Coopers Community

Toucan stout vs Coopers Commercial Stout

PaddyBrew2

4 hours ago, Potatoes said:

I used to do this, but apparently the Krausen stuck to the sides of the FV is best left there and not in your beer. Maybe it has little impact on taste. You can add extra water on bottling day, if you use a bottling bucket.

cheers, Dan

Thanks mate, luckily I have a krausen collar I can use and remove prior to topping up. Although I don't think I used it last time I brewed that recipe?? Will do it for sure next time round.

Cheers, Lee

20 hours ago, #granted+brew said:

Thanks mate, luckily I have a krausen collar I can use and remove prior to topping up. Although I don't think I used it last time I brewed that recipe?? Will do it for sure next time round.

Cheers, Lee

Yep, that’d do it. Probably what the krausen collar was designed for. 

You should be o.k with the collar on, it may depend on what yeast your using. I found the reactivated CCA yeast to be a beast in my first stout, compared to the two packs of kit yeast in my second attempt.

There is a couple photos of my last stout's krausen in the 'what's in your fermenter 2018' thread, late December so would be on the last page or so?

Cheers🍻

On 3/5/2019 at 8:14 PM, karlos_1984 said:

I rarely use the Krausen collar. When i put this toucan down and mix to 20 ltrs, if I add the krausen collar then surely it won't overflow...?

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/5277-toucan-dark-ale-stout/?page=9&tab=comments#comment-164428

I think you'll be OK. Read what I said about when I brewed an Imperial Russian.
There's a pic of the FV in that thread too.

I made a toucan stout up on the weekend. Used the Krausen collar and made it up to 21 ltrs with 500g of Dex, pitched CCA yeast.

Within 24 hrs the Krausen had formed and was quite high in the middle, didn't appear to lift the collar at all. However only after a couple days it has seemed to die off a fair bit. I was expecting it to keep going for a few days. I'm hoping the yeast hasn't stalled as this is a 2nd gen CCA yeast, harvested from session ale stubs and used in a basic Cooper's APA prior to being washed and saved in the fridge (2 X jars) for this stout.

Just given everyone else's experience with massive Krausen with these toucans i'm just concerned something's not quite right. My fridge is at a stable 21 degrees.

12 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

I made a toucan stout up on the weekend. Used the Krausen collar and made it up to 21 ltrs with 500g of Dex, pitched CCA yeast.

Within 24 hrs the Krausen had formed and was quite high in the middle, didn't appear to lift the collar at all. However only after a couple days it has seemed to die off a fair bit. I was expecting it to keep going for a few days. I'm hoping the yeast hasn't stalled as this is a 2nd gen CCA yeast, harvested from session ale stubs and used in a basic Cooper's APA prior to being washed and saved in the fridge (2 X jars) for this stout.

Just given everyone else's experience with massive Krausen with these toucans i'm just concerned something's not quite right. My fridge is at a stable 21 degrees.

How many stubbies did you harvest from? How big was the harvest after the APA? What was OG? Might be worth checking gravity & seeing if yo need to pitch more yeast.

I originally harvested from 8 stubbies. After using this in the APA, I added 1 ltr of pre-booked and cooled water to mix in with the trub and after washing, separating trub etc, ended up with 2 X 750ml jars of harvested yeast, which were stored in my fridge for a couple weeks. Both jars eventually had about 2cm of yeast settle in them. Prior to pitching I poured off most of the watery beer and left a small amount in each jar, swirled around to get the yeast off the bottom of the jar and pitched both jars and stirred into the FV rigorously. OG was 1058 

Just checked it, after 3 days in the FV (I brewed it Sunday) it's sitting at about 1030. It's slowly bubbling away in there. I put the light on it and the bubbles on top are slowly popping away. Can't remember what ianH spreadsheet had as the expected FG for this one. 

If it does the drop much by tomorrow should I throw some kit yeast at it?

Sounds like it’s chugging along ok. I’ve had different krausens with different yeasts, so as long as it keeps going down then all good. It’ll probably only get down to 1.015 or thereabouts anyway and getting to 1.030 after 3 days sounds like it’s doing ok.

I’m not certain though where you would hit the panic button and throw in more yeast though. @Otto Von Blotto is the king of yeast so might have some insight for you.

Sounds normal enough to me. It's dropped 28 points in 3 days, you should be at FG in another 3 days. I wouldn't be concerned about the krausen activity. The last stout I did was 1.0855 OG and the krausen barely grew above an inch the whole time. It reached its FG of 1.020 in 7 or 8 days. I'll have to check my notes as to which yeast I used but it was either 1056 or 1469. 

Archived