Coopers Community

Shout out to Ben10 & his award-winning Enigma/Galaxy Kölsch recipe

joolbag

@Ben 10, your Enigma and Galaxy beer fermented with a Kölsch yeast is a cracker.  I opened this a couple of weeks ago and was blown away with the balance of your beer.  The malt, hops or yeast-derived flavours do not dominate; they are all in perfect harmony.  Enigma is an interesting hop indeed.  It adds a new element to the beer that I have not tasted before in a hop, and it complements Galaxy like two peas in a pod.  Brewers, I recommend brewing this beer recipe that Ben10 crafted, it is a spectacular.

I entered a bottle of this batch into the NSW State Homebrewing competition.  After some help on this forum, I decided to enter it under Blonde Ale.  Well, the judges liked it too and agreed on the style and it got third place in the category!  The results came out last night and I saw it on the way to work and I can’t wipe the smile off my face ?

@Ben 10, this is for you ???.  You are so generous on this forum and regularly share your recipes, brewing experiences and help plenty of the members along with their brewing.  Thanks mate, you are a champion.

PS @headmaster congrats for getting a podium position in the NSW state brewing competition too!

Recipe: kolsch III 343

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Kölsch

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l  

Estimated OG: 1.054 SG

Estimated Color: 8.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 36.7 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU        

3.50 g                Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)        Water Agent   1        -            

3.50 g                Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   2        -            

1.50 g                Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins)      Water Agent   3        -            

3.00 kg               Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain         4        57.1 %        

2.00 kg               Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)   Grain         5        38.1 %       

0.25 kg               Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)         Grain         6        4.8 %        

10.00 g               Super Pride [13.90 %] - First Wort 60.0  Hop           7        15.2 IBUs    

30.00 g               Enigma [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 Hop           8        14.3 IBUs    

15.00 g               Galaxy [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 Hop           9        7.2 IBUs     

1.0 pkg               German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 m Yeast         10       -            

30.00 g               Enigma [15.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days      Hop           11       0.0 IBUs     

15.00 g               Galaxy [15.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days      Hop           12       0.0 IBUs     

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben10sEnigmaGalaxyKolsch.png

Yes, well done Ben10 and Joolbag. 

I once listened to a Brew Basic Radio episode where they compared (blind taste test) the same beer fermented with a number of different yeasts. I don't remember all of them, but one was Kolsch and another was US-05. The panel preferred the one made with the Kolsch yeast and found that it accentuated the hops better than the much touted US-05.  They were quite surprised to discover this.

Cheers,

Christina.

I am very much liking the WLP029 Kölsch yeast. Have only used it once but it will get regular rotation in my brewery. Have harvested 100bn cells, Kelsey method.

i can tell you don’t use K-97 for a Kölsch! Huge pear esters in the FV and cats into the glass. That was fermenting at 16C too. I don't think I'll use K-97 again for the stores of beer that I usually drink. My Kölsch got slammed in the state comp and came dead last because while it is nice to drink, a Kölsch it is NOT!

I fermented at 16C then ⬆️ to 18C after 4 days. Guy AT LHBS suggested it needs longer at 16C or throws those pear esters. Aroma was intense in the fermentation fridge and on the tongue when sampling!

And he also said lagering makes a big difference. Bottle conditioned so could chuck a couple of bottles in a fridge for two weeks and do a side-by-side test

G'day guys, just read this thread for the fist time, thanks for the mentions, and well done Jools and to Ben for the inspirational recipe. Better go get myself some Enigma! Have never used it before, but this match sounds great. 

I too have recently run k97, bought it with a big online order as it was on special for $2, and ended up running it in a Belgian Pale Ale. 

Not supposed to be used for those either, supposedly more suited to belgian wheats possibly but a bit confusing if you google what styles it is intended for. 

It did certainly throw the pear and a bit of apple, which do suit the Belgian pale. 

Will be tasting it soon as only just carbonated, didn't taste incredible while bottling but possibly with a bit of time and lagering it may balance out as discussed.  

Archived