Coopers Community

1st Ginger Beer Attempt

JoeB7

Doing a ginger beer tomorrow using LHBS pre-mix & want to add fresh grated ginger. Any advice on quantity of ginger req'd for a 23 ltr FV?

Will the ginger just add aroma & palate kick or contribute to the ferment aswell? Just drop it in raw or steep, fry, bake, run a lawnmower over it...??

Would love to hear your advice, storys and mistakes on your ginger ninja brews

Cheers, JB

1 hour ago, Scooby 1525229719 said:

I've just had my 1st ginger sprout pop today, growing my own to hopefully have a ginger beer ready for Xmas. 

The recipe I have calls for fresh and powder ginger. Nothing done to the fresh ginger but put through a food processor. My guess it would be aroma and palate from fresh ginger. 

Please post your recipe Scoobs & I'll fling you some snacks?? happy dog GIF by Scooby-Doo

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

You are already past my expertise, I used to get a fresh wort kit also from the lhbs but I never saw a need to pimp it. Good luck though.

I'm using a can & they suggested a maltodextrine, dextrose, malt additive (that's right...the one they sold me). Was thinking the fresh ginger would give it "Ye Ole Stoney" punch I remember as a kid. Any thoughts on over dosing the fresh ginger affecting the yeast?

I would definitely add some fresh ginger and even some lemons maybe? I have tried a mangrove Jack's ginger beer pouch before and it was very artificial tasting and the beer has been sitting for a year, probably should dump it. Like I said I have no idea how to work with ginger, would you add it during fermentation during the boil or a tincture like a hop tea? I use the FWK because it was so good but they quit making them. I wish you luck.

Norris

@JoeB7 this recipe is from Kingsley Phillips not mine. Credit given where credit is due.

1 kit ginger beer

1kg Raw or dark brown sugar

500g fresh ginger 

50g powdered ginger 

250g honey

4 x kaffir lime leaf shredded

1 birds eye chili's sliced, seeds and all.

4 whole cloves

2 tsp nutmeg

2 tsp cinnamon

Method:
snap the fresh ginger into chunks and then put it into a food processer until it all becomes processed. If you don’t have a food processer, I suppose you could coarsely grate it all?

Bring 3 litres of water to boil in a big soup pot. Turn down to med heat…

Add honey and fresh ginger, close the lid and boil @ 20 mins.
Add chilli, and powdered ginger, boil @ 10 mins.
Add the dark brown sugar, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and boil @ 5 mins.
Turn the heat off, but keep the lid on the whole time. Tip in GB extract… stir well.

Then using a very large metal sterile sieve strain the liquid from your soup pot into the fermenter and chuck the solids left behind out.

Top up to 23L with cold water, pitch preferred yeast at 18c then ferment for 2 weeks at 17C, bottle and or keg gets better with more time…

If I don't grow mine by then I guess I'll buy the fresh ginger. 

P.S. Thanks for the snacks ? 

I made a ginger beer from scratch a couple of years ago. I was not a fan. As a result I didn't drink many and yesterday I found a few bottles still, in the back of a closet. I threw them out. 

The addition of a large amounts of sugar to water, yeast, and spices, doesn't make anything resembling beer, and always disappoints. It has no body / mouthfeel and is made with sweetener, usually the artificial kind.

Root beer and ginger beer have no business calling themselves beer, IMO. ?

If you like ginger, probably the best option is to buy a Jamaican Ginger Beer soda and pour a shot of that into one of your home brew.

Cheers,

Christina

On 9/9/2018 at 6:55 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

I made a ginger beer from scratch a couple of years ago. I was not a fan. As a result I didn't drink many and yesterday I found a few bottles still, in the back of a closet. I threw them out. 

The addition of a large amounts of sugar to water, yeast, and spices, doesn't make anything resembling beer, and always disappoints. It has no body / mouthfeel and is made with sweetener, usually the artificial kind.

Root beer and ginger beer have no business calling themselves beer, IMO. ?

If you like ginger, probably the best option is to buy a Jamaican Ginger Beer soda and pour a shot of that into one of your home brew.

Cheers,

Christina

Geez, CHRISTINAS1 ....... Tell us what you really think ?. Can we agree upon 'brewed' soft drink then ???? Half the commercial shite in bottle-o's shouldn't be called beer either ?.

6 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

Geez, CHRISTINAS1 ....... Tell us what you really think ?. Can we agree upon 'brewed' soft drink then ???? Half the commercial shite in bottle-o's shouldn't be called beer either ?.

Yes, we can agree on brewed soft drink. ?

But to anyone considering making an online recipe, I'd recommend first scaling the recipe to 4L, to see if you like it. You don't want to be stuck with a large amount that you don't like, since ginger is expensive.

Archived