Sign in to follow this  
King Ruddager

Gelatine finings

Just wondering about a few things when it comes to clarifying your beer with gelatine (@Beerlust; you can just move on to the next discussion topic)

So, three questions ...

1. Is a cold-crash also necessary or will there be a decent effect without that?
  2. Is supermarket gelatine powder (below) suitable, or do you need something specific to brewing?
  3. Will it have any impact on your ability to harvest the yeast?

McKenzies-Gelatine-Powder_400PX-281x400.

Some follow-up questions already too (because I never fully think these things through before I start typing ?)

1. How long does it need to take effect?
  2. Are there any considerations if also dry-hopping?
  3. Can it be added to a bottling bucket on bottling day?

14 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Just wondering about a few things when it comes to clarifying your beer with gelatine (@Beerlust; you can just move on to the next discussion topic)

Exonerated from clarity discussions??!! How elitist! ?

I have no problems with those that wish to clarify their beers. Just understand what you are removing from suspension when you do this, particularly with beers that derive the bulk of their flavour from hops &/or yeast.

For the record, lager beers are predominantly about promoting malt flavour so stripping hop & yeast based influences through clarification don't hurt beers like this a whole lot.

Talk clarifying agents with yeast flavoured beers such as wheat beers, or hop forward beers like American pale Ales & IPA's then expect some objections from me if you want the best result. ?

Please carry on.

Lusty.

• Haha 1

I use the Mackenzie’s gelatin from Coles.

Add at around 10degC when starting CC.

( As per, dare I say it  - Brulosophy)

Much Clearer beers, reduces post consumption fart noises and smells, but maintains hop presence in my experience!

Cheers

James

Half a teaspoon in about 150ml of water at 63degC

I reckon you can see the yeast dropping in the FV within a day.

I have seen the the yeast sticking to the side of the FV drop within a day of adding Gelatin, (also because of CC effects maybe). 

But there’s absolutely no argument against its fart control properties!!

Cheers

James

Yes it will work but I think there are better products available depending on what you're intending to drop out. Isinglass is effective for yeast, and leaves a very compact sediment. Gelatine tends to leave a jelly like sediment that disturbs easily. Polyclar is my go to for chill haze removal, brilliant stuff and has no noticeable effect on the flavor to my palate. Another option is biofine clear which works on both yeast and chill haze.  All of them drop out into the trub, but cold crashing makes them most effective. 

• Like 1

Gelatine is my primary fining. I don't use it or any other fining for yeast flavoured beers. Belgians. Saisons. Wheats etc. I use a short cold crash of 3 days or so. For other ales i tend to use just a cold crash of 6 or 7 days. For lagers I fast chill which I think is the key to killing chill haze. Then cold crash and fine with gelatin in the keg. Find that works great for every lager I make bar the Asian lager. For whatever reason it doesn't clear. I think it's the rice component but it's a nut I have to crack.

Bit picky, you blokes. ?

I reckon beer left in the fermenter for 14 days then bottled for 28 days is clear enough.
Chill haze doesn't bother me.

But not everyone leaves their beer for 28 days. ?

Alright, I'm back onto this nonsense again, primarily to make a nice clear marzen for a competition. I don't actually give a stuff about clarity usually.

Also, I'm on a really, REALLY tight timeline.

1. Cold crash for a couple of days
  2. Gelatine for a couple of days
  3. Bottle, bring it up to 20 and hope for carbonation
  4. Lager as hard as possible for a few days

There's no way I'm going to get all that done in the next five weeks ... but oh well, Wayne Gretzky misses 100% of the beers he doesn't drink.

9 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Alright, I'm back onto this nonsense again, primarily to make a nice clear marzen for a competition. I don't actually give a stuff about clarity usually.

Also, I'm on a really, REALLY tight timeline.

1. Cold crash for a couple of days
  2. Gelatine for a couple of days
  3. Bottle, bring it up to 20 and hope for carbonation
  4. Lager as hard as possible for a few days

There's no way I'm going to get all that done in the next five weeks ... but oh well, Wayne Gretzky misses 100% of the beers he doesn't drink.

Keep an eye on the temp and gelatine when it gets below 10° and you can cut the CC+finings to around 2 days. Maybe slightly increase the priming amount to ensure decent carbonation if you're concerned? It's not like you're going to sit them on the shelf for weeks or months, right? 

Have you made the brew yet? I find a decent (2L) starter at 25° with sugar (or LDME) and pitch at high Kraussen gets things moving fast.

Another possible - heat the sucker and pitch a Kveik for a 3 or 4 day ferment?

Yeah it went "live" with 2nd gen S-23 on Tuesday, and it's off to a fairly active start. Might even be time to consider increasing the temp a little bit ... must check the fast lager schedule

• Like 1

I don't bottle, but for kegging Biofine clear is the go.

biofine 4.jpg

• Like 1