Coopers Community

Show us your current brewing set-up !

Beer Baron

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

The one that comes with the thermometer and thermowell? I ditched my thermometer and put my Inkbird probe in the hole to monitor brewing temperatures. 

Beer Baron

Nah just the standard brew bucket. Had the option to get that one but didnt see the benefit since i control in a brew freezer with ink bird.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Titan said:

Just picked this up from a guy in the same club as me here in Melbourne. He also threw in about 20k of various grains. This thing is never used still has wrapping on the false bottom. $50, winner winner.

https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/mash-tun-56-litre

Woah! finally a "2nd hand product" that isn't being sold for the same price as new! - Might just be people in my area, but when I look on gumtree, people want like $80 for a standard plastic fermenter. Not sure where they come up with these prices but this is a steal!

Still running a crown urn I picked up second hand a while back,  not pretty but it works ! 

Was gifted a 38 l esky mash tun last week ,  well used with over 250 batches run through it .

Cleaned up well and made an immediate impact on wort clarity and got a stronger boil since I didn't have extra crud on element. 

Otherwise it's a very simple rig  , very cheap too 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Titan said:

Just picked this up from a guy in the same club as me here in Melbourne. He also threw in about 20k of various grains. This thing is never used still has wrapping on the false bottom. $50, winner winner.

https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/mash-tun-56-litre

Hey guys I have a question regarding the above, having never used one before. Since it has a false bottom do i still need a bag? I"m assuming not, although it would aid in removing the grains after the mash.  Anyone using one?

10 hours ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Cleaned up well and made an immediate impact on wort clarity and got a stronger boil since I didn't have extra crud on element. 

So you were doing BIAB in the urn prior to this? Just curious as I switched from BIAB to 2V a while back and find it better. 

Cheers, 

John

Its leaking from the silicon o-ring only when turning on/off the ball valve, everything else is ok, I do like the white flat silicon o-rings they seem to have a wider surface area then the orange o-rings, if I replace them on the ball valve it should stop the movement as like the element and thermal probe have no play, I'll finish taping up the element too 😄

Tristan

I've been quietly umming and ahhing about getting a decent pH meter for the last few months. Today I saw a decent hardly used one posted for sale for about half the original price on another forum I'm on so I decided to go ahead and get it since other things I want I'll wait until we've settled in to get. It's more of a curiosity thing for me, just to see if the mash pH is at or close to what Beersmith predicts each batch. I assume it is since the beers are all fine but will be good to confirm.

I'll use it next brew day whenever I do it, should be able to get one in before the end of the year. 

• Like 2

PH is one part of brewing im very sceptical on. I do think it makes a difference to efficiency of the mash but to overall taste I dont think it makes a discernable difference. The beers i make with rain water need no adjustment as the rain water is about 5.6 to start with. But my tap water is in the mid 7s and in the past i have added acid malt to get it around 5.6. Ran out of acid malt and it didn't get below 5.8 and other than being 2 points or so of gravity less i couldn't taste any difference to the end beer. 

Maybe in a commercial setting where 2 points of gravity might be millions of dollars a year but i consider my purchase of a ph meter a bit of a waste of money. Should have spent it on another fridge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The pH of the water itself doesn't make much difference anyway. It's the alkalinity/carbonate content that has the effect on the pH of the mash. Playing around with water profiles and mashing on Beersmith has led me to creating profiles with very little to no carbonate content for most of my beers, as when it goes higher it pushes the mash pH out of the desired range. I like it around the 5.3-5.4 mark. 

I'll have to find the references I've read in the past about it, but apparently keeping it in range has positive effects all through the process from mashing, boiling/hot break formation and separation to fermentation. 

• Like 1

I've been trying to get away from work early by going in early so I can kick off pre-christmas brews on me upgraded kettle.  my Kegarator still sits in its box waiting for my love.  Sure hell isnt working 8+ hours a day...

Still have me mosaic ale in the fridge cold crashing.

Tristan

Edited by tja1980