Coopers Community

Dark Ale

EWildcat7

I am about to try my second batch of home brew.  since I really like Coopers' Dark Ale, I figured I would give that a shot.  I plan on following the directions - 1 can of dark ale extract and 1 box of BE3.  Does anybody have any alternate suggestions?  I am still very new at this, so I am not sure I am ready to boil hops, etc.

thanks in advance!

Mate I'm a newb also & just stick to the simple stuff to get the process correct. Steeping some hops or grain in boiling water to add to the FV mix is a good confidence builder IMO. Doing a full on grain recipe boil is a little intense for me at this point.  My advice...? Play around with different types of pre-packaged fermentables & yeasts to add your own touch. I've just started mixing a couple of different can varieties with extra yeast & fermentables for my "baby steps" to grander things.

Just make sure you record what you do for posteritys sake &... 'Go brew for you'

I made a Dark Ale back when I started brewing too. It's not a bad drop really.
BE3 appears to be

500g Light Dry Malt
300g Dextrose
200g Maltodextrin

That won't be bad, and if you've already bought it you might as well use it.
Otherwise a kilo of Light Dry Malt would be good.
I wouldn't think putting any hops in a Dark Ale would make much difference to be honest.

You'll probably be told that temperature control is one of the most important things when brewing.

Keeping the brew at 18-20C constantly throughout fermentation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 3:23 PM, EWildcat7 said:

I am about to try my second batch of home brew.  since I really like Coopers' Dark Ale, I figured I would give that a shot.  I plan on following the directions - 1 can of dark ale extract and 1 box of BE3.  Does anybody have any alternate suggestions?  I am still very new at this, so I am not sure I am ready to boil hops, etc.

thanks in advance!

I haven't typically been a fan of darker beer but decided to give this one a go for something different. Just followed the recipe (except used 'Ultra Brew' from my LHBS which is the same as BE3 anyway)... was very impressed! Drank it way too quickly and don't have any left ? I was sold! It would be interesting to tweak the recipe but tasted delicious as was! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey brew brother, I haven’t brewed the coopers dark ale kit for a long time but when I did I took pb2’s advice on an earlier forum and ‘toucaned’ a coopers  dark ale kit with a 1.5kg amber extract kit. A simple one two combo that rounds off those, slightly excessive  ibu bitters in the kit.(t least according to my tounge). And brings out the nice caramel and chocolate malt flavours. Cheers matey.

Archived