Coopers Community

Shark Attack XPA ROTM

Marlymarl

Copied straight from the recipe page so don't know how it will look once it is posted.

Cheers Shamus

PS As you're in the US, the sales and free delivery will probably not apply. But the American Coopers site might have occasional sales, etc.  I don't know that.

Shark Attack XPA

SHARK ATTACK XPA

Look out! This big guy’s got teeth with plenty of grunt behind that pale gold complexion. Swimming up through a tropical storm of floral and stone fruit aromatics, the flavours of passionfruit, citrus and fresh bread leave a balanced finish in their wake. And with it, plenty of bite from the combination of Centennial, Citra and Amarillo hops. It’s a snappy XPA – attracting those who are circling around for a fully-hopped, easy-to-drink beer.
5.6%
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME
COLOUR (EBC)
BITTERNESS (IBU)
Beer Style
Ale, Pale Ale
Flavour Profile
Hoppy, Citrus, Fruity, Bitter-finish, Crisp
Alcohol Content
Colour (EBC)
Bitterness (IBU)
Volume
23L
Difficulty
Intermediate

FLAVOUR PROFILE

HOPPY

CITRUS

FRUITY
BITTER-FINISH

CRISP

RECIPE CONTAINS:

• 1 × Mexican Cerveza (1.7kg)
  • 1 × Coopers Brew Enhancer 3 (1kg)
  • 1 × Coopers Light Dry Malt (500g)
  • 1 × Coopers Carbonation Drops (250g)

YOU SUPPLY:

• 1 × 25g Centennial Hop Pellets
  • 1 × 25g Citra Hop Pellets
  • 1 × 25g Amarilo Hop Pellets
  • 1 × 11.5g Safale US-05 Dry Yeast
 ADD RECIPE TO CART 

OR ADD INDIVIDUALLY

Mexican Cerveza (1.7kg)
1 × Mexican Cerveza (1.7kg)
$16.00 $14.40 
ADD TO CART
Coopers Brew Enhancer 3 (1kg)
1 × Coopers Brew Enhancer 3 (1kg)
$9.00 $8.10 
ADD TO CART
Coopers Light Dry Malt (500g)
1 × Coopers Light Dry Malt (500g)
$8.00 $7.20 
ADD TO CART
Coopers Carbonation Drops (250g)
1 × Coopers Carbonation Drops (250g)
$4.00 $3.60 
ADD TO CART
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 x 1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cerveza
  • 1 x 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 3
  • 1 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
  • 1 x 25g Centennial Hop Pellets
  • 1 x 25g Citra Hop Pellets
  • 1 x 25g Amarilo Hop Pellets
  • 1 x 11.5g Safale US-05 Dry Yeast
  • 1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops
1. MIX
  • In a large pot, bring 500g of Light Dry Malt to the boil with 5 litres of water.
  • Add half of the Centennial hops and boil for 15mins.
  • Remove from the heat, stir in half of the Citra and Half of the Amarillo hops and let sit for 10mins.
  • Set the pot in a cold/ice water bath to cool then strain into a Fermenting Vessel (FV).
  • Add the Mexican Cerveza and Brew Enhancer 3 then stir to dissolve (don’t be concerned if some lumps persist as they will dissolve over the course of several hours).
  • Top up with cool water to the 20 litre mark and stir vigorously.
  • Check the temperature and top up to the 23 litre mark with warm or cold water (refrigerated if necessary) to get as close as possible to 18C.
  • Sprinkle the US-05 sachet over the brew then fit the lid.
2. BREW
  • Place the FV in a location out of direct sunlight and try to ferment between 18C to 20C.
  • Fermentation should take about 12 days.
  • On day 8, add the remaining Citra and Amarillo hops (we recommend wrapping them in a mesh cleaning cloth, pulled straight from the wrapper).
  • On day 11 check the specific gravity (SG).
  • Check the SG again the following day and so on.
3. BOTTLE
  • The brew is ready once the SG has stabilised over 2 days, expect about 1008 to 1012.
  • Gently fill clean PET bottles to about 3cm from the top.
  • Add 2 carbonation drops per bottle and secure the caps.
  • Store the bottles upright in a location out of direct sunlight at or above 18C.

Need bottles?

Coopers DIY Beer PET Beer Bottles and Caps (15 x 740ml)
1 × COOPERS DIY BEER PET BEER BOTTLES AND CAPS (15 X 740ML)
$15.95 $14.36 
ADD TO CART
4. ENJOY
  • After at least two weeks, check for sufficient carbonation by squeezing the PET bottles.
  • A hop driven beer such as this is often at its best when young.
  • When ready to drink, chill the bottles upright.
  • The chilled beer may be poured into clean glassware, leaving the sediment behind.
  • Expect the alcohol content to be approximately 5.6% ABV.
print PRINT RECIPE
logocclub.png
JOIN US FOR EXCLUSIVE YEAR-ROUND DISCOUNTS, FREE SHIPPING OFFERS, FIRST ACCESS TO RECIPE RELEASES AND INVITATIONS TO COOPERS EVENTS. JOIN NOW TO GET 10% OFF ALL ONLINE ORDERS.

CONTACT US

Brewing Support 1300 654 455 customerservice@coopers.com.au

Online Store Support 1300 304 938 store@coopers.com.au

MasterCard Visa Pin Payments
Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 1

I don't see this recipe in the recipe section either, but coincidence my latest brew, a partial mash using the Mexican Cervesa kit as a base, has this very hop combo.  I have been playing around with this hop combo for some time; its great. Here is my recipe:

1.7kg Mexican Cervesa kit
1.39kg Briess Golden Light LME
350gm Vienna 
200gm Caravienna
300gm malted wheat 
30gm Acidulated malt
10gm Centennial boiled X 10 minutes
5gm Centennial boild x 5 minutes 
5gm Amarillo boiled x 5 minutes
5gm Amarillo hop stand x 20 minutes
10gm Citra hop stand
5gm Cents hop stand
1/4 tsp Irish Moss
22L water
14gm ale/lager yeast Rehydrated. Fridge set at 21C. Temp reduced to 18C at bedtime.

5gm Centennial DH on Day 8
10gm Amarillo DH
10gm Cirta DH

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 4

Looked at this recipe and noticed that only have of the 25g Centennial hops are used (step 2). At step 11 the recipe says to add the remaining Citra and Amarilo hops but does not mention the Centennial hops. I emailed Coopers to confirm if this is the case but did not get a reply. Anybody out there know for sure if the left over Centennial hops are discarded?

Rgs

fhen

Makes sense to me and this would not be the first recipe to contain error. Plus I have never read a recipe that discarded hops.... I find it annoying that I emailed and phoned Coopers on this matter and never got a reply.  Thanks for you input.

Rgs

fhen

I read somewhere else on the forum that somebody had contacted Coopers and you are right OVB, the leftover Centennial is meant to be in the dry hop.  This was supposed to have been fixed in the recipe.

The 2018 Vintage recipe had a similar error and it was fixed within a day or two.

I have noticed that some recipes do not use the full amount of hops.  In those cases there is usually a note in the recipe that the remaining hops should be stored in the fridge for a future brew.

a Coopers person once told me to look at the on line version of recipes instead of printed versions as the online will be up to date. In this instance the online version and the print version are both the same. I have just checked both before starting this thread. So I think Coopers just forgot the word "Centennial" at item no. 11 and have not corrected the online version yet (if ever).  I would gladly proof read for them for a discount on purchases!

fhen

34 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I wonder why they do that, seems a bit odd to include hops in a recipe pack or whatever if they aren't intended to be used in it.

Standard pack size is more economical from a production point of view.  Happens with other recipe ingredients (eg. use half of a 1.5kg Dark Malt Extract can or use 300g of a 1kg Dextrose pack). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sad that we still can not get a definitive answer from Coopers. From now on I will pass up any recipes with ambiguous directions. For this ROTM I am going with the majority and adding the Centennial hops with the Citra and Amarilo. 

Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.

fhen

• Like 1

Final update :

Coopers contacted me today (Oct 2). Delay due to Public hol Friday in Vic and public hol Monday in S.A.

Answer is "yes, add the remaining Centennial hops with the Citra and Amarilo." I also asked about adding can yeast with Safale US-05 and was told just use the Safale US-05.

So now we all know!

rgs to all who contributed 

fhen

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:08 PM, HellfishSimo said:

Has anyone got any feedback on how this recipe tastes? Just put mine down thisafternoon and it smells FANTASTIC. 

I have also got one of these down been in the FV about a week, anyone got any feedback ??  tried a Philter XPA the other day, if it tastes anything like that should be delicious.