Coopers Community

Cool recipes for an Australian Pale Ale Can in a Craft Fermenter?

DonPolo

Cool about the sanitising. By the way, the brew is still looking pretty much the same; a few blips here and there but no vigorous krausen. Do some brews go this way or is it hopefully likely to accelerate at some point taking into account the layer of extract that was on the bottom to begin with?

They all behave differently. Some are vigorous and others appear less so but may well still be chugging along reasonably quickly. 

My pilsner currently in the fermenter is going as slow as a wet week at the moment. It's only dropped to about 1.037 after 5 days in the fermenter, although it did take a couple of days to get going. I've bumped it from 10 up to 12 to try to get it going quicker.

DonP it sounds like your brew is going along nicely.  Another thing to check progress is to take specific gravity measurements with your hydrometer.  However, I resist doing that too often with craft sized batches due to wasting too much beer.  If it still has froth on top give it another 3 or 4 days then do a test.

The colour and look of your krausen could be due to the can extract being at the bottom of the fermenter early on. Combined with the hop matter and the yeast being at the bottom too you might have had some concentrated fermentation going on deep in the fermenter.  This could have stirred up the hops and brought some to the surface on the fermentation bubbles.  Again, shouldn't be a worry in the end.  Most of the craft sized can instructions say to tip the can in and no need to stir.  Me, I always vigorously stir.

I am still amazed by the yeast activity.  The little creatures swim around like sea monkeys. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well so far so good. The FG measurement tasted quite reasonable. Dry hopped with some Galaxy for a few days after coming back from being away for a couple of weeks. Bottled primed with raw sugar with one of those measuring dohickeys. Don't know if there are any issues around raw sugar rather than white sugar but didn't have white sugar on hand and couldn't be arsed buying some carbonation drops.

The spreadsheet I used had it bang on for the specifications for an American IPA.

So here was the final recipe:

1 x 1.7kg Australian Pale Ale

200g Carapils steeped for 30 minutes in 70C water.

Strained then boiled for 10 minutes with 15g of both Centennial and Cascade at 3mins to flame out. Cooled and strained into FV.

150g Raw Sugar

Filled to 11 litres

Kit yeast (7g) rehydrated

In FV for approx 2.2 weeks then three days 10g Galaxy dry hop.

Estimated ABV 6.1% bottled

IBU    46.0
EBC    15.2

Update. I couldn't wait any longer and had to try it. Put a small bottle into the fridge for two days. Well, I'm very pleasantly surprised; good lingering head, hoppy and just the right about of bittering for this style of beer. Quite pleased with myself actually! Even the daughter liked it.

Now to see how a more conventional 'normal' recipe goes with half a can in my fermenter with half a kilo of LDM plus hop additions.

Archived