Coopers Community

Sparkling Wine

Titan

Hey guys, just sitting here enjoying a nice sparkling shiraz and it got me thinking. Due to the premium pricing of sparkling wine, both white and especially red i was thinking of dropping 19l non sparkling into a keg and serving from the tap. Would be a winner with the ladies in the summer. Would i get the same carbonation effect and what should i set serving pressure at?

? hmmm did i just say i was going to give up a valuable beer tap for wine?

On 9/17/2018 at 7:33 PM, Titan said:

Due to the premium pricing of sparkling wine, both white and especially red i was thinking of dropping 19l non sparkling into a keg and serving from the tap. Would be a winner with the ladies in the summer. Would i get the same carbonation effect and what should i set serving pressure at?

This would be a first (in my world) serving sparkling wine from a keg, but sure it could be done. Saison's resemeble the same carbonation levels of sparkling wines so that is a level I would be aiming around if doing something like this.

On 9/17/2018 at 9:56 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Don't wines require different taps than beer due to the difference in pH or something? I'm sure I read somewhere that wine can ruin beer taps. Also read the same about running starsan through them which is one reason I don't do it.

I'm not sure on the wine thing through beer taps scenario, but I run a weak solution of StarSan (as a final rinse) through my beer lines/taps prior to filling & attaching a new keg & have had no issues resulting in damaging my pouring taps. Not to say metal fitting taps couldn't or wouldn't be affected.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 2 months later...

Forgot about this.  Talking to one of the local wine makers, he said a lot of the cheap sparkling wine is carbonated in line when it's bottled and some places in America do serve wine on tap just like beer.  He wasn't sure of the carbonation levels needed for kegs.

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2018 at 10:14 PM, James of Bayswater said:

I have found the answer !  Cheryl to the rescue...  One of the funniest videos I have seen in a long time.  I love this on so many levels...😂

...a glass of Chateau D'Cardboard please! 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived