Coopers Community

Magnum Hops & It's Super Underwhelmingness

Beerlust

I saw a recent press release from the Streets ice-cream company.

It read something along the lines of...

"We understand there is a hop used in brewing that also has the name "Magnum". We wish to assure our customers that this hop is in no way used in the production of our ice-cream lines, & the naming of this ice-cream line is meant to signify a premium level of ice-cream, not a bland, boring, listless, almost non-existent flavour as is well known to be associated with the brewing hop with the same name."

Thank you Streets. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, James Lao said:

Using it for the first time in a Citra Pale Ale that’s in the FV now.

Anyway, if hops are used for bittering is there meant to be any flavour left ( that’s a serious question BTW)?

Cheers

James

Absolutely they can,  depends on variety used and how you use it though. 

I like using Brooklyn / Moutere in a session beer and even with just a single addition at 40 mins to 35 ibu it still has hop presence 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James Lao said:

Using it for the first time in a Citra Pale Ale that’s in the FV now.

Anyway, if hops are used for bittering is there meant to be any flavour left ( that’s a serious question BTW)?

Cheers

James

I have previously used pacifica for bittering and I really enjoyed the herbal peppery properties it holds in the glass. 

Style dependant though. 

Captain

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/10/2018 at 11:32 AM, Beerlust said:

Haha. Glad I could return the favour. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

WOW.

Thanks for linking me in here Lusty. 

What an amazing thread.

I am going to have to try some Magnum now after all of that !?!

Cheers Brew Coach!

BB

• Haha 1

I've also got to thanks Lusty for the Link. In my brewing comeback I have bittered my brews with Amarillo then Cascade.  All the time I was thinking "I didn't do Single Hop brews in the past did I". Then along comes Lusty to remind me of my former go to bittering hop. 

Lusty I am forever Grateful. Please keep a close eye on my recipes and let me know if I'm forgetting something else.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/26/2018 at 4:52 PM, Beerlust said:

Recently the Sierra Nevada brewery let slip to consumers that a batch of their Torpedo IPA had inadvertently been brewed & bottled minus the Magnum hop additions. It was only discovered when a stocktake of the brewery was performed & a large unused quantity of Magnum was found in a back storage area.

Ironically the head tasters at the brewery never picked up on the missing Magnum when sampling the batch, & no customer complaints have been received.

Cheers,

Lusty.

That is gold, pure gold.   

• Haha 1

Hiya Scottie.

3 hours ago, Scottie said:

I've also got to thanks Lusty for the Link. In my brewing comeback I have bittered my brews with Amarillo then Cascade.  All the time I was thinking "I didn't do Single Hop brews in the past did I". Then along comes Lusty to remind me of my former go to bittering hop. 

I'm guessing you'll be retiring again soon after you taste that Magnum brew. 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 3

• 4 months later...
15 hours ago, Panther Branch Brewing said:

...I don't think I've ever seen it recommended for  flavor or aroma.

Only by idiots.

...It's cheap...

So it should be. It is only capable of contributing anything when used 1 of 3 ways.

...a little goes a LONG way when bittering.

There are a plethora of high alpha hops that can be used the same way, but have other notable characteristics that can be used in other aspects of hopping beer.

Tallahassee 'Double Tap'. Make that a triple.

Lusty.

And yet people enjoy the beers they brew with it. Personally I've done both methods with APA beers, which are about the only beers I use it in other than stouts or porters which I don't want hop flavour in anyway. I couldn't tell any difference because the late hopping dominates anyway. I did notice a difference in pilsners using it for bittering instead of Saaz like I usually do.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

4 hours ago, Hairy said:

Disclaimer: Lusty has stated he has never used it.

That is absolutely true. If you've ever bothered to read the descriptors on the hop, why the heck would you?? 😕

I have however tasted quite a few beers with Magnum used in it.

It's been a while Hairy, I'm guessing you're due to do another batch of that all Magnum beer of yours again soon? 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

That is absolutely true. If you've ever bothered to read the descriptors on the hop, why the heck would you?? 😕

I have however tasted quite a few beers with Magnum used in it.

It's been a while Hairy, I'm guessing you're due to do another batch of that all Magnum beer of yours again soon? 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

I love the fact that your magnum is my lager!

Think you are missing out though. Ha ha ha ha 

On 6/7/2020 at 9:13 PM, Panther Branch Brewing said:

Most frequently recommended use for Magnum seems to be bittering. I don't think I've ever seen it recommended for  flavor or aroma.

It's cheap and a little goes a LONG way when bittering.

Look what you have gone an done Panther Branch, ya mums upset. (As Eric Bana in Chopper would say) 

This topic was dead and buried for 5 months 

ha ha ha

• Haha 1