Coopers Community

Not sure where your at but you can throw in something like this to boost up the alcohol content and importantly not dilute the wheatiness taste. 500gm should take it up to around the mark you are looking for in a 23L batch.

https://www.esbrewing.com.au/catalog/product/view/id/899/s/wheat-dried-malt-500g/category/72/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 6:35 PM, krab king said:

Has anyone made any adjustments to the hefe wheat at all ?  Ive just kegged my first batch it looks and tastes good but only 3.9% . I'd like to get it to around 5.5% while still keeping it tasting like a wheat beer. Any tips or thoughts would be great ?

G'day Lads

Am interested in your Hefe Wheat (Hefeweizen) Krab King- did you brew it out Coopers recipe standard or follow a recipe - am looking towards making one and certainly also would like to get to around 5.5 abv same as you...  there is the liquid wheat malt thing...  

but failing all else.... could always revert to a kilo of Dex (all grain brewers hopefully not listening) to push up the alc?

• Thanks 1

You could add a kilo of dextrose to it but not sure you would like what you get. Wheat beer yeasts can give off some crazy esters and I think the kilo of dextrose would water it down and make it cidery. Dextrose has a place in extract brewing but dont go over board.  You will find more depth to the beers with malt.

Norris

• Thanks 1

Kit Wheat beers are pretty simple. Wheat beer kit and then build it up to your desired OG with wheat malt (dry or liquid). If going you going over 5.5% then a little dextrose to get there will help. You might need to look at increasing the bitterness slightly then too.

Then it is all in the yeast. The Coopers Wheat kit sounds like it has a yeast similar to WB-06 which is a nice yeast. You could also look at some of the liquid Hefeweizen yeasts too. You can play around with the fermentation temps to get different flavours but I prefer not to go too high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/24/2018 at 9:20 PM, Hairy said:

Kit Wheat beers are pretty simple. Wheat beer kit and then build it up to your desired OG with wheat malt (dry or liquid). If going you going over 5.5% then a little dextrose to get there will help. You might need to look at increasing the bitterness slightly then too.

Then it is all in the yeast. The Coopers Wheat kit sounds like it has a yeast similar to WB-06 which is a nice yeast. You could also look at some of the liquid Hefeweizen yeasts too. You can play around with the fermentation temps to get different flavours but I prefer not to go too high.

Standard Coopers Preacher's Ale Hefe Wheat Kit... add 1kg Wheat Malt dry or liquid... maybe 500g or kilo of dex... extra hops..

add  Kit yeast - ferment at 20-22 degC ? Bingo? 

Brewed plenty of the others but no wheat at this stage...  be interested to read what hefe wheat kit brewers' experience is?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Standard Coopers Preacher's Ale Hefe Wheat Kit... add 1kg Wheat Malt dry or liquid... maybe 500g or kilo of dex... extra hops..

add  Kit yeast - ferment at 20-22 degC ? Bingo? 

Brewed plenty of the others but no wheat at this stage...  be interested to read what hefe wheat kit brewers' experience is?

I would go with:

Wheat Beer kit
1.5kg Dry wheat malt (or convert to the relevant liquid amount)
300g Dextrose
Kit yeast (perhaps look at getting some additional yeast like WB06 at this volume and OG)
23 litres

If making 20 litres, just use 1kg dry wheat malt and 300g dextrose.

Fermentation temp looks fine. No need for extra hops unless you really want to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Hairy.

That looks good.  Slim down on the Dex, boost the wheat malt and we're off and racing.

Glad to hear Temp is all good.  Not got cooling capacity and the winter is wearing off.

Might do that as a benchmark and then based on the result determine whether to bring more hoppage in after that.

Cheers good stuff.

• Like 1

G'day Wheat Beer Brewers... I managed to get myself some wheat malt... not real cheap hey.... not sure when I will get to put the brew down... but given the cost of extra malt... extra hops... would one be better off just doing a two-can hefe-wheat Toucan instead?

i.e. does two 1.7kg of Coopers Hefe Wheat do a better job in 23L than only ONE can plus 1.5kg of dry malt and 300g of dex?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I did get the WB06 yeast... so that will be interesting. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It'd probably end up too bitter if you used two kits. Remember you'd be doubling the bitterness, and as far as I know wheat beers aren't exactly high in bitterness.

+1.  Weizens are usually very light in bitterness. Most are well under 20 IBU. One can will give you ~18IBU in a 23L Batch. Two will give you ~36 IBU. @ 36 IBU the bitterness will likely overpower the esters and phenols that wheat beers are known for. I'd stick to one can plus the additions from that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Lads - sounds eminently sensible.   Very much appreciated. 

Am geared up to do the One-Can version... have done plenty basic Coopers OS with plenty variations... but nivver dunna Wheatie so am looking forward to it... and it is great to get some good advice.

The two-can question was really a cost-benefit question - your collective feedback would suggest it might be best avoided.

Just enjoying an Aldi supplied Paulaner Oktoberfest Helles at 6%... nice drop.   Hopefully my current Lager undergoing secondary ferment will go somewhere to approximate that ?

On 9/15/2018 at 6:35 PM, krab king said:

Has anyone made any adjustments to the hefe wheat at all ?  Ive just kegged my first batch it looks and tastes good but only 3.9% . I'd like to get it to around 5.5% while still keeping it tasting like a wheat beer. Any tips or thoughts would be great ?

Hey Krab King,...  I just got some dried wheat malt at a brew shop I was travelling past this past week - seems like the stuff is readily available... there is also an interesting thread on Thomas Coopers Wheat Can Yeast which may be of interest...  seems like the general thought is including more wheat malt for body and flavour with maybe a bit of dex if you want to push the Alc up further... 

• Thanks 1

Question for the Wheaty Brewers...

I read in the Coopers suggested Hefeweizen recipe that warmer temp might drive more of the typical aromas... 

2. BREW  Try to ferment at 18C-24C (a higher ferment temperature will produce more of the typical wheat beer aromas).

Had been planning on the 20-22deg C... but given the above... should I go for 24 if I can get up there?

Am a believer in Franziskaner (that Dan seems to be no longer stocking which is a national disgrace) type flavour-aroma combo.

52 minutes ago, krab king said:

Definitely sounds like what I'm after. I shall just need better control of my temperature 

First thing I think KK that temp control (and hygiene) is like the base requirement for any good brewing...  you need it for primary vat ferment... you need it in your bottle secondary ferment.  It is really important.  If in cold climes - as we all usually start brewing with ale yeasts (easier ticket to success) - and if you are not in Darwin or Cairns requiring cooling... and down South with cold floor temps... you need to warm solution temp up and think best to get to 20+ to begin with... for vat and bottles.

Then if you want to have a more full bodied real-beer via HB which is way better than the carp* commercial thin watery stuff - you need to 'beef up' the wort...

So in our can world - move off sugar onto dex to begin with... then change from dex to malts...  I think Hairy's suggestion is good re the Wheat:

Wheat Beer kit 1.5kg Dry wheat malt 300g Dextrose - or a variation thereof... depending on cost - maybe Kit+1kg dry wheat malt + 1kg Dex or sub the Dex with a Coopers Brew Enhancer product...  but basically all the old hands suggest Dex will get you alc but no flavour and no body (but it is better than cane sugar though).

Anyway - it is a journey - and you will be surprised how quickly you can improve your product!

• 1 year later...

Afternoon Gents,

I made a pretty good job of the standard Cooper's Hefe Wheat last year, no deviation from the recommended instructions. It was good but I want it a little stronger ;)

So today (May22nd2020) I decided to do it again but like this:

Cooper's Hefe Wheat can.

1kg Light spraymalt.

700g Dextrose (yeah I know but hey we'll see;))

Supplied yeast + Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat yeast. Sprinkled together at 24c

OG 1.056 :))

I'll leave it for week in the primary.

Then I'm transferring to 2ndary.

after 2nd week I'll add 50g Hallertau hops with 2 oranges zest and a bunch of crushed coriander seed in a muslin bag and leave in for 5 days.

Then transferring to bottles for a 2 week wait before getting royally pissed on 6% wheat in the sunshine hopefully!!!

Will update accordingly :)

Cheers!

PS I'm going to pitch a Nut Brown ale on the Wheat yeast cake :) Should be fun!

• Like 2

On 10/13/2018 at 10:10 AM, Bearded Burbler said:

Question for the Wheaty Brewers...

I read in the Coopers suggested Hefeweizen recipe that warmer temp might drive more of the typical aromas... 

2. BREW  Try to ferment at 18C-24C (a higher ferment temperature will produce more of the typical wheat beer aromas).

Had been planning on the 20-22deg C... but given the above... should I go for 24 if I can get up there?

Am a believer in Franziskaner (that Dan seems to be no longer stocking which is a national disgrace) type flavour-aroma combo.

Hey BB, I’ve brewed the Coopers Hefe kit a bit, Coops Hefe can, I use the liquid wheat malt, Bavarian M20 Wheat Yeast, brew at 18 degrees.

Leave to ferment for around 12-14 days then keg, comes out Mickey Mouse.

I know it’s only a K & K kit but It comes out bloody nice.

Ive doubled up and done a double batch in my 60L fermenter too, turns out great, my brother & his mates raved about it.

Just my view, cheers RD44🍺🍺

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 9:45 PM, Talltim said:

after 2nd week I'll add 50g Hallertau hops with 2 oranges zest and a bunch of crushed coriander seed in a muslin bag and leave in for 5 days.

I know citra hallertau and amarillo are good wheat hops, so what can I do with cascade fuggles galaxy golding & saaz for a wheat?

• 2 months later...
On 5/22/2020 at 9:45 PM, Talltim said:

Afternoon Gents,

I made a pretty good job of the standard Cooper's Hefe Wheat last year, no deviation from the recommended instructions. It was good but I want it a little stronger 😉

So today (May22nd2020) I decided to do it again but like this:

Cooper's Hefe Wheat can.

1kg Light spraymalt.

700g Dextrose (yeah I know but hey we'll see;))

Supplied yeast + Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat yeast. Sprinkled together at 24c

OG 1.056 :))

I'll leave it for week in the primary.

Then I'm transferring to 2ndary.

Then transferring to bottles for a 2 week wait before getting royally pissed on 6% wheat in the sunshine hopefully!!!

Will update accordingly 🙂

Cheers!

PS I'm going to pitch a Nut Brown ale on the Wheat yeast cake 🙂 Should be fun!

Hey Tall Tim

With the oranges did you include just the zest ? Or all of the oranges ?

And with the coriander seeds was it all short boiled to get sterile or just lob in ?

Cheers 

Clint

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

My recent Kveik Voss brew got me interested in doing a Hefeweizen.

I have never really been massive on wheats,  but my old man and brother love em.

Thinking of doing a partial with about 2kgs of wheat malt, Coopers preacher wheat can, a bit of DME to pump up the jam a bit..

Any recommendations on  hops, adjuncts and yeast?

Mainly interested in the best yeast to use TBH, I do like the Weihanstephaner gear by the way.

Cheers

James

• Like 1