Coopers Community

Brew #5

Lab Cat

Hi all

Just bottled my Pils and loaded up for the next brew, so I've got plenty of stocks, then I'll probably slow down a bit.

I grabbed a Black Rock Pale, a BE3 and 50g citra hops for a steep. I meant to get cascade, but ended up with Citra. This appears to be more fruity which could be ok, I gather Cascade is more of a citrus?

Even when I use Brew enhancers I still do a boil, I do 500g in 4.7l water, 5l is fine, your trying to get the boil gravity to 1.040 as that extracts the oils and stuff better. With that said, water extracts it the best but it tends to be harsher. For small amounts like for a hop tea it is fine but other well respected brewers, @Hairy
 use dme in the hop tea and add the before fermentation is finished.

Hope that helps.

Norris

It looks like the black rock pale ale is 16ibus, I am guessing that is for 23l. If you drop the volume to 21l or even 20 to 19l it will increase the bitterness and any aroma/flavors from the can. With the 50g of citra you have a few options but it depends on if you want more bitterness and some aroma and flavour or if your happy with the current IBU level.

Option 1 adding a bit more bitterness but increasing the flavour.

10g citra boiled for 15 minutes

15g flameout. which means after the 15 minute boil, turn off the heat toss in the hops and move the pot to a pool of cool water to steep for 15 to 20 minutes.

25g dry hop. You could also just toss the last 40g in at flameout and skip the dry hop but that is up to the brewer.

More flavour and aroma with little added to the bitterness

boil your brew liquid, 500g and 5l, for 5 minutes turn off the heat and toss in 25g (flameout) put the pot in a bath of water and let steep for 15 to 20 minutes.

Dry hop with the 25g or as above skip the dry hop and toss everything in at flameout.

option 3

10g at 15min

15g at 5 min

25g at flameout

So boil the BE3, with the same proportions as above, for 15 minutes. Start the timer once the wort has started to boil, at that time toss in 10g, 10 minutes later toss in the 15g and after 5 more minutes toss in the 25g. No dry hop.

There are a ton more ways but these 3 should give you some ideas.

Cheers

Norris

thanks Norris. I don't mind bitter beer at all, but I'm not familiar with the IBU scale, so don't know where the black rock sits. I used a hop bag for boil last time, but if I'm doing split boils, I assume it's ok to jsut throw them in without that, and put thru a strainer when ready to go in the FV?.

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

but other well respected brewers, @Hairy
 use dme in the hop tea and add the before fermentation is finished.

Hope that helps.

Norris

I correctly read this as “but other well respected Brewers, and Hairy, use DME .......”

I would make it at 19l or even 20l and that should increase the bitterness to a more noticeable level for you then.

Maybe try a 10 minutes addition which will give it some flavor with 10 or 15g

and then go the rest at flameout or split it to have a 25g dry hop or maybe 20g dry hop.

Or just go with a 25g at flameout and 25g dry hop. Simple boil the 5l for like 5 minutes turn off the heat toss in half of the hops and let steep for 15 to 20 minutes and some guy name Bob is your Uncle.

Good luck

Norris

For best Aroma/Flavor of your citra  you could Dry Hop;

When your fermentation is about finished at around  day 5, you get a new chux cloth, put your 40g of Citra in the middle, tie it with a sanitized cable tie or rubber band, open your FV and chuck it in for your final 3 days of pimary fermentation.  Then lift the lid, grab the floating chux cloth, give it a "Lusty" squeeze to drop all the lovely juice into the FV. then after a day or so, cold crash or bottle.

Cheers

Cheers. lots of options. Some I even understand. I want to keep it simple, but add as much flavour as poss, as I don't know how bitter the standard can is.

If I do a 10m boil and steep of about 10g, and then dry hop the rest as Warthog's post, will that get me max flavour and simpleness?

Or if boiling 10g doesn't do much anyway, I could just dry hop the lot. But I can't cold crash, no beer fridge.

On 10/11/2018 at 5:15 PM, Worthog said:

For best Aroma/Flavor of your citra  you could Dry Hop;

When your fermentation is about finished at around  day 5, you get a new chux cloth, put your 40g of Citra in the middle, tie it with a sanitized cable tie or rubber band, open your FV and chuck it in for your final 3 days of pimary fermentation.  Then lift the lid, grab the floating chux cloth, give it a "Lusty" squeeze to drop all the lovely juice into the FV. then after a day or so, cold crash or bottle.

Cheers

Thanks Norris, I'll be doing this. My first hop experiment was with Fuggles and the English bitter. I boiled and steeped those before putting in at the start of ferment. Bitters are meant to be bitter after all, so thought this a logical choice. It didn't turn our extra bitter at all, in fact it's fairly subtle, but decent. I'm glad I did or the EB might have been a bit bland.

I don't know how bitter the black rock pale extract is, so flavour seems the thing to go with.

I teabagged Saaz for my pils, and they're still in the bottle. I get now why the shop only gave me a bag this time. I remember he said the 62 days is quite hopped up already, so that's why they didn't give me pellets to boil.

Don't disagree, that is the flavour profile of Bitters. But you need that bitterness for balance, otherwise they're too sweet. I couldn't find a really good bitter anywhere, and that got me into brewing. With all this micro brew market going on, no one seems to be making any bitters. 4 Pines ESB is not bad, but a bit thin on body and flavour.

I grew up going to British pubs, and my palette may have changed, but I remember a lot of the tap stuff being more bitter than flavoursome. If I did the EB again, I'd probably try and get more bitterness into it, unless the batch I have develops more bitterness.

Archived