Coopers Community

Show us your current brewing set-up !

Beer Baron

12 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The pH of the water itself doesn't make much difference anyway. It's the alkalinity/carbonate content that has the effect on the pH of the mash. Playing around with water profiles and mashing on Beersmith has led me to creating profiles with very little to no carbonate content for most of my beers, as when it goes higher it pushes the mash pH out of the desired range. I like it around the 5.3-5.4 mark. 

I'll have to find the references I've read in the past about it, but apparently keeping it in range has positive effects all through the process from mashing, boiling/hot break formation and separation to fermentation. 

Correct. Not much but a couple of points. Pilseners i do in rain water go from 5.6 to around 5.4 and pale ales 7.5 ish to 5.8 without acid malt. Saying that as i said i don't taste a difference.

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Correct. Not much but a couple of points. Pilseners i do in rain water go from 5.6 to around 5.4 and pale ales 7.5 ish to 5.8 without acid malt. Saying that as i said i don't taste a difference.

That's what I mean, you're talking about the pH of the strike water. That in itself doesn't really do anything to the pH of the mash. The difference is more likely because the rainwater has no carbonate, or hardly any at best, whereas the tap water would have some. Even 20-25ppm is enough to make a difference, especially if other minerals are low.

My beers are fine, no complaints about the quality I'm producing, but I'm always curious about unknowns.  

• Like 1

My brewing setup.

3v x2 kegs with a 70LT kettle. Uses a RIMS which I have found great for repeatable recipies. (It is currently doubling as a cooker atm and cooking my steak for the night, kids are getting chops)

Also attached is mypile of bottles and brewing gear, I'm currently renovating my shed so everything made its way to this pile. Have another 50kgs of grains coming soon.

And finally my Fridge... has a IPAish beer in it atm. Trying to play with the same recipie but add hops at different times to see what happens.... It's great fun. Last one was okay but hop flavour was not it's strong point, pretty much only bitter

Anyhow if you have the time and money a system like this is amazing. Big thanks to the gent that sold me this, as it the best thing out and very glad I moved to AG

15443300345481249349398484337173.jpg

15443300629076473471447509607376.jpg

1544330127529367773095587987194.jpg

15443303030951377588086863390096.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Got the pulley system untangled and it's ready for use next brew day. It won't live on the hook but it should make life a lot easier for dragging the bag out. Simply hook the bag loops into the holder and pull on the short piece of rope to drag it up. Now I've gotta start putting a metal cabinet together to house all the bits and pieces. 

20181220_140020.thumb.jpg.9e70a4fd254e5b41cdf96b6325f4e35e.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Got the pulley system untangled and it's ready for use next brew day. It won't live on the hook but it should make life a lot easier for dragging the bag out. Simply hook the bag loops into the holder and pull on the short piece of rope to drag it up. Now I've gotta start putting a metal cabinet together to house all the bits and pieces. 

20181220_140020.thumb.jpg.9e70a4fd254e5b41cdf96b6325f4e35e.jpg

Why is there a car in your brewery??😱

• Haha 4

Got the cabinet built and in place. Probably won't be able to put full cubes of wort in it but I'll find a hidey hole for them somewhere around the place. The cubes of distilled water can go in the garden shed.  At least all the small shit and the flasks etc. can live in there and not be taking up kitchen space like the old place. Should make the Mrs happy, but I like that I can have everything in one place. 

IMG_20181221_182104.thumb.jpg.b617027822070b771f24759f91e26b0a.jpg 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The cubes of distilled water can go in the garden shed. 

OVB what equipment do you recommend for doing the water distillation process - I have a good volume of rainwater (currently) - but the quality is a bit questionable after the long dry we had and whatever went into the tank off the roof after it finally started raining...  I would like to investigate the water distillation and water modification opportunity a bit further.

On 12/4/2018 at 8:14 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Maybe in a commercial setting where 2 points of gravity might be millions of dollars a year but i consider my purchase of a ph meter a bit of a waste of money. Should have spent it on another fridge.

Probably need both Greeny 😆

28 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

OVB what equipment do you recommend for doing the water distillation process - I have a good volume of rainwater (currently) - but the quality is a bit questionable after the long dry we had and whatever went into the tank off the roof after it finally started raining...  I would like to investigate the water distillation and water modification opportunity a bit further.

I've just got one of those small water stills found on eBay for around $100. It works well. It holds about 4 litres, but surprisingly doesn't take long to make enough for a couple of batches. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

If you have rain water mate i wouldn't bother with going distilled. Rain water isnt quite 000000 mineral water as it gets some minerals on the way down and from the roof but its close enough. I do pilseners and any beer where i want to mimic profiles with it and it comes out awesome. Only thing is if there is a long time without rain where i have to wait a couple of days for any silt to settle.

• Like 1

Cheers Greeny.

Yes mate there is no doubt that us rainwater fellas have no problem with total soluble salts that the ol' town water systems often have... and rainwater in general is gold.

My Mongrel Lager was on the tankwater and came up fine.

But after the long dry - and another complicated issue with backsiphoning out of the shed backup tank etc etc... then we got some rain after the long dry, and the weather really warmed up.

After thinking I was all good (shed tank issue resolved) it seemed I got some probs with my main tank microbial profile and potentially blue-green algae issue causing sulphurous odours.

Kept showering in it brushing teeth etc but was drinking it boiled... maybe it helped me hair grow back a bit ; )  

This bad odour issue now does appear to be dissipating... the smell has reduced quite a bit now. 

I was hoping the distillation process would knock out any live competition for the yeast - or in bottle ferment stage - and also get rid of any odours in the primary water source...

Last couple brews I managed to get me water from elsewhere...

• Like 1

Well the distillation process involves boiling the water, essentially what distilled water is is condensed steam. So it's possible and dare I say probable that any bugs would be either killed, left behind or both. 

I used to only do it for pilsners to get the really soft water profile required for them to come out their best, but more recently I've been using it in every batch* so I can create specific profiles to suit the styles being brewed. It has worked well. 

*my red ale is an exception. It gets brewed with straight tap water (chloramines removed). Whatever the profile is of the tap water suits it the best.

• Like 1