Coopers Community

Green Bottles

BlueBru

I have been pondering this question this afternoon. 

If brown bottles are generally used for beer to keep out light, then why are most lighter beers, like Lager, in green bottles? Is it something to do with the light in the northern hemisphere, where lagers originated?

Why are bottles Green?
This was because the clear glass allowed UV rays to penetrate the beer and alter the flavour. The solution was turning bottles brown, a darker colour which would block out the rays.
After World War II, green bottles also became popular due to a shortage of brown glass.

I've never really wondered about it enough to look up why, but that's it apparently.
I only use green bottles for lager and cider.

In a commercial retail environment beer is often exposed to long periods of bright light & UV light due to being stored on shelves & on open displays. A beer housed in a clear or lighter coloured bottle that allows the light to pass through makes the beer contained in it more susceptible to "skunking" that is an accelerated degradation of the original beer flavour & aroma that can come across as quite unpleasant. Skunking does take a reasonably lengthy time under these conditions before it surfaces in the beer though.

In a home brewing environment as long as you store your beer away from a direct bright light source, it won't matter what colour bottles you have your beer in, they'll be fine. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived