Coopers Community

Toucan stout vs Coopers Commercial Stout

PaddyBrew2

Ok, I’m gonna buck the popular trend and say I find the toucan stout recipe a pretty average stout.  I have it in the bottle about 6 months almost and had one Sunday and it’s still pretty malty to the point of overmalty and tastes nothing like the award winning stout we all know and love from the yellow labelled stubby

i had a look at the recipe section on the site and Coopers say the closest kit to their commercial is the stout extract can and the dark malt liquid extract and commercial yeast 

anyone tried this? Is it as close to the real deal

the toucan tastes like if you stuck a straw into one of your extract cans and started chugging 

3 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

****scanning OP for word ‘Clone’*******

****** end result : negative *******

Actually it says in the recipe that it's more like the limited release aged stout,  you mentioned the yellow label which is a rather different beer. 

Not surprising an extract stout is malty AF,  no hop presence is expected other than enough bitterness to balance any sweetness for unfermented sugars 

I made a kits and bits stout that was really good. Still have some and it's aging beautifully. A little bit richer than the Coopers BES, but in no way cloying. Could cope with a bit more bitterness, but I used the APA kit because it's got a bit of wheat in it like Coopers BES. 

Coopers APA kit

500g LDM 

500g JWM choc malt steeped

250g JWM roasted barley steeped

Made up to 11l, fermented with Coopers CCA slurry

Cheers, 

John

Kelsey had it right, OS Stout tin, OS Dark Ale tin & 1kg of dextrose.  I have made this a couple of times & I think it is pretty close to the Coopers Best Extra Stout in the stubbies with the yellow labels. 

Paddy, in your post you listed a stout tin & a dark malt extract tin, did you use these or the dark ale tin - they are different.

My 18/11/17 42.57 week old Toucan made with Coopers commercial yeast (2nd generation slurry) taste good to me.

I've got four Nov/Dec 2017 batches I'll leave until May 2019, could be better or maybe they'll succumb to the explosive geriatric stout syndrome Otto has mentioned.

I put a batch in Corona bottles, my black suns.

Howdy all,

I'll be going to do a toucan stout in around 3 weeks time. I'll use the kg of Dex and CCA yeast. 

Half of the batch will be primed with two carb drops for early drinking and the other half with one drop for extended ageing.

My question is how many weeks ageing before the two carb drop ones would be a reasonable brew.

I have two mates that have given me 200 coopers long neck bottles between them and I'll be giving them an assortment of my last 4 batches as payment. The stout will be the last one before they get their much awaited beer... I know they will drink them ASAP regardless of what I tell them so I'll wait until the stout is going to be not too bad.

Any past experience on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and cheers.

Lee.

I'd probably give them a month or two minimum before getting stuck into them. It really is a beer that improves the longer it's left though.

Even though kegs condition faster, I'm brewing my stout now for next winter so it'll still get about 8-9 months in the keg before I tap it. Should be bloody good by then.

20 hours ago, #granted+brew said:

Howdy all,

I'll be going to do a toucan stout in around 3 weeks time. I'll use the kg of Dex and CCA yeast. 

Half of the batch will be primed with two carb drops for early drinking and the other half with one drop for extended ageing.

My question is how many weeks ageing before the two carb drop ones would be a reasonable brew.

I have two mates that have given me 200 coopers long neck bottles between them and I'll be giving them an assortment of my last 4 batches as payment. The stout will be the last one before they get their much awaited beer... I know they will drink them ASAP regardless of what I tell them so I'll wait until the stout is going to be not too bad.

Any past experience on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and cheers.

Lee.

I had the first bottle last night of a batch I bottled three weeks ago.
It was quite drinkable. I quite enjoyed it. I was going to have another one tonight.

I use Dark Ale + Stout + 250grams Choc Malt. Dextrose sometimes of differing amounts.
I find anything up to six months I like it. After that a coffee flavour dominates and I hate coffee.
I've just got rid of a dozen stubbies from June 2016. Still got another dozen for someone else.
I can't drink the stuff.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:07 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

for the toucan i recipe from the multi page thread that is in the recipe forum. 

this is the recipe from the site that i think would be a winner

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/best-extra-stout.html

The recipe works well. But IMO needs 3+ months in the bottle. Also prime about half normal for best results.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:23 AM, Graculus said:

I had the first bottle last night of a batch I bottled three weeks ago.
It was quite drinkable. I quite enjoyed it. I was going to have another one tonight.

I use Dark Ale + Stout + 250grams Choc Malt. Dextrose sometimes of differing amounts.
I find anything up to six months I like it. After that a coffee flavour dominates and I hate coffee.
I've just got rid of a dozen stubbies from June 2016. Still got another dozen for someone else.
I can't drink the stuff.

A dozen you say...

Where are u located haha

• 5 months later...

For those who have done the toucan stout, how many litres is it made up to?

Could you sub in a tin of real ale instead of dark ale, to go with a tin of stout? I think someone on here did it once by accident but not sure how it turned out...?

I've done it twice, both times to 23 litres.

First time i had krausen spilling out of my F.V. everywhere.

Second time I filled to 18 litres, once the explosive krausen had dropped I gently topped up the remaining 5 litres (boiled/chilled) water. 👍 

I don't know about subbing the cans out, would still be good.

Cheers, Lee

The most recent batch I used a Morgan's dark extract kit as my fermentable (+1kg of dextrose @"20 litres),  I am unsure how much the stats vary from cooper extract tin ,but it was super chocolatey,   its was still very nice but nothing really like the commercial.

As Kelsey mentioned earlier perhaps, 100/150gs of roasted barley might help adress that.

Paddy, if i was you i'd be trying to clone a Guinness, one of my favorite brews. Guinness actually sour the beer a little. Use your recipe as posted but draw 2 lt off the top of the wort. Leave it on your kitchen bench for 3 or 4 days then boil it to kill the bacteria. Cool it in a controlled condition then add it to the fermenting wort. Think you will be happier with the result.

On 3/3/2019 at 12:35 PM, #granted+brew said:

Second time I filled to 18 litres, once the explosive krausen had dropped I gently topped up the remaining 5 litres (boiled/chilled) water. 👍 

I don't know about subbing the cans out, would still be good.

Cheers, Lee

I used to do this, but apparently the Krausen stuck to the sides of the FV is best left there and not in your beer. Maybe it has little impact on taste. You can add extra water on bottling day, if you use a bottling bucket.

cheers, Dan

On 9/14/2018 at 9:53 AM, Graculus said:

I found coopers stout kit + bits tastes better with Dextrose in the bits, even just 250 grams. With no dextrose I think it gets a little malty. Don’t know why, as I always add the same amount of malt extract (1 kg dme). Also, I love coffee, so when that taste comes through I’m in stout heaven. 

Archived