Coopers Community

Suggestions for pimping a dark ale can?

Silmaril

Hi all,

Brew 1 is in bottles. Brew 2 is a Coopers Pale Ale coming along in FV2. Brew 3 is what I'd like some ideas about.

I'd like to do a dark ale. I have the Coopers Dark Ale can. But wondering about making it better with some strategic additions. I have a can of dark malt extract, boxes of BE3 and Light Dry Malt, and am visiting the LHBS tomorrow.

Appreciate any thoughts!

24 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Gold chains, fur coat and two gold teeth.

sorry not a fan of the dark ale

I love them! Love the Coopers Best Extra Stout too.

And now my (2nd) local pub has a craft brew Dark Lager, English Brown Ale, and Irish Stout on tap! ???

23 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I am not a fan of this kit either; too bitter. Probably the best thing to do with it is add a large amount of Crystal 60L and steep some Willamette hops for 20 minutes in water just off the boil.

Cheers,

Christina.

I think that’s a great idea Christina. 

Captain

I suppose it depends on what you're after from it, what sort of flavors you want to accentuate. That will determine what you add to the kit to pimp it a bit. I have an all grain brown/dark ale on tap in the kitchen at the moment, will be the last of the year for me as it's getting into the warmer weather now but it is a nice brew. I'll definitely do another couple of them next winter.

3 hours ago, AnthonyD11 said:

Have you thought about trying a toucan stout? Just need to add a stout can with the dark ale and you are already there.

Turns out to be a pretty decent brew.

As above, but apparently that recipe calls for 1kg of dextrose to go with those 2 cans. (Just from word of mouth from around these forums)...

8 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

As above, but apparently that recipe calls for 1kg of dextrose to go with those 2 cans. (Just from word of mouth from around these forums)...

It does but that is mainly to bump up the ABV. If you leave that out you still get a nice brew that isnt upwards of 7% ABV.

14 hours ago, AnthonyD11 said:

Have you thought about trying a toucan stout? Just need to add a stout can with the dark ale and you are already there.

Turns out to be a pretty decent brew.

Cool. Might give that a go after the Old Brown Dog attempt.

Archived