Coopers Community

Inkbird ITC308 - how to use cool & heat belt together

Hi, dumb question but have not brewed for ages (and was a novice at best back then) and never in cooler weather, so now have a heat belt. I am getting confused re how to set cool *and* heat to work correctly. Brewing a stock kit Bootmakers Pale Ale, was advised to keep to around 21 degrees. So, what I am trying to do is set decent cooling i.e. turns on at 23, off at maybe 22, heatbelt to kick in between 21 and 22. In theory, nights are pretty cool here in Vic right now, so is is better to just let heat belt do it's thing and have no cooling kick in? I'd keep the brew insulated in the fridge but have it turned off? Thoughts?

Can someone please post exact steps to achieve this with the Inkbird (ITC 308?). Just stuck the brew in the fridge now so keen for some quick responses. I promise further topics will be less dopey!!

With the Inkbird, you set your desired temp - say 21 degrees. Then you set the cooling differential, say 2 degrees. It will turn on cooling when the probe registered 23 degrees. You set the heating differential, say 1.5 degrees, it will turn on the heat belt when the probe registers 19.5 degrees.

I wouldn't even let it swing that far. Tape the probe to the side of the fermenter underneath some foam and set the difference to 0.3 or 0.5 degrees both ways, that way the fridge will kick in when it hits 21.5 and the heater will kick it if it drops to 20.5. That will keep it at a more stable temp than a 2-3 degree swing.

Thanks all. I think this, my second Inkbird has died. No matter what I set it to, it defaults to 22 degrees as set temp, the ambient tempo shows change as the temp drops but can't set actual temperature now at all. I think this is the same crap that happened with my last one that lasted 3 weeks. This lasted 6 months but have not brewed in 5 months grrr,

48 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

Not to state the obvious, but you're holding down the Set button until it flashes to save the settings?

Yes, did that... well sort of, it seems I wasn't pressing it for long enough which is odd as I thought I held it as long as I did to get into the settings in the first place! I was going to make up some excuse that the button was playing up but decided to come clean after your post and pressed it down for longer ?. Cheers!

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I wouldn't even let it swing that far. Tape the probe to the side of the fermenter underneath some foam and set the difference to 0.3 or 0.5 degrees both ways, that way the fridge will kick in when it hits 21.5 and the heater will kick it if it drops to 20.5. That will keep it at a more stable temp than a 2-3 degree swing.

OVB, already have the foam taped to the side with the probe under that, works a treat, have done that for the last few brews. Have set the variance to .5 too.

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi OVB, Does this mean it will swing between heating and cooling pretty regularly until the brew temperature stabilises?

How long would it usually take to stabilise?

No, because the thing is measuring the temp of the brew itself. This changes a lot slower than the ambient air temperature. I timed mine once, the fridge was turned on for about 6 minutes then turned off for about 14 minutes, during active fermentation with a difference of 0.3 degrees. Setups will vary a bit but most will be similar sorts of times.

im from Melbourne too and have mine set (for ales using US05) at 19.c + or - .5c

ive found that even during winter it wouldnt cycle too much as the fridge and brews hold their own temps.

Make sure you are setting it correctly as well...holding down the set button to lock in the figure

Melbourne here also, and have been brewing here for a few years now so understand the conditions pretty well. I have never used the dual control its either heat or cool depending on the time of year. What we have to understand is the ambient temperature and the effect it has on 23l of liquid over a certain period of time. For example the the thermal conductivity of air and wort will be totally different where air heats pretty quickly the wort will take considerably longer to equalise with the air temperature. Outside its 22 deg where i am now, living quarters are 23 deg, i brew in the garage which is cooler than the living quarter, now around 21 deg in there. Brew temperatures are 19.3 which is acceptable for me as both are ales. They both have heat belts set at 18 and i know overnight they will kick in.

You think this is a hobby?  Nah its a science.

By the way i bought one of these https://www.ebay.com.au/i/332593994065?chn=ps which gives me a good understanding of temperatures wherever i set it up. Its just bigger than a 20 cent piece and about 3 times as thick.

7 minutes ago, Worthog said:

Yeah, but an Inkbird hooked up to your fridge and heatbelt is set and forget for a week no matter your environment, Timbuktu or Antarctica.

Cheers

lol Melbourne is somewhere in the middle. Can be Timbuktu or Antarctica in the same day. I normally keep my eye on the weather and brew accordingly. 

Just checked my FV, the stick on strip says 18 degrees, the Inkbird says 22.  Which do I take notice of? My fear is the brew is too cold.  Last night, with the Inkbird set to 21 with CD & HD both on .5 I could hear the fridge turn on around every 10-15 minutes! The heat belt is about 10 cms below the top of the actual brew (not the actual FV). What do I need to do here? I did set the Inkbird up to 23, assuming the stick on temp gauge (which is all I ever used until now) is the accurate one. Any advice welcome, I want this brew to be spot on ?

I got more reliable results from my inkbird probe when I better insulated it against the FV. I used a cut up stubby cooler, and copious amounts of duct tape, to hold it tight against the FV, and sealed across the bottom. 

I don't keep mine as strictly controlled as Otto, so I have a 1.5 degree heating differential. I don't need cooling yet where I am. Since better insulating the probe, I've noticed it takes a lot longer to drop down to where the heat belt kicks in. 

If your fridge is switching on, I assume the ambient temp must be pretty warm where you are?

33 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

I got more reliable results from my inkbird probe when I better insulated it against the FV. I used a cut up stubby cooler, and copious amounts of duct tape, to hold it tight against the FV, and sealed across the bottom.....

+1.  Definitely. 

50 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

I got more reliable results from my inkbird probe when I better insulated it against the FV. I used a cut up stubby cooler, and copious amounts of duct tape, to hold it tight against the FV, and sealed across the bottom. 

I don't keep mine as strictly controlled as Otto, so I have a 1.5 degree heating differential. I don't need cooling yet where I am. Since better insulating the probe, I've noticed it takes a lot longer to drop down to where the heat belt kicks in. 

If your fridge is switching on, I assume the ambient temp must be pretty warm where you are?

I have got a soft polysterne-type pad that is taped to the FV and the probe is securely under that.

No, actually I'm in Central Victoria, last night was around 8 degrees (and fridge is in the uninsulated garage), maybe the heat belt is throwing off some ambient heat? Anyway I wouldn't have thought the fridge would kick in often at all. Just wondering if I should just set Inkbird to 22 or 23 and leave the fridge off? Daytime temp for the next 5 days between 21-25, overnights around 4-10 degrees.

I'm in regional Vic also. Very surprised your fridge is turning on. 

I have 2 fermenters, the one currently attached to the inkbird is on a table in the kitchen. The other is in my recently acquired brew fridge, that I haven't plugged in at all. No heat belt or temp controller for it, but it's maintaining 20c pretty easily just being inside the fridge. Each night I add a bottle of hot tap water to the shelf of the fridge door, and that's all I've needed to do to keep it at around 20c.

Something isn't quite right if your fridge is turning on when it's 8 degrees out. 

25 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

I'm in regional Vic also. Very surprised your fridge is turning on. 

I have 2 fermenters, the one currently attached to the inkbird is on a table in the kitchen. The other is in my recently acquired brew fridge, that I haven't plugged in at all. No heat belt or temp controller for it, but it's maintaining 20c pretty easily just being inside the fridge. Each night I add a bottle of hot tap water to the shelf of the fridge door, and that's all I've needed to do to keep it at around 20c.

Something isn't quite right if your fridge is turning on when it's 8 degrees out. 

I checked again, sticker temp thing says 18, Inkbird says around 21 now. Kept HD of .5 and changed CD to 1.5. I'll have to live with that and see how it goes...and hope like hell the Inkbird probe is accurate!

Archived