I think I got a can of Mexican Cerveza for $13, and a box of BE3 for $6. I added $5 worth of hops, 50g of citra. I split the citra with a 20 minute steep and a dry hop. Made it up to 20l. It was nice, my work mates even took some home.

Less than .50c a bottle.

Sounds wonderful Norris!

I guess mine only works out to be about $1.50 per litre, which would make it about 75c per bottle. Yours sounds much nicer for cheap! 

I've done the Kilted IPA 23L for $21.35 = 0.34c per bottle for 21L worth of finished product. It's on the lighter ABV side, mind you @ 4.12%. 

Plus it used harvested yeast which I don't count into the cost per batch for gen2+

I had one tonight and although it isn't my finest hour, it's still a decent beer.

If I was to do it again, at the same price, I would add 10g of citra at 15min, 15g steep for 15 minutes and a 25g dry hop...maybe even bypass the dry hop and do a 40g flameout.  You could substitute any hop you prefer, but think of it as a Corona without the need for a lime. Smashable and cheap. Keeping it simple worked on this brew.

Cheers

Norris

Think Chang or Leo with a little more malt flavour. Its a hit with my megaswill loving mates who love light type beers. Why the hell they prefer it over something really tasty I have no friggin idea. Must say that after mowing the lawn in summer i drink 2 or 3 in no time flat. Its a real thirst quencher.

The Toucan stout with a kilo of dex works out pretty cheap.

Three tallies of that feels like 5 maybe 5.5 of ordinary beer to me.

I don't know, I suspect the maths doesn't quite add up but it feels that way to me.

I think $30 a batch, $10 a slab equivalent is cheap enough.

I use raw sugar to prime though, those Coopers Carbonation Drops seem an extravagance to me.

I'm purely a kit & kilo brewer. I bought 2 of the Woolies Homebrand lager cans in the name of economics.
To the first I added 500g LDM + 500g dextrose and used the included yeast sachet.  Result was a below average beer. 
To the second I added BE2 hoping to get a better result. It was only marginally better but still a below average beer.
My Woolies Homebrand days are over unless I become homeless and destitute. In which case that would make me a homeless brewer.

4 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I got into brewing for the fun and to make better beer and it can actually be quite an expensive hobby. My new planned batch will cost around $130

You'll and your ilk 'll be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.?

27 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I got into brewing for the fun and to make better beer and it can actually be quite an expensive hobby. My new planned batch will cost around $130

Without knowing the batch size that does sound quite extreme for a standard sized brew. Even at half that cost it would be an expensive beer to make @ 21-23 litres.

I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown of costings.

21 minutes ago, Marvin said:

You'll and your ilk 'll be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.?

Everyone has their wall Marvin. Each differs from one person to another. That said, I'm hearin' ya. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Without knowing the batch size that does sound quite extreme for a standard sized brew. Even at half that cost it would be an expensive beer to make @ 21-23 litres.

Hi @Beerlust

It is a 24L batch of an IPA and here is the breakdown. 

Pale malt 5.60kgs - $27.15

Light Munich 1.05kgs - $5.20 

Caramunich 1 0.35kgs - $2.00 

Simcoe 155gms - $20.15 

Centennial 180gms - $21.60 

Riwaka 250gms - $30 (This hop is hard to find so I had to buy seperate)

US-05 x 2 - $10.90 

Delivery on the order (Minus the Riwaka) $15 

Total cost is over $130!! 

Lets hope it is a good beer!! 

Beer Baron

I think I brew reasonably affordable beers, it was one of my primary goals when I got back into homebrewing:  "Make the best beer I can as cheaply as I can".

Like Kelsey some of my favourites are the cheapest to brew.  Hops add significantly to the cost so brewing styles that aren't overly hoppy are always going to be cheaper to brew.  As mentioned buying certain ingredients in bulk also helps keep costs down.  Working for your LHBS and getting a staff discount also helps too!  ?

Of course a REALLY cheap (and crap) brew would be the likes of a budget beer kit paired with a kilo of table sugar.   But it's surprising how many happily settle for just that.  But then again, if the 'mega-swills' are their benchmark then it makes perfect sense!  ☺️

9 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Hi @Beerlust

It is a 24L batch of an IPA and here is the breakdown...

Fair call.

The ingredients certainly look like they'll make a very yummy beer. ?

$130 does seem high, but that will make 3 cartons worth of very hoppy beer.

If I had $43 & had a choice between a carton of commercial beer & BB's beer, I know which one I would buy & drink. ?

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

I suppose I started doing this to try and make a decent beer for less money as well.  I love Hoppy beers and IPAs but I can't justify the costs of nearly $100 a carton. Although after experimenting with various hops and the costs involved, I now appreciate why some of these beers are so expensive.

At the end of the day, if I can brew a quick kit n kilo with some hops added by a steep and dry hop and get away with the total cost being about $40 or so, then it's still a cheaper way to do it because you end up with roughly 2 cartons. A carton of Cooper's pale as a benchmark half decent mainstream beer is usually just under $50 anyway (in SA at least).

Dan Murphys usually do a combo APA can and BE2 for $20. Chuck some hops at that n it's a decent cheap beer.

We probably all got into brewing at least partly to save money, but I guess it's like any hobby - it's as cheap or expensive as you make it. 

6 years ago I spent about $700 setting up for AG and haven't really bought any additional equipment for it since other than a false bottom, and a new grain bag every now and then if one gets a hole in it. The savings I've made on ingredients would have paid for it 2-3 times over by now. 

I certainly notice the difference in the bank account when I have to buy cartons in the event of running out of beer. $60-70 a carton against about $8 that it costs to brew my own, and those expenses aren't weekly or batch to batch since I buy in bulk. Most weeks I spend nothing on beer.

Archived