Coopers Community

Goodbye us05

bennysbrew

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...I gave up on campden tablets because the bloody things were too hard to crush up effectively. Or at least the ones I had were. I wondered if they would dissolve by themselves when thrown into water whole, so I dosed two cubes of distilled water with one each, and by the next day they were still sitting in the bottom undissolved. 

Yeah I found the same thing. They don't dissolve in cold water very well at all. I quickly worked out that I needed to add them to hot or near boiling water to break them down. So I'd add them to a small hot water source & stir a bit until dissolved & then pour into to the larger water batch & mix well.

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...Having said all that, as I previously mentioned I'd done numerous batches with untreated tap water with US-05 and never had this band-aid/medicinal problem.

I had a period a few years back where I was having slow lag times & the odd infected brew. It was quite frustrating. So I had a real good look at my partial mash processes.

At the time I used to mix my dried malt extract portion up in the fermenter just after I had started my mini-mashes. I'd do it to fill in time during the mash & save a little time on the day. At the time I didn't think I was doing anything wrong, but then I realised this wort was sitting around for a good 3-4 hours before I'd mix the mini-mash wort, other extracts & top up water etc. with it prior to pitching the yeast. I was openly creating a situation where an airborne bacteria or wild yeast could begin to establish itself in this wort. Effectively giving these bacteria's & wild yeasts a 3-4 hour head-start on my chosen yeast.

I've seen some growth rate charts of these wild yeasts & bacteria's vs brewers yeasts & I admit I was staggered at the speed of cell multiplication of these wild organisms vs the rates typically associated with brewers yeast strains.

I no longer do this pre-mixing of extract & haven't had a poor lag time or infection since.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had no problems at all with US-05, both fresh packs and re-used slurry up to 6 weeks old. I have used chlorinated tap water for my kits and bits, extract and now partial mash brews without bandaids. I do live in a fruit growing area (Perth Hills) and have citrus just outside my shed door where the brew fridge is. The only brew that has had issues was a previously mentioned K-97 brew that looked very slow to get going. My thoughts mirror the above and I believe the wild yeasts got that before my delayed pitch and long lag time could do the job. It was the only beer that turned up some noses and my wife said "tastes like arse!" I thought it was interesting....wouldn't brew it again though.

I've been nervous about the lag times of US-05 since, but still like it for hoppy pale ales and IPA's. This thread is a good reminder for me to be diligent with sanitation (I am), rapid cooling (not bad) and pitching quickly (could be better), particularly in this fruit growing area.

I remember that Lusty, I think I actually suggested at the time that this wort sitting around unpitched for a while could be the cause of those issues. 

As far as I know the only two causes for this medicinal/band-aid like flavor are chlorophenols or contamination. It is always a fault in beer, so even those funky Belgian strains and the like won't throw it. They may throw clove which apparently can be confused for band-aid at times. A yeast strain isn't going to pick and choose when it decides to throw certain flavors aside from temperature differences, or if it mutates too far away from its original state. If a clean, neutral strain like 05 is only throwing these flavors in specific instances only some of the time then it stands to reason that it would be one of those two causes.

15 hours ago, Worthog said:

Right there.. a process problem may exist.

I explored the issue pretty thoroughly.   And let's not forget (though everyone seems to), the issue only ever occurred with US-05.  Same process with other yeasts - no problem.  

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I remember that Lusty, I think I actually suggested at the time that this wort sitting around unpitched for a while could be the cause of those issues. 

You probably did mate (I can't quite remember). ? I think at the time I had a few people suggesting different things & possible causes that I worked through eventually. I think Hairy may have mentioned the application of a Campden tablet around the same time too as it also deals with wild yeast. The implementation of both ideas certainly helped in my case. ?

I was thankful for all the advice & opinions offered.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Well it is Friday & I have the weekend off so I made a rare trip to the BEST craft beer selection bottleshop in SA. The Old Spot Hotel. The range is massive now! If you live in SA, love craft beer, & haven't checked this place out yet, do yourself a favour & check it out.

FridayNight-6PK-10-18.jpg

I'll slide this lot down over the weekend. The Hobo brewing beer will be sampled shortly. It retails for approx. $88.00 a carton @ First Choice Liquor. The one second in from the left is a sessionable "3 x Citra" beer from a Denmark brewery that I cannot translate. LOL. I think I've had a session ale from Balter before & it was very good & others speak highly of theirs beers so grabbed two I haven't had from them. The other two I haven't tried either.

From left to right the ABV ranges from 4.5% to 6.8%.

I've have had a rough day today, so looking forward to them.

Cheers,

Lusty.

7 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Did you recognise the can Hairy? It has an insignia on the side that seems to be it's brand/trademark.

I presumed it was them, they have a distinctive style.

Is the logo something like To Ol

13 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I presumed it was them, they have a distinctive style.

Is the logo something like To Ol

TO-OL-Citra-Ale.jpg

Spot on Hairy! I'm just finishing this one off. It's very good. Interestingly it uses oats as part of the grist. Has a notable creaminess to it due to that & glass lacing is good.

Have you had any of their other beers?

Cheers,

Lusty.

21 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

TO-OL-Citra-Ale.jpg

Spot on Hairy! I'm just finishing this one off. It's very good. Interestingly it uses oats as part of the grist. Has a notable creaminess to it due to that & glass lacing is good.

Have you had any of their other beers?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I was going to buy one last night but can’t recall which style. It was $12 a can so I decided to stick to local beers which were probably more fresh. I may go back and get one on the weekend.

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I was going to buy one last night but can’t recall which style. It was $12 a can so I decided to stick to local beers which were probably more fresh. I may go back and get one on the weekend.

Citra is one of those hops you can actually pound a little more of into the boil without adding a lot of excessive bitterness vs the weight of it used. I think these blokes understand that & have added the oats in to curb any expected increase in bitterness they though heavier volumes might produce. Either that, or they just late hopped a lot of it, I can't be sure! ? They've done it well though (IMHO). Well enough that I'm now back interested enough to look at oats again.

Cheers,

Lusty.

4 hours ago, Mark D Pirate said:

What did you think of the HOBO lusty ? 

Heya Pirate. ?

It was OK. More like a session IPA as it was just a teeny bit on the bitter side. 43 IBU @ 4.5% ABV (from memory). Fairly nice malt profile. It looked to be secondary fermented in the can as there was a reasonable amount of sediment in the bottom. Poured a good head & was a little over-carbonated. Nice to drink though.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I've only skimmed this topic and it seems to be one of those problems that can't be resolved in a hurry, a bit of a mystery. I use US05 pretty often and I like it and it doesn't give me problems.  I did have a period of spoiled brews though that ended when I stopped using Starsan and returned to using thin bleach, in combination with white vinegar - 1 teaspoon of each in one US gallon, which can be used as a no rinse sanitiser.   https://beerliever.com/bleach-no-rinse-sanitiser-home-brewing-beer/

My theory is that some kind of organism in my 100 year old Mancunian house was not being taken out by Starsan and developed quickly in my wort while the yeast I pitched was still having a look around the FV and getting used to its new surroundings. Why should it only happen with US05 though? I dunno, except for the slow lag time thing. I prefer US05 to Notty myself, I just prefer the beers it makes, as a general rule, though I do sometimes use Notty for darker, stronger styles that I age for longer. I tend to use US05 when hops are the key ingredient. If you get down  with the bleach, so to speak, you may resolve the problem, perhaps. Just my two pence.

If you're not careful you might end up with the exact same problem as the others have had, as a result of using bleach. I haven't had any issues with Starsan not killing things as far as I know (no infected batches/off flavors) but I wouldn't mind trying iodophor. Just as effective as bleach from what I have read without the risk of chlorine causing problems.

Now before all the chlorine bleach lovers jump down my throat, I'm not suggesting its use will 100% certainly definitely always cause problems every time you use it, just that there is a risk of it that isn't there with other products, and one I prefer to avoid. Apparently some people read "you risk causing problems" and interpret it as "you will definitely get bad beer". It's not what I'm saying.

Archived