Coopers Community

Shark Attack XPA ROTM

Marlymarl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
37 minutes ago, PaulW31 said:

Same hops as in Balter XPA but in lower quantities. My guess is this was something of a Balters clone.

I think the Balter XPA is a massively overrated beer. I have no idea how it keeps on get number 1 beer in Australia......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I get the same result.  Upping the LDM to 1kg does give an ABV of 5.6%.  Maybe this is where the error is.

Yep. All good anyway, I am keen to do another Shark Attack recipe soon as I got 50g packs of all the hops and the recipe only uses 25g of each so I may try it the second time with 1kg of DME and see what I prefer.

Cheers.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 7:51 PM, Beer Baron said:

I think the Balter XPA is a massively overrated beer. I have no idea how it keeps on get number 1 beer in Australia......

Craft beer drinkers who aren't afraid to pay $64 for 16 cans like it, and voted for it multiple times. I think it's pretty nice, but prefer to make my own.

19 minutes ago, PaulW31 said:

Craft beer drinkers who aren't afraid to pay $64 for 16 cans like it, and voted for it multiple times. I think it's pretty nice, but prefer to make my own.

I think it’s so popular because it is promoted very well with the likes of Fanning, Parkinson and co

I’ve got a Shark Attack in the fermenter at the moment - dry hopped it yesterday. If it turns out anything like the Balter XPA I’ll be very happy. 

Only problem I find with the Balter is it’s a bit too fizzy for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Sampled the Shark Attack last night after 2 weeks in the bottle. It’s a nice beer - not very hoppy in taste or aroma - the aroma it has is very orangey - it’s not unpleasant at all - but no way I would call this an XPA - more like a summer ale with very little bitterness I reckon - very easy drinking.

Oh and I tripled the recipe qty of hops in the dry hop and still don’t find it particularly hoppy. But it’s a nice beer so I’m happy.

1F88F30C-19FE-426F-B4A9-892BDA746C61.jpeg

Edited by Gazzala
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Gazzala said:

Sampled the Shark Attack last night after 2 weeks in the bottle. It’s a nice beer - not very hoppy in taste or aroma

I didn't think it really would be with 50g of hops in it, at 150g it should have a bit though. 

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote to Coopers about the incorrect ABV on this recipe and after some calculations they agreed it was incorrect. 

Looks like they have now fixed it by reducing the total volume to 20L.

Coopers customer service/support was brilliant to talk to as always 🙂

• Like 2

On 7/26/2019 at 9:33 PM, Gazzala said:

Nice one Mitch. I actually really like this brewed as per the original recipe - but do find it a bit light in flavour so making it to 20l could make it just right.

Agreed. I still enjoyed it (the keg literally just ran out 😞) but for an "XPA" it was certainly a little light both on Hop flavour and ABV.

I will definitely re-brew it at 20L and see the difference.

Mitch.

• Like 1