Coopers Community

All the gear and no idea

Alpip94

Hi Guys!

I just received the coopers lager brew kits for my birthday.

Sunday just gone I started my brew.  Mixed all the ingredients and couldn’t quite get the brew under 27degrees Celsius. I added the yeast, clipped the lid down and let it sit, it then dropped to around 24degrees celcius not long after that. 

The initial hydrometer reading Immediately after mixing the ingredients was 10:36 its Now Tuesday afternoon and it’s been at a stable temperature for the last 2 days. I did another reading on the hydrometer and it read 10:12. There are no tell tail Signs of fermentation  such as foaming or a ring of filth around the top of the brew.

Does this sound right? 

How long should it take before it’s ready to bottle?

How often should I register a reading in the hydrometer?

Hi there. 

You shoule try and keep the temperature of the brew around 18-20. With the temperature being higher it could make it ferment very fast and may produce off flavours. 

Dont be in a rush to bottle. Most people bottle 7-10 days after starting their brew. 

I would leave it for another 4-5 days. Leaving it longer helps to make sure fermentation has definitely finish and will ensure that the yeast cleans up after itself. 

@BEER BARRON Hi thanks for the quick reply!

Ill leave it a bit before botteling than.

My main concern was the lack of “tell tails” that fermenting had started, all though there is condensation throughout the drum.

Ive got the drum sitting in a small room with the fan on and no direct sunlight and can’t seem to get it down to a lower temp than 24 which seem to be the average temperature. 

Are there other ways to cool it down in a warmer climate other than airconditioning or using a fridge?

I did the lager that came with the kit - most do as it's in there... The lager and brew kit 1 one doesn't seem to have much visible action. I remember mine clouded over, but not much foam at all.

I don't have temp control either, but cold towels are good, as is a heat belt if you're in colder states.

Archived