Coopers Community

#$%! Silverfish!

ChristinaS1

Just finished bottling my latest brew, a tasty drop judging by the leftovers. While cleaning up I found a dead silverfish in my Vinator bottle washer.  No doubt it was there the whole time I was sanitizing my bottles with Starsan. Guess now we will find out how well Starsan works. Will post back after it carbonates with an update.

All I can say is, "Yuck!" I sure hope my batch is not ruined.

Cheers,

Christina. 

Hopefully it wasn't there the whole time. It might have been washed out of one of your last bottles. Or not. I'd be saying #$%! SILVERFISH! too. I reckon the Starsan should be able to do the job though. Good luck with the beer.

A few years ago, a mate of mine with questionable sanitation processes bottled all of his beer and found a cockroach in the trub as he was cleaning out the fermenter. A silverfish in the vinator is fine compared to that!

Was his brew alright in the end @Popo??

Hi @ChristinaS1 , fingers crossed for your batch, I'm interested to see how it goes.

I have not had anything like that happen yet. But we have 3 cats at our place and sooner or later fur is going to get in my brew gear somehow. I wonder if I'd have a problem or not. Their fur gets everywhere.... I'm only using my LHBS phosphoric acid based sanitiser ATM. Its almost run out now after 12 brews ($7) but will be buying Starsan next for sure ?

Good luck and cheers,

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Silverfish Ale, yes indeed! Well just cracked the first one of these today and am happy to report that it tastes as it should.  No hint of taint. Hats off to Starsan!

I am so pleased and relieved. Thanks for all the encouragement. 

Cheers,

Christina.

8 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Silverfish Ale, yes indeed! Well just cracked the first one of these today and am happy to report that it tastes as it should.  No hint of taint. Hats off to Starsan!

I am so pleased and relieved. Thanks for all the encouragement. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Phew!   ?

Archived